A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:31:01 pm
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 75   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making the Case for Medical Marijuana  (Read 598113 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #720 on: February 21, 2017, 11:02:36 am »

So a couple dozen states have adopted various marijuana laws and have operated them for years.  We model ours on a state that is just now adopting laws and hasn't put them in practice yet.  That has minimal value from a "learn from the experiences of others" perspective.

Like liquor reform, we arent obligated to considering just the package-store association's desires.
"Suggested language" from special interest groups with a stake in the status quo arent our only option.

The states that are raking in revenue while enjoying a drop in drug crimes should be our model, rather than "what lobbyists do I need to brownnose to get re-elected."
Sen. Connie Johnson, Rep Joe Dorman etc. will surely weigh in before November 2018 when we are allowed to vote on whats left of the original petition
https://ballotpedia.org/Oklahoma_Medical_Marijuana_Legalization_Initiative,_State_Question_788_(2018)

Most of the homework has already been done:

Overview of MPP’s model state medical marijuana bill
https://www.mpp.org/issues/medical-marijuana/overview-of-mpps-model-state-medical-marijuana-bill/

Medical Marijuana Program - California Department of Public Health
https://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/MMP/Pages/default.aspx

Colorado on pot: America's imperfect marijuana model
http://weedrush.news21.com/colorado-on-pot-americas-imperfect-marijuana-model/

Medical Marijuana Rules and Statutes
https://public.health.oregon.gov/DiseasesConditions/ChronicDisease/MedicalMarijuanaProgram/Pages/legal.aspx

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #721 on: February 21, 2017, 04:29:33 pm »

Sure, leave it up to the DPS and A.B.L.E.
Is this the only scheme the unions would get behind?  Move the corruption from one pocket to another?

No.  First ya gotta get Okies to elect someone with at least half a brain to rein in both of those.

And yeah, I know we will never have the kind of enlightenment the people of this state deserve.   Er, uh...maybe we already have it...?

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #722 on: February 24, 2017, 05:07:54 pm »

Trump's vow to crack down on marijuana has 'unnerved' investors and caused stocks to tumble
Administrations warning to the marijuana industry that there will be "greater enforcement" of federal laws that outlaw the drug is already spooking investors after years of heavy interest in the business.

http://www.businessinsider.com/marijuana-investors-unnerved-by-trump-comments-on-enforcing-weed-laws-2017-2

Medical marijuana is currently legal in 28 states and Washington, D.C.,while recreational marijuana is legal in eight states and D.C.
NOW who is the kill-jobs-with-government-regulations hack?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #723 on: February 27, 2017, 10:57:28 am »

'Wrong time to pull back': Colorado governor chastises Trump administration for anti-legal-weed stance

"I think it's the wrong time to pull back from this experiment, and if the federal government's going to come and begin closing in and arresting people that are doing what's legal in different states, my god, it creates a level of conflict that's going to be very difficult," Hickenlooper said. "So we're, we are trying to regulate and enforce public safety around both medical marijuana and recreational marijuana as aggressively as we possibly can."

http://www.businessinsider.com/john-hickenlooper-legal-weed-colorado-trump-2017-2

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #724 on: February 27, 2017, 12:59:32 pm »

'Wrong time to pull back': Colorado governor chastises Trump administration for anti-legal-weed stance

"I think it's the wrong time to pull back from this experiment, and if the federal government's going to come and begin closing in and arresting people that are doing what's legal in different states, my god, it creates a level of conflict that's going to be very difficult," Hickenlooper said. "So we're, we are trying to regulate and enforce public safety around both medical marijuana and recreational marijuana as aggressively as we possibly can."

http://www.businessinsider.com/john-hickenlooper-legal-weed-colorado-trump-2017-2

So much for Trump's lies about 'states rights'.... 

Just more of the same from him.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #725 on: February 27, 2017, 01:02:03 pm »

Just more of the same from him.

Just for kicks, name me one other indigestible substance that is regulated ONLY at the state level.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #726 on: February 27, 2017, 01:10:55 pm »

Just for kicks, name me one other indigestible substance that is regulated ONLY at the state level.

Marijuana is not indigestible.  Brownies...cookies...cake...  Yummy!!

Can't think of one on short notice.  And I would hope there aren't many that have been determined to be public health hazards that aren't.  That's kinda one big point to Federal regulations - since the states have a long, proven record of failure in that, and they are things that apply across all 50 states, they SHOULD be regulated at the Fed level. 

The big problem is when prohibition is in place for something that is not only not a particular danger, but in fact is proven to be beneficial in a wide variety of applications, then the Fed needs to step away from the corporate payoffs for once and make MJ legal.  Put their actions where their lies are - personal freedom,  liberty to live ones own life the way one sees best, etc...all that stuff that they make noise about, then prove the lie by interfering with on a massive scale.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #727 on: February 27, 2017, 01:13:35 pm »

Meant ingestible. Spell check.

My point was that this would actually fly in the face of pretty much every regulated substance traded in this country. The feds regulate it all, why should weed be any different. And that your swipe at Trump (while deserved in many cases) is again for you a lame attempt to smear him for something that truly is not a big thing, or even his thing. Weed laws predate Trump, if you want to take a swipe at him for not doing something to change it, then by all means go for it. I believe Trump may have also made some comments while running regarding adhering to the law, which the last President technically wasn't doing, particularly in this area.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 01:16:58 pm by erfalf » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #728 on: February 27, 2017, 01:33:14 pm »

Meant ingestible. Spell check.

My point was that this would actually fly in the face of pretty much every regulated substance traded in this country. The feds regulate it all, why should weed be any different. And that your swipe at Trump (while deserved in many cases) is again for you a lame attempt to smear him for something that truly is not a big thing, or even his thing. Weed laws predate Trump, if you want to take a swipe at him for not doing something to change it, then by all means go for it. I believe Trump may have also made some comments while running regarding adhering to the law, which the last President technically wasn't doing, particularly in this area.

Ahh....yeah...ingestible is good.

??    Trump is the one who said he was gonna start pushing enforcement harder, so, yeah it is his thing.   All he had to do was say nothing and it would not have been "his thing".  But with that massive ego and the huge narcissistic flaw in his nature, he just couldn't do that.

I really don't have to try at all to smear Trump.  He makes it almost too easy - all I have to do is make note of all the stupid stuff he says and does, and the lies he tells.  It may sound like it is me smearing, given the extreme magnitude of stupid he embraces, but there really is a big difference between that and just commenting/reporting.  One thing that is sad is that you don't seem to recognize the problems with all he says and does - I continue to hold out hope for you cause generally you are a thoughtful, interesting, mostly rational, commentor here!!  And I enjoy hearing about Bartlesville, too.

As for adhering to the law - do you mean like Bush didn't do when he authorized, condoned, and advocated torture - a war crime - as official policy of the US??  And as Trump has also said that he supports and wants to bring back?  As condemned by John McCain...   Those laws??

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #729 on: February 27, 2017, 01:44:25 pm »

Someone might also want to mention that his denigration of the troops does nothing to help their morale.

TRUMP: We have to start winning wars again. I have to say, when I was young, in high school and college, everybody used to say “we never lost a war.” We never lost a war, you remember, some of you were right there with me and you remember we never lost a war. America never lost. And now, we never win a war. We never win. And we don’t fight to win. We don’t fight to win

And now, 43 is the voice of reason.  Who'd have thought?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZHnChLcRr0

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #730 on: February 27, 2017, 02:18:30 pm »

As for adhering to the law - do you mean like Bush didn't do when he authorized, condoned, and advocated torture - a war crime - as official policy of the US??  And as Trump has also said that he supports and wants to bring back?  As condemned by John McCain...   Those laws??

We all have to start somewhere. haha

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #731 on: February 27, 2017, 03:10:19 pm »

We all have to start somewhere. haha

Well Trump hasn't started yet.  Still illegally hiring illegal aliens in his hotels.

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #732 on: March 02, 2017, 10:23:10 am »

State Rep. Proctor is ignoring states with successful track records in favor of one with no record and the promise of a narco-bureaucracy with a slush fund.

Seems insincere.

Pot sales pay for schools and road repairs, but Trump might take that away

“Money is now going into schools instead of marijuana dealers on the sidewalk, and frankly that is not an unhealthy thing,” said Washington state Gov. Jay Inslee.
Marijuana tax revenues nearly doubled in Washington state in 2016 compared with the previous year, hitting $256 million. Inslee said they could exceed $700 million in the next two years.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/article135497108.html

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #733 on: March 24, 2017, 12:37:38 pm »

Borrowing from the liquor reform thread...
Yeah, but gotta keep chipping away.  The walls will fall sooner or later. 

I do think though, that the tides are turning on all of this.  Maybe not this time, but it will happen.

"If we bring this out in the open, we can generate revenue legally rather than for the black market"
Based on sales of recreational marijuana in Colorado, the Marijuana Policy Project, a national advocacy group, estimates sales in Illinois could generate about $350 million to $700 million per year.
Last year, a new state law also decriminalized the possession of less than 10 grams of marijuana, punishing it instead with fines.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-illinois-marijuana-legalization-proposal-met-20170322-story.html

39 states improved their medical cannabis laws last year
https://www.leafly.com/news/politics/10-best-worst-states-medical-cannabis

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #734 on: March 26, 2017, 11:10:46 am »

Medical or recreational marijuana will be legalized in all states by 2021, firm predicts
Several states in the Deep South are changing the way they regulate marijuana

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/medical-or-recreational-marijuana-will-be-legalized-in-all-states-by-2021-firm-predicts-032017.html

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 75   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org