A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:32:31 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fusco's  (Read 11912 times)
rdj
City Father

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 10:29:30 am »

Parents went a week ago or so and my dad commented on how much more expensive the restaurant was as they had gone to an a la carte style menu where they had basicaly broken apart several dishes and charged in individual pieces (I mention this not to explain a la carte, but to stress that the menu had the same food, but presented and priced much differently).  There usual $75 for 2 with some wine and such was nearly $130 this time around.  $35 for 3 scallops was my dad's strongest complaint (keeping in mind, its 3 scallops + sauce, nothing else now).

As for the country club mention, I have heard from several people that a very prestigious local country club may be reorganizing their chef and food management, and assume Fusco would be a good fit, assuming he would want to surrender a ton of control and subject himself to the membership.

Tulsa Country Club has just hired a new chef, but I'm not sure that is who you are discussing.  They hired a chef from an up and coming local restaurant and he backed out from what I was told in a very unprofessional way.  The new hire is from the DC area but don't know any other details.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 12:44:26 pm »

Parents went a week ago or so and my dad commented on how much more expensive the restaurant was as they had gone to an a la carte style menu where they had basicaly broken apart several dishes and charged in individual pieces (I mention this not to explain a la carte, but to stress that the menu had the same food, but presented and priced much differently).  There usual $75 for 2 with some wine and such was nearly $130 this time around.  $35 for 3 scallops was my dad's strongest complaint (keeping in mind, its 3 scallops + sauce, nothing else now).

That's very disappointing and smells of desperation.  I though Fusco's Riverside Grill was already pushing the boundary of quality v. price, especially when compared to Flavor's.  Raising prices, especially in the current economics, is not going to help.  Tulsans will support high end restaurants, but only if there is a reasonable connection between the quality/quantity of the food and the dinning experience to the cost.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 01:24:50 pm »

Article in today's Tulsa World says Michael Fusco has left Fusco's Riverside Grill.

Chef Fusco leaves Fusco's restaurant

Chef Michael Fusco is no longer working at Fusco's in Kings Landing. MIKE SIMONS / Tulsa World file

By SCOTT CHERRY World Scene Writer
Published: 2/3/2012  2:29 AM
Last Modified: 2/3/2012  6:45 AM

Michael Fusco, one of the city's most celebrated chefs over the past 25 years, has left the restaurant that bears his name.

"When we reorganized last November (2010) we gave ourselves a year to get things worked out," Fusco said when contacted by phone. "We made money, and everything was fine, but with the new group of investors, things just weren't going where I wanted them to go.

"I also have a 4-year-old daughter and 2-year-old son, and I was working all of the time and not spending enough time with them."

He said it is his understanding the restaurant, located at 9912 Riverside Parkway in Kings Landing, soon will change its name from Fusco's to Riverside Grill.

He said attorney Phil Adamson is managing partner, and "there are three other more silent partners." He said his longtime sous chef, John Oje, has assumed executive chef duties.

"John was with me for 14 years, and this is a good deal for him, possibly some future part ownership," Fusco said.

"I know you hear rumors, but I'm leaving on good terms. Those guys really helped me keep the place running at a tough time, and I've had no better ally than Sharon King Davis (King Investments), who is the greatest landlord in the world. She went to bat for me at every opportunity."

Fusco said he plans to remain in Tulsa and pursue other job opportunities.

"My long-term goal is to teach culinary arts and both long- and short-term is to be a chef," he said. "I have one big deal I'm looking into, but I don't know if it is going to happen."

Fusco came to Tulsa from the East Coast to take the chef's job at Bodean Seafood in 1986. He worked at Bodean from 1986 to 1995 before opening Flavors with partner Henry Primeaux.

When his lease was up in 2007, Fusco moved to Kings Landing to open Michael Fusco's Riverside Grill with an additional partner, Tom Kivisto.

After the partnership melted in the wake of Kivisto's well-documented legal issues, the restaurant reorganized under the new ownership, and the name eventually was shortened to just Fusco's.

Original Print Headline: Fusco leaves Fusco's restaurant

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 01:36:38 pm »

Probably time for him to do something different anyhow.  I've heard a lot of "meh's" about this concept.  I loved Flavors and I loved Bodean's when he was the chef there.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org