A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:24:58 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spexton moving  (Read 6174 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« on: January 27, 2011, 07:26:15 am »

Per their Facebook:

We will be moving the Spexton Store into the bottom of the First Place Tower, over the next few months! The new location is in the center of the Deco District, in the height of downtown on 5th between Main & Boston.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 07:46:44 am »

Saw their spot yesterday  (There was a sign in the window)...
It's a super small nook.... The former Chase Bank ATM nook.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 10:19:26 am »

Per their Facebook:

We will be moving the Spexton Store into the bottom of the First Place Tower, over the next few months! The new location is in the center of the Deco District, in the height of downtown on 5th between Main & Boston.

Deco District?

Daniel's head is going to explode.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 02:20:58 pm »

Noticed today that the Spexton nook is now open "by appointment only"
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 02:38:53 pm »

Noticed today that the Spexton nook is now open "by appointment only"

Dislike.

Please excuse my rant, but ....

Having lived in many places, the thing that really bothers me about Tulsa is the way business owners seem to only want to be open at the very busiest times. How many restaurants do we have that are open 11-2, then 4-8, but not on Sundays, nor Mondays, only for lunch on Tuesdays, closed for private parties every other Saturday, etc, etc, etc?

If you want to own a business, you're going to have to be open during less busy periods.

Either open a business or don't, but don't open a business and put the onus on the customers to try and decipher when you're open, when you're closed for a private party, when an appointment is needed.

Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 08:47:17 am »

Dislike.

Please excuse my rant, but ....

Having lived in many places, the thing that really bothers me about Tulsa is the way business owners seem to only want to be open at the very busiest times. How many restaurants do we have that are open 11-2, then 4-8, but not on Sundays, nor Mondays, only for lunch on Tuesdays, closed for private parties every other Saturday, etc, etc, etc?

If you want to own a business, you're going to have to be open during less busy periods.

Either open a business or don't, but don't open a business and put the onus on the customers to try and decipher when you're open, when you're closed for a private party, when an appointment is needed.

Sort of related to this, but one of my pet peeves is that so many local "service" type businesses (tailors, shoe repair places, etc.) close at either 5:00 or 5:30... and aren't open on weekends.  It drives me crazy when I have to hustle and fight traffic on the way home from work hoping beyond hope that I can make it before closing.

What I don't get is that so often, their hours are like 9:00-5:00. What's the deal with that?  You're opening too late for me to drop something off before work and closing too early for me to drop off or pick up after work.

Why not just push your hours up to 10:00-6:00?  Then at least I have a fighting chance of getting there after work.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 11:48:11 am »

Sort of related to this, but one of my pet peeves is that so many local "service" type businesses (tailors, shoe repair places, etc.) close at either 5:00 or 5:30... and aren't open on weekends.  It drives me crazy when I have to hustle and fight traffic on the way home from work hoping beyond hope that I can make it before closing.

What I don't get is that so often, their hours are like 9:00-5:00. What's the deal with that?  You're opening too late for me to drop something off before work and closing too early for me to drop off or pick up after work.

Why not just push your hours up to 10:00-6:00?  Then at least I have a fighting chance of getting there after work.

I know, I want to use local shops and the hours especially in downtown can be irksome for those that work elsewhere. I'm noticed that Glacier altered their hours in the Brady to be open later (when their potential customers are actually on the street).
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 12:09:10 pm »

I know, I want to use local shops and the hours especially in downtown can be irksome for those that work elsewhere. I'm noticed that Glacier altered their hours in the Brady to be open later (when their potential customers are actually on the street).
Yes. I love Glacier because of that. Open Friday and Saturday evenings so I can stop there en route to a Drillers game or dinner or drinks. Cherry Street merchants need to pick up on that memo. I rarely shop at those places just because I don't want to make a separate, mid-day Saturday trip there, then go back later for dinner and drinks.

I eat at chain restaurants more than I'd like just because of better hours (not many chains are closed Sundays. not many of them have those weird 11-2, then 4-8 type hours). Plus I know chains are far, far less likely to close 45 minutes early because they're slow. Nothing's more infuriating than checking hours before visiting only to find out a restaurant closed early or has a private party. It seems to happen to me at least once a month.

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 03:12:34 pm »

Who really gives a rip....

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 04:20:18 pm »

Spexton is open limited hours because they manufacture their own products. The current space has no room for the manufacturing side and it is a 2-person company.

They tried to get in many locations that would allow them to do both but most main/boston property owners have their heads up their... well, you know and would not rent or would rather rent to an office than retail.
zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 07:47:41 am »

Deco District?

Daniel's head is going to explode.

Ya its a made up name by a former marketing person with Kanbar that needed free publicity for a failed business downtown..pretty funny how people still use it....guess they drank his koolaid
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 11:20:39 am »

Ya its a made up name by a former marketing person with Kanbar that needed free publicity for a failed business downtown..pretty funny how people still use it....guess they drank his koolaid

I think it's descriptive and appropriate. No Kool-aid required.
dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 01:43:57 pm »

I think it's descriptive and appropriate. No Kool-aid required.

Not to go off topic, but you're right, it's descriptive... of another area. And I'm sure it's appropriate, too, for another area.

For a long time, downtown merchants have been caught in a Catch-22. There was no one around after lunch, so they closed shop. Because they were closed, no one had a reason to go there. Endless cycle of nothingness. Now, there are more people downtown after hours, but it can still be pretty sporadic. It's improving, but it hasn't reached critical mass yet. I think in the next couple of years, we'll see more and more people downtown, and more and more businesses open after 5 and on weekends.

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org