A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:22:56 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walk Score Fun  (Read 20315 times)
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 06:33:37 pm »

Rob, I do miss Renaissance/Flo-Pa for it's great walkability.
Would be better if all the sidewalks were still there. Tongue

63, BTW. It should be slightly higher thanks to the new lunch place on 15th whose name I can't recall.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 06:35:13 pm by nathanm » Logged

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 06:46:08 pm »

I got a 72.  I'm on 45th pl between peoria and riverside.  It is pretty walkable.  Most times it's not even worth the gas for me to just walk to QT if I need beer. 

Also @theartist, your idea about the parking lots out in front of reasors and the like: I have expressed that exact sentiment before.  I don't know how one could go about convincing the owners to do that, but it would be FANTASTIC.  Considering the fact that those lots are never full (at least the reasors one isn't), i'd say there is room for them.  I fee the same way about the parking lots in front of the target and reasors at 21st and yale.  Now f only I or anyone I knew had money....stupid grad school.....Sad

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 05:46:04 am »

If I remember correctly, the 41st and Yale area is to be a "town center" or the like, in the new comprehensive plan.  It should eventually have a "small area plan" created for it.  Once you do that and have the visuals, zoning, etc. for the area, I think that will be a good start.  Unfortunately they are only doing 2 small area plans right now and the 41st and Yale area wasn't chosen as one of them.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 09:17:15 am »

Anyone beat "8"?
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 10:50:34 am »

Southie got an 8 with his new crib.

Will we ever see you in midtown or downtown ever again?

Power is nothing till you use it.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 10:55:45 am »

Southie got an 8 with his new crib.

Will we ever see you in midtown or downtown ever again?

You guys get some parking in there somewhere and maybe.

Oh, and traffic barrels scare the bejesus out of me so we'll need to over come that.

Maybe get some sort of entertainment venue with some shows.   A baseball park would be nice.  I'd like some BBQ options and maybe some bowling.  Might want to go ahead and form some districts where I could meet some people for fun.

I'll check in periodically to see how we're doing with all that.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 03:14:39 am »

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/8-most-artery-clogging-cities-america-172200587.html

#7:  Tulsa

One thing that probably contributes to Tulsans' high risk of heart disease is the city's low "walkability." According to Walk Score, an organization which promotes pedestrian-friendly communities, only 6% of Tulsa residents live in a neighborhood with a walk score of 70 or above (100 being best) and 57% live in entirely car-dependent locales.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 07:50:29 am »

Is there a side-by-side comparison of walkability and the results of the high risk of heart disease.  I don't doubt the correlation but am curioius how well the two track.  What other factors may be players?  Diet?

In the mean time, when driving, drive to the health club and work out a while.  When the weather isn't too awful, I go on a lunch time walk of about 2 miles each weekday.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 09:24:21 am »

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/8-most-artery-clogging-cities-america-172200587.html

#7:  Tulsa

One thing that probably contributes to Tulsans' high risk of heart disease is the city's low "walkability." According to Walk Score, an organization which promotes pedestrian-friendly communities, only 6% of Tulsa residents live in a neighborhood with a walk score of 70 or above (100 being best) and 57% live in entirely car-dependent locales.

That plus high percentage of smokers, lots of fast food, and little understanding of how to prepare fresh veg/fruit.

I live in a "8" neighborhood.  I also have machinery in my workout room that I take for a spin every morning.  I guess if I decided to walk/jog/limp to the Lowes and future Reasors at 111th and Memorial I could skip my morning treadmill routine.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 09:26:01 am »

I guess if I decided to walk/jog/limp to the Lowes and future Reasors at 111th and Memorial I could skip my morning treadmill routine.

You like Frogger so much you want to be Frogger?

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 09:39:58 am »

You like Frogger so much you want to be Frogger?

It'd be a different story if there were sidewalks.  Sidewalks would be a great thing for Tulsa to think about.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 09:51:28 am »

It'd be a different story if there were sidewalks.  Sidewalks would be a great thing for Tulsa to think about.

Southwest corner of 111th & Memorial is Bixby.  There are sidewalks on both sides of Memorial (Tulsa/West, Bixby/East) north of 111th.  I've even seen a half dozen people using them in the last year or so.  I wonder what the cost per pedestrian mile has been.   I would like my own exclusive traffic lane between 111th and the turnpike.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 09:55:26 am »

There are sidewalks on both sides of Memorial (Tulsa/West, Bixby/East) north of 111th. 

Not south of there, unfortunately. God help you if you want to go grab some lunch while you get tires put on your car. Hope you have good ankles, I guess?

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2011, 10:10:32 am »

Southwest corner of 111th & Memorial is Bixby.  There are sidewalks on both sides of Memorial (Tulsa/West, Bixby/East) north of 111th.  I've even seen a half dozen people using them in the last year or so.  I wonder what the cost per pedestrian mile has been.   I would like my own exclusive traffic lane between 111th and the turnpike.

Sad you make fun of it.  Must be enough of you and your like-minded to allow contractors to skip that step.

I'd imagine the sidewalk the city just completed on the East side of Utica by CH and Utica square would've been much less expensive if a certain developer had been forced to put his sidewalk in like he was supposed to.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2011, 10:14:08 am »

Not south of there, unfortunately. God help you if you want to go grab some lunch while you get tires put on your car. Hope you have good ankles, I guess?

You may have noticed the paving behind the tire store (since you had to use it to get to the tire store unless you ignored the exit only arrows on the pavement  between the bank and Robertson Tire connecting directly Memorial) extending all the way from the bank to 111th.  Out here in the boonies, we know to avoid people walking along the side of auxiliary paving.  I wouldn't walk on the paving on Memorial though.  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org