A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:49:54 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well Written Article by Warren Buffett Today  (Read 10729 times)
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 01:03:26 pm »

I believe they think they are evangelists for political truth and fairness. So did Pravda. But I enjoy watching them as a political arm and laughing at the constraints that make them say silly things. Like any cult, they don't care about what the rest of us think of them, they have each other. Ahh...if only the mainstream liberals and their imaginary msm had such cohesiveness.

Its fun to watch normal guests, who don't understand what it is all about or feel they have to utilize them for pr, wriggle around and hold their tongues lest they be targetted and skewered. I saw a conservative pollster just get hammered by some blond winger "journalist" who yelled at him for disagreeing with her. Truth was she misunderstood his remarks. He was astounded at her behavior but the others hardly noted it.

My record level of attentiveness on Fox News so far is about 10 minutes before I audibly shriek.

onward...through the fog
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 01:06:44 pm »

I believe they think they are evangelists for political truth and fairness. So did Pravda. But I enjoy watching them as a political arm and laughing at the constraints that make them say silly things. Like any cult, they don't care about what the rest of us think of them, they have each other. Ahh...if only the mainstream liberals and their imaginary msm had such cohesiveness.

Its fun to watch normal guests, who don't understand what it is all about or feel they have to utilize them for pr, wriggle around and hold their tongues lest they be targetted and skewered. I saw a conservative pollster just get hammered by some blond winger "journalist" who yelled at him for disagreeing with her. Truth was she misunderstood his remarks. He was astounded at her behavior but the others hardly noted it.

My record level of attentiveness on Fox News so far is about 10 minutes before I audibly shriek.

What is a "blond winger?"  I don't think I am familiar with that term.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 01:23:41 pm »

I think I just generated a new term! Blond Winger.

You could have deduced that it was a woman by my use of the pronoun "her". More accurately she was a young, twenty something, woman with short blond hair and an argumentative attitude. The panelist I think was Dick Morris who was pretty irritated with her.

onward...through the fog
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 01:25:51 pm »

I think I just generated a new term! Blond Winger.

You could have deduced that it was a woman by my use of the pronoun "her". More accurately she was a young, twenty something, woman with short blond hair and an argumentative attitude. The panelist I think was Dick Morris who was pretty irritated with her.

Oh, so it was a young argumentative woman.  Got it!

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 01:35:04 pm »

Oh, so it was a young argumentative woman.  Got it!

There is a different word used for such female "journalists" on other networks who respond inappropriately when they misunderstand those around them. They are called talk show hosts or ex-journalists.

onward...through the fog
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 02:10:40 pm »

There is a different word used for such female "journalists" on other networks who respond inappropriately when they misunderstand those around them. They are called talk show hosts or ex-journalists.

Why do they have to be female.  I've seen many male journalists act the same way.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 03:06:16 pm »

True enough. This one was a female.

FWIW I have no patience with the three major network news shows either. This morning GMA shaped up to be "news of the weird" from Urban Tulsa. Hated Couric. All of them seem to think we really have an unquenchable interest in their lives, their relationships with each other and their humor. When it comes to political news you can tell they are scared.

I think MSNBC has lowered their standards lately as well. Anyone notice that even though Ron Paul came in a close second in the Iowa straw poll that he was totally ignored? MSNBC as well as all the nets were reporting that its now a three person race.....and Paul is not one of the three! They made that decision for us.

I do like the female on MSNBC that has her own 30minutes after Hardball. Not because of her politics per se, but because she has insights and can express herself.

onward...through the fog
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 03:29:46 pm »

I do like the female on MSNBC that has her own 30minutes after Hardball. Not because of her politics per se, but because she has insights and can express herself.

That's Rachel Maddow.  Despite all the "Rachel Madcow" bullhonky, she's a smart, reality-based opinion reporter. 
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 03:48:21 pm »

That's Rachel Maddow.  Despite all the "Rachel Madcow" bullhonky, she's a smart, reality-based opinion reporter. 

"opinion reporter" 

Does that mean she reports her opinion or the opinion of others?

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 04:27:38 pm »

"opinion reporter" 

Does that mean she reports her opinion or the opinion of others?

Much like the entire cast of Faux News, whether or not they call themselves reporters.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
dbacks fan
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 04:30:02 pm »

Faux News, we distort, you decipher.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2011, 07:02:36 pm »

Unfortunately, it will do nothing to solve the problem, but it will motivate the liberal base.  We can only hope that they have learned from this experiment and become a bit more leery of this tactic.  It's not playing as well in the media as I think they had hoped.  Mr. Axelrod Buffett's article really didn't pack any punch without a true gesture by Buffett himself.

The economic growth inherent in your estimate of the 10 year value of such a tax increase will itself significantly reduce expenditures on Medicaid, UI, and SNAP. The problem will be solved by focusing on jobs rather than repeated attempts to transform the social order.

Oh, and class warfare? That ain't class warfare. This is class warfare:

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:16:17 pm by nathanm » Logged

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2011, 09:13:49 pm »

... the graph you posted is a little misleading.  I believe it says the total taxable income based upon the Adjusted Gross Income, something about that doesn't sit quite right. 

The difference between AGI and taxable income is old age or blind condition, standard or itemized deductions and exemptions.  Seems pretty simple.

Buffett has pretty much always stated that he does not get taxed enough. ...  He is not going to simply decide to not take a deduction because he doesn't think he is taxed enough.

He should given his statements about not paying enough.  Giving money to philanthropic organizations he wants to support is not the same as paying taxes to go for programs he may disagree with.

It would be like any of us deciding we are not going to take the child deduction because we are getting a big refund. 

Getting a big withholding refund is not the same as a tax refund. 

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2011, 09:33:36 pm »

If it was sustainable to tax the rich at 100% it would not be enough revenue to make a difference.  Even if you go beyond that and take 100% of the taxable income of those who make more than $100k, you only come up with $3.4 trillion. Not enough to pay for the President's planned spending of $3.6 trillion this year.

How far down in income level would it be required to take, in taxes, everything above that level to pay for $3.6 Trillion?  Don't take everything the rich make, only what they make above the magic level that would pay for $3.6 T.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2011, 09:35:38 pm »

That's Rachel Maddow.  Despite all the "Rachel Madcow" bullhonky, she's a smart, reality-based opinion reporter.  

I'm sure that her opinions are based on her reality.

Edit:
Your statement leads me to state that Bill O, Hannity, and Greta are smart, reality-based, news commentators.  The fact that you vehemently disagree with everything they stand for is, in my mind, irrelevant.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 09:48:57 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org