A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:39:35 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 139   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is The Occupy Wall Street Movement an Answer to The Tea Party Movement?  (Read 379129 times)
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2011, 03:32:04 pm »

No, they wouldn't all fall into agreement which in the long term will be their demise. How can you run with just one blogger's list of demands when the intent of the movement is to make Corporate America accountable for the great wealth gap by changing their abusive and self serving ways? I'm not defending this movement, but they sure would seem to have a stronger network than the Baggers did at first. Of course, now that the GOP has done a mind meld with the far right faction their network is more united than ever before even if they did have to blackmail the US Speaker of the House into leaving his post.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2011, 03:37:28 pm »

I assume not, but he's offering the only set of demands they have.  I'm sure if you disseminated this list through the crowd they would all fall into agreement. 

Ralph Nader where are you?

It looks like it's just entered into a forum as if Sauerkraut listed demands on our forum.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2011, 03:53:08 pm »

Awesome and a little weird!  Marxist Francis Fox Priven addresses the crowd.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsK2WeO7VbQ&feature=share[/youtube]

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2011, 04:03:43 pm »

So you post a list of demands from some dude and claim it represents the entire movement and now a 8 minute video?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2011, 04:30:48 pm »

I'm finding this hilarious that the same set of people who seem to define the Tea Party and other conservative movements by the actions of one or a few don't condone such generalizations toward more left-leaning movements.  Why the double-standard?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2011, 05:34:35 pm »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsK2WeO7VbQ&feature=share[/youtube]

That's Russell Simmons standing next to her. 
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2011, 05:39:33 pm »

I'm finding this hilarious that the same set of people who seem to define the Tea Party and other conservative movements by the actions of one or a few don't condone such generalizations toward more left-leaning movements.  Why the double-standard?

Maybe because you do not see the Dims spooning these protesters unlike what you saw when the GOP integrated the teabaggers into their tent. Cheesy
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2011, 06:06:56 pm »

Maybe because you do not see the Dims spooning these protesters unlike what you saw when the GOP integrated the teabaggers into their tent. Cheesy

Sounds like MoveOn is pretty hot to jump in the sack with these fine young, if not clueless, Americans.  MoveOn is pretty much hardcore left Dim.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2011, 08:49:06 pm »

I'll raise you:

Where do these morons come from?

Law school students - after a long weekend of all nighters!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2011, 09:13:49 pm »

I'd imagine just to push back a bit.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2011, 09:21:15 pm »

I stand corrected.  They do have a list of demands on the Occupywallst.org website.  Demand #3 is interesting.  Aww hell, they're all interesting!

Demand one: Restoration of the living wage. This demand can only be met by ending "Freetrade" by re-imposing trade tariffs on all imported goods entering the American market to level the playing field for domestic family farming and domestic manufacturing as most nations that are dumping cheap products onto the American market have radical wage and environmental regulation advantages. Another policy that must be instituted is raise the minimum wage to twenty dollars an hr.

Demand two: Institute a universal single payer healthcare system. To do this all private insurers must be banned from the healthcare market as their only effect on the health of patients is to take money away from doctors, nurses and hospitals preventing them from doing their jobs and hand that money to wall st. investors.

Demand three: Guaranteed living wage income regardless of employment.

Demand four: Free college education.

Demand five: Begin a fast track process to bring the fossil fuel economy to an end while at the same bringing the alternative energy economy up to energy demand.

Demand six: One trillion dollars in infrastructure (Water, Sewer, Rail, Roads and Bridges and Electrical Grid) spending now.

Demand seven: One trillion dollars in ecological restoration planting forests, reestablishing wetlands and the natural flow of river systems and decommissioning of all of America's nuclear power plants.

Demand eight: Racial and gender equal rights amendment.

Demand nine: Open borders migration. anyone can travel anywhere to work and live.

Demand ten: Bring American elections up to international standards of a paper ballot precinct counted and recounted in front of an independent and party observers system.

Demand eleven: Immediate across the board debt forgiveness for all. Debt forgiveness of sovereign debt, commercial loans, home mortgages, home equity loans, credit card debt, student loans and personal loans now! All debt must be stricken from the "Books." World Bank Loans to all Nations, Bank to Bank Debt and all Bonds and Margin Call Debt in the stock market including all Derivatives or Credit Default Swaps, all 65 trillion dollars of them must also be stricken from the "Books." And I don't mean debt that is in default, I mean all debt on the entire planet period.

Demand twelve: Outlaw all credit reporting agencies.

Demand thirteen: Allow all workers to sign a ballot at any time during a union organizing campaign or at any time that represents their yeah or nay to having a union represent them in collective bargaining or to form a union.

These demands will create so many jobs it will be completely impossible to fill them without an open borders policy.

Lloyd J Hart 508-687-9153

Reads like an old FOTD post!

Number one is to make the minimum wage meaningful.  Very reasonable.  We have inflated the currency so horribly for the last 30 years that the "equivalent" minimum to 1981 would likely be double what it is today.  (Will have to calculate to give the real number.)  Deficit spending will do that to ya!

Number two - not sure single payer would help, but the rest of it is an accurate description of the problem.

Number three - that's an old Richard Nixon proposal from about 1971.  He had a pretty good proposal for tax reform that would likely have been the thing we remember about him if he could have just avoided committing all those felonies!

Number four - free college is one of those things that we have more than ample evidence returns dozens of times the investment to the economy, and in particular the tax coffers.  Should have been done long ago.

Number five - excellent idea.  We have heard Exxon, Shell, Chevron, et al telling us for years about how critical it is to lessen our dependence on imported oil.  And yet, they still don't explore, drill, or produce in about 75% of the areas they have available.  In the meantime, Germany just keeps on plugging along in its brilliant efforts to reduce dependency on those same energy sources.  NOT to completely eliminate, but to reduce the dependency - which also happens to be just good old common sense - never put all your eggs in one basket.

Numbers six and seven - if we can waste a trillion and a quarter just giving it to big banks, and another 3 to 4 trillion fighting the WRONG war, then putting this into fixing things here should be easy.

Number eight - hasn't happened without one.  Don't think it rises to the level of Constitutional amendment though.

Number nine - stupid.  Gotta have a "throw away" negotiating point.  This is it.

Number ten - LONG overdue - for BOTH sides!

Number eleven - might be an interesting experiment.  Kind of like with the game of Monopoly, sometimes ya just gotta start all over.  (The 'wealth' would likely start drifting back to many of the areas it resides now, but I bet not all.  For example, I bet Paris Hilton would not get much back.)

Number twelve and thirteen - both long overdue.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2011, 09:41:30 pm »

Sounds like MoveOn is pretty hot to jump in the sack with these fine young, if not clueless, Americans.  MoveOn is pretty much hardcore left Dim.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eF6vCv13bw[/youtube]

Idiots (Teabagger) get too much air time....we are polarized. But why this guy gets time, I don't know. You will not see or hear "anonymous" making such flagrant errors in judgement....
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2011, 10:07:03 pm »

Number one is to make the minimum wage meaningful.  Very reasonable.  We have inflated the currency so horribly for the last 30 years that the "equivalent" minimum to 1981 would likely be double what it is today.  (Will have to calculate to give the real number.)  Deficit spending will do that to ya!

http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

Minimum wage in 1980 was $3.10, worth $8.52 now.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2011, 10:22:19 pm »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eF6vCv13bw[/youtube]

Idiots (Teabagger) get too much air time....we are polarized. But why this guy gets time, I don't know. You will not see or hear "anonymous" making such flagrant errors in judgement....

I wonder if Bocephus even votes or if he's the typical clueless celebrity who should just shut up and play their music?  Now to answer why people like Hank Jr. gets air time it follows with why we are so polarized:

Problem with polarity seems to be that the media, instead of simply informing sees politics as entertainment, sort of a blood sport, so they keep trying to seek out the most extreme elements to represent one side or the other and keep the ratings up.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2011, 11:01:44 pm »

I wonder if Bocephus even votes or if he's the typical clueless celebrity who should just shut up and play their music?  Now to answer why people like Hank Jr. gets air time it follows with why we are so polarized:

Problem with polarity seems to be that the media, instead of simply informing sees politics as entertainment, sort of a blood sport, so they keep trying to seek out the most extreme elements to represent one side or the other and keep the ratings up.

Case in point:

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 139   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org