A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:43:03 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well Written Article by Warren Buffett Today  (Read 10733 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2011, 09:39:45 pm »

My record level of attentiveness on Fox News so far is about 10 minutes before I audibly shriek.

There's hope for you yet.
 Grin

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2011, 11:07:20 pm »

I'm sure that her opinions are based on her reality.

Edit:
Your statement leads me to state that Bill O, Hannity, and Greta are smart, reality-based, news commentators.  The fact that you vehemently disagree with everything they stand for is, in my mind, irrelevant.
Maddow may be dogmatic, but she applies reason to arrive at her opinion. There are prevalent memes built around O'Reilly, Hannity, and Beck's steadfast refusal to do so. All are dogmatic, but only some have an intellectual foundation for their allegiance to their team.

There are, to be sure, some conservatives who do let reality intrude, but they are mostly shouted down by the usual suspects. Given the constant redefinition of the term conservative, I don't know how long the old guard will be allowed to continue using the term.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2011, 04:49:53 am »

He should given his statements about not paying enough.  Giving money to philanthropic organizations he wants to support is not the same as paying taxes to go for programs he may disagree with.

Please explain this.  Why must he voluntarily pay the taxes he believes his income group should pay in order to be taken seriously?
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2011, 05:02:55 am »

I'm sure that her opinions are based on her reality.

Edit:
Your statement leads me to state that Bill O, Hannity, and Greta are smart, reality-based, news commentators.  The fact that you vehemently disagree with everything they stand for is, in my mind, irrelevant.

The difference between she and the Hannity/O'Reilly crowd is that she's pretty much fact based.  Of course I agree with her politics, but I'm also capable of seeing that she makes an effort to source her opinions.  The guys on Fox News could really care less -- as far as I can tell -- about fact-based anything.  They want to shore up an ideology first and foremost and everything else is fungible. 
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2011, 05:41:37 am »

Please explain this.  Why must he voluntarily pay the taxes he believes his income group should pay in order to be taken seriously?

I was going to spin this back at you and ask why not.  I believe our differences will prevent either of us from convincing the other.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2011, 05:48:55 am »

The guys on Fox News could really care less -- as far as I can tell -- about fact-based anything. 

We disagree.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2011, 07:00:26 am »

The RWRE will always hate Maddow and try to downplay what she says, because she shows their lies for what they are.  Her politics are a little much for me sometimes, but she is intelligent, as contrasted to the Hannity, O'Reilly, Limbaugh, Drudge, Savage group.  And she tells the truth, also as contrasted to same.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2011, 07:03:05 am »

The RWRE will always hate Maddow and try to downplay what she says, because she shows their lies for what they are.  Her politics are a little much for me sometimes, but she is intelligent, as contrasted to the Hannity, O'Reilly, Limbaugh, Drudge, Savage group.  And she tells the truth, also as contrasted to same.

What about her politics do you dislike?

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2011, 07:10:51 am »

Jon Stewart and Politico picked up on what I posted yesterday as well, "Anyone notice that even though Ron Paul came in a close second in the Iowa straw poll that he was totally ignored? MSNBC as well as all the nets were reporting that its now a three person race.....and Paul is not one of the three! They made that decision for us."

I'm surprised that more has not been posted about this around here. Whether or not Paul is electable seems irrelevant to whether or not his election, and his views, are newsworthy. I totally understand why crowds applaud his remarks, though I believe many of his proposals are simply not workable. They are however, insightful and a starting point for change. That he isn't being covered is ludicrous. A real indictment of current journalism.

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2011, 07:11:41 am »

Keep hearing all the crap about the bad things Obama has done to the economy, and yet, when looking at the increases in debt over the last 30 years, the 8 just preceding his were ALL on an upward slope, while each of the deficits since his first budget have been decreasing.  Reality is a grumble for the RWRE Murdochians.

And jobs - well anyone who doesn't know where the jobs went has either been asleep for the last 30 years.  Is too young to understand.  Or is a congenital idiot...i.e. RWRE.  (Can you spell NAFTA??)

And sadly, cutting taxes for the richest again also won't bring them back.

So, with all the lies, distortions, misinformation and all the other debris being slung by the RWRE, where is the proposed solution??  Never has there been a plan advanced to help solve the problems that seem to plague us.  Only noise, mental clutter and the ubiquitous neener nonsense.  Perhaps we could get a grass roots statement here from the resident Obama bashers??  What is the plan??

Now, as with every situation there are conditions - no previously proven failed plan can be advanced.  Tax cuts for the rich for example.  Obliteration of the basic retirement program (Social Security) since the previous system of pensions and defined retirements was obliterated by Reagan.  No trillion dollar bailouts for big banks and insurance companies and big oil.

Wow!  Doesn't leave them much to talk to, but hey, reality is a grumble.

Bet they don't have one.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2011, 07:12:48 am »

What about her politics do you dislike?

She is pro-gun control.  And not meaning to be able to hit what you aim at.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2011, 07:14:11 am »

Man....we are all over the place with this thread.

onward...through the fog
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2011, 07:31:42 am »

My major problem with MSNBC is that when I hear a story that raises my eyebrows because no one else is reporting it, I have to go to other news outlets or do the legwork myself only to find out it's massively bogus, and usually targeted at inflaming racial, sexual, or "group dynamic" rage.

For instance, Rick Perry speaking in Iowa made this comment when talking about the national debt. "That big black cloud that hangs over America, that debt that is so monstrous.”

Immediately Ed Shultz saw this opportunity and edited out the first part of the speech, then edited the last part of this sentence and played it, inferring that Rick Perry was making a racial slur against President Obama. "That big black cloud that hangs over America."

So immediately the race fueled media goes nuts!  Hip Hop Wired Magazine runs an article titled: “Governor Rick Perry Calls President Obama A ‘Big Black Cloud.’”  In that article they take it uppon themselves to "paraphrase" the quote as “a big black guy running around the country that I’m not to happy about.”

MSNBC plants these seeds all the time, relying on an under-media willing to reiterate anything they report on the basis of their establishment as a reputable news source.

It would be different if they just spun stories like Faux and other outlets, but they prey on the standard liberal passions related to inflaming groups.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2011, 08:18:48 am »

MSNBC plants these seeds all the time, relying on an under-media willing to reiterate anything they report on the basis of their establishment as a reputable news source.

It would be different if they just spun stories like Faux and other outlets, but they prey on the standard liberal passions related to inflaming groups.

How exactly is that different than Fox or other media outlets? The lead in on the headline story this morning on Fox was something like this, "Two of those politicians that exited the state and refused to do the jobs they were elected for....were re-elected in Wisconsin" said with dripping, vengeful, anger in his voice. That isn't journalism, thats trench politics.  Remember, MSNBC was a reaction to Fox's unabashed politically slanted "news" reporting. Its not a spin outlet, its a political outlet. Any Democratic guest who doesn't understand that and doesn't prepare for their interview as though it is a Tea Party town hall meeting is devoured.

They plant their seeds, they prey on their standard conservative passions, and they inflame their groups. And, they use code words. Don't play Perry off for stupid. He didn't use the words "black cloud" over America cavalierly no matter in what context.

onward...through the fog
JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2011, 08:19:52 am »

My major problem with MSNBC is that when I hear a story that raises my eyebrows because no one else is reporting it, I have to go to other news outlets or do the legwork myself only to find out it's massively bogus, and usually targeted at inflaming racial, sexual, or "group dynamic" rage.

So you are saying that MSNBC did the same thing that Faux did during the Jon Stewart/Herman Cain issue?  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org