A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 02:37:19 pm
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Large Downtown Tulsa Movie Theater  (Read 63395 times)
Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #165 on: November 15, 2011, 02:46:15 pm »

I never go to theaters.  Too comfortable in my house and I can pause it any time to make dinner, pop another beer, etc.  No loud talkers other than my wife and no teens making asses of themselves or uncontrolled kids running around making asses of their parents.

The only thing to get me to a theater is this kind of development.

+1

I think the wife and I have been to the theater like once in the past 5-7 years... that was to see The Dark Knight at IMAX.  Before that, I can't even tell you the last movie I saw in the theater... it may have been one of the Star Wars prequels, LOL.

And the #1 thing that keeps us away are the things that have been talked about... blabby teenagers w/ their cellphones, screaming kids, etc.

And yes... I have a nice big screen TV at my house with a Blue-Ray player, nice sound, etc.  So it's just more comfortable there.  Basically I need a reason to go to a movie theater... not just a big screen and big sound.

What Blake is talking about is the exact thing that would get us to the theater again.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #166 on: November 15, 2011, 03:00:26 pm »

Since Blake's theater concept essentially includes dinner/drink with a movie, I think the more glitzy approach is perfect.  $1 more for a ticket to enjoy a movie in a great space with good food and drink options would easily be my first choice over current theaters.

Blake's point about the seeming disjointed nature of our DT development is a good one.  A theater is probably one of those types of businesses than can leap frog south on Elgin and help jump start more development around it.  In time, all of our disparate areas from the BOK to Brady to Blue Dome to East End to Deco will become somewhat seamlessly conncected, but each with its own distinct identiy and appeal.  I think we will end up with a much better and uniquely Tulsa downtown than had we tried to shove everything into one predisignated area.  There will probably be some bumps  and moments of "why is that there" along the way, but worth it in the end.
onehandoneheart
Citizen

« Reply #167 on: November 15, 2011, 07:28:50 pm »

The theater concept sounds awesome! Is this the coliseum site that Blake is talking about?

brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #168 on: November 16, 2011, 06:40:13 am »

Did i miss his workaround somewhere?
Drinks and a movie? Is Blake planning on changing Oklahoma's liquor laws?

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #169 on: November 16, 2011, 06:48:18 am »

Trying to say he prefers theaters that serve popcorn buckets with a hole in the bottom?

Breadburner?....is that you??

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #170 on: November 16, 2011, 06:51:20 am »

Did i miss his workaround somewhere?
Drinks and a movie? Is Blake planning on changing Oklahoma's liquor laws?

It would probably be easier to just make a donation to the correct campaign funds at ABLE and get the correct interpretation of the existing laws.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #171 on: November 16, 2011, 07:21:22 am »

It would probably be easier Easly to just make a donation to the correct campaign funds at ABLE and get the correct interpretation of the existing laws.

FIFY
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #172 on: November 16, 2011, 10:31:21 am »

FIFY

I like what you did there.  Very clever.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #173 on: November 16, 2011, 10:35:40 am »

FIFY

I believe Easly is gone and he's been replaced by someone else's pockets.  At least I was pretty sure I read that the other day.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #174 on: November 17, 2011, 08:34:21 am »

I believe Easly is gone and he's been replaced by someone else's pockets.  At least I was pretty sure I read that the other day.

Don't see an Easly, but there is a Fallin on the commission.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #175 on: November 17, 2011, 04:38:25 pm »

To serve alcohol it has to be 21 and up and serve meals that are eaten with a fork... apperently.  Which explains the non stadium theater part.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #176 on: November 17, 2011, 10:55:54 pm »

To serve alcohol it has to be 21 and up and serve meals that are eaten with a fork... apperently.  Which explains the non stadium theater part.

Giving drinkers a multi-pronged weapon?  Tsk Tsk.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #177 on: November 18, 2011, 10:43:13 am »

Trying to say he prefers theaters that serve popcorn buckets with a hole in the bottom?

Your personal bucket will be useless to anyone else.....Tic-Tac whales mouth........ Grin

Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #178 on: December 29, 2011, 09:01:57 am »

http://parislemon.com/post/14967290447/roger-ebert-on-why-movie-revenue-is-dropping

Ebert's article (included in the link above) is a good read, but it was Siegler's comments that got me thinking about Blake's theater in Tulsa.
zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #179 on: December 29, 2011, 04:10:59 pm »

To serve alcohol it has to be 21 and up and serve meals that are eaten with a fork... apparently.  Which explains the non stadium theater part.

I would think this would be an ideal age group, 21+ have money, most of his customers would be young professionals, 25-30+ and serving a meal with the movie, as long as people remembered, just like in a restaurant TURN YOUR PHONES OFF!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org