A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:20:38 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: September 11  (Read 6593 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 11:17:52 am »

Just a thought...
Given how we celebrate the 4th of July and Memorial Day, what do you suppose 9/11 will be in fifty years?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 04:00:50 pm »

Just a thought...
Given how we celebrate the 4th of July and Memorial Day, what do you suppose 9/11 will be in fifty years?

Patriot Day.

In 50 years the memorial will be under water though.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 04:55:00 pm »

Patriot Day.

Where do you get that from?  Not saying that it's inaccurate, just wondering where the info came from.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 06:08:33 pm »

Where do you get that from?  Not saying that it's inaccurate, just wondering where the info came from.

I think he's inferring climate change and the rise of the sea level in that amount of time.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 06:59:48 pm »

Patriot Day.

But it won't matter since it will all be vapor due to high temperatures from global warming climate change.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 10:16:27 pm »

Such clowns...

But really, what will the date mean to future generations?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 08:31:20 am »

Such clowns...

But really, what will the date mean to future generations?

About what Arbor day or Armistice day does to the current generations.

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011, 08:37:53 am »

About what Arbor day or Armistice day does to the current generations.

I think it will have about the same impact as Pearl Harbor Day does to our generation(s).  We weren't around when it happened and many of those who were old enough to remember the Pearl Harbor attack are getting up there in age.  The ranks of WWII vets is really thinning out.

I believe it was the Union ROTC which secured getting the (mobile? portable?) Viet Nam memorial and they were calling it "Remembrance Day".

I could see something like a "Remembrance Day" actually becoming the fall holiday and Labor Day dropping off the calendar in 50 years.  More or less a day to honor those killed on 9/11 as well as other foreign and domestic incidents.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 01:56:09 pm »

There are some DVD's being sold about the attacks, a good one is "102 Minutes" it's new with never seen before footage during the attacks, alot of the footage is from regular people on the street with a camera, during the attacks no one was sure what was happening -after the 1st tower got hit many thought it was an accident- When that 2nd tower got hit everyone knew this was something else and they did not know at the time if another plane was on the way to crash into something else. The office workers saw people jumping out of the windows of tower one.. Reports of other attacks came over the radios- The DVD is  really interesting to watch. I recorded alot of the lived news footage myself during the day on my VCR. To be there on the streets of NY at the time must of been something else. Then when the towers fell people ran all over in panic. The dust from the towers had particles of glass & Mercury from the thousands of flourscent light bulbs in the buildings, plus asbestos, transformer coolant chemicals, lead and many other things mixed into a fine breatheable powder.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 02:09:51 pm »

The images I've seen are indelible in my mind.  I don't need to see any additional angles or even a repeat of the ones I've already seen.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 02:16:27 pm »

The images I've seen are indelible in my mind.  I don't need to see any additional angles or even a repeat of the ones I've already seen.
Yes -but it's mostly for historic reasons and for your kids to see in the future. Ten year old kids today were not even alive when the attacks happened. The images need to be saved and passed along for future generations to remember.. A person's  memory can fade in time.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2011, 02:23:56 pm »

Yes -but it's mostly for historic reasons and for your kids to see in the future. Ten year old kids today were not even alive when the attacks happened. The images need to be saved and passed along for future generations to remember.. A person's  memory can fade in time.

Death is death. Each generation has its own tragedies. I wouldn't want to pass such stuff on to my kids, but to each his own.

I remember the first time I saw pics of holocaust victims lined up in front of a trench full of bodies with soldiers shooting the next line of victims. I didn't need to see that to know the scope of the horror. Wish I hadn't actually. But you have a point that some things need to be remembered.

onward...through the fog
TurismoDreamin
Civic Leader

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2011, 10:11:38 pm »

I think it is CNBC or Fox that plays an old news broadcast annually. What makes it unique is that it is synced to real-time and shows exactly what was on with that broadcast at a particular time. I am not sure if they did it this year, but it does the best job of bringing me back to that moment.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org