A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:05:16 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stingray's Have Teeth?  (Read 5103 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« on: August 04, 2011, 09:06:14 pm »

I am very self-deprecating when it comes to my own stupidity. I did not know stingrays had teeth similar to mine before I STUPIDLY hand fed a fairly large stingray recently and for whatever reason thought, "hey, let's not let go of the food after I put it in its mouth". Only bruises under my fingernails, put I learned something.  Grin What's worse, my five year old son did it RIGHT. Post your own similar stupidity in this thread if you just want to let go.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 07:08:52 am »

This is my third marriage. I might get married ten more times. I love cake.

Power is nothing till you use it.
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 07:37:15 am »

I have a 105 question summer assignment as well as an essay to write-due August 11th-that I started on two days ago.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 07:38:32 am »

One of many. Once used a screwdriver to extract an old fashioned glass fuse from a fuse box (they predated breaker boxes). The glass fuse had separated from its metal screw in base. Kind of like a light bulb that breaks in its socket. I pulled the antique knife switch to the off position so that the fuse did not have juice going to it. Red, you know what I'm talking about.

My idea was to wedge the screwdriver tip into the base and slowly turn it under pressure till it came out. Workable plan. Bad execution.

The screwdriver slipped out of the fuse base and made contact with the two sides of the knife switch. I received a jolt of 100amps, was knocked to the floor and started a fire in the fuse box and the insulation on the wires. Luckily we had a fire extinguisher handy but the fire station is nearby and they responded quickly.

The rubber handled screwdriver had its tip melted. I popped back up alright even though shaken. The firemen hung around a bit longer. One of them stayed near me for about 15minutes and asked if I was alright. "Yeah, fine." He said, "Usually it takes about 15 minutes or so for it to sink in what a stupid thing you just did and how you almost were killed and burned your house down. Then guys either get nauseous or have a heart attack."

Note to anyone working with electricity. Turn off the main breaker or totally remove the service connection at the meter.

onward...through the fog
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 10:34:39 am »

One of many. Once used a screwdriver to extract an old fashioned glass fuse from a fuse box (they predated breaker boxes). The glass fuse had separated from its metal screw in base. Kind of like a light bulb that breaks in its socket. I pulled the antique knife switch to the off position so that the fuse did not have juice going to it. Red, you know what I'm talking about.

My idea was to wedge the screwdriver tip into the base and slowly turn it under pressure till it came out. Workable plan. Bad execution.

The screwdriver slipped out of the fuse base and made contact with the two sides of the knife switch. I received a jolt of 100amps, was knocked to the floor and started a fire in the fuse box and the insulation on the wires. Luckily we had a fire extinguisher handy but the fire station is nearby and they responded quickly.

The rubber handled screwdriver had its tip melted. I popped back up alright even though shaken. The firemen hung around a bit longer. One of them stayed near me for about 15minutes and asked if I was alright. "Yeah, fine." He said, "Usually it takes about 15 minutes or so for it to sink in what a stupid thing you just did and how you almost were killed and burned your house down. Then guys either get nauseous or have a heart attack."

Note to anyone working with electricity. Turn off the main breaker or totally remove the service connection at the meter.
I'm starting to loose count of the times I've electrocuted myself.  Sadly, I think this is something to brag about.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 10:50:54 am »

I am very self-deprecating when it comes to my own stupidity. I did not know stingrays had teeth similar to mine before I STUPIDLY hand fed a fairly large stingray recently and for whatever reason thought, "hey, let's not let go of the food after I put it in its mouth". Only bruises under my fingernails, put I learned something.  Grin What's worse, my five year old son did it RIGHT. Post your own similar stupidity in this thread if you just want to let go.

Grand Cayman?  We did that a few years ago when I took my kids on a cruise.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 11:10:16 am »

...old fashioned glass fuse from a fuse box (they predated breaker boxes). ... I pulled the antique knife switch to the off position so that the fuse did not have juice going to it. Red, you know what I'm talking about.

Yep.  Our house back east was built just after WWII.  It had the glass fuses you are referring to.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 11:58:11 am »

Grand Cayman?  We did that a few years ago when I took my kids on a cruise.

Believe it or not, little ol' West Branson, Mo. There is a fairly decent fish and reptile place there. Kids and dumbass adults like me can feed stingrays and sharks.

Which cruise line did you take to get to Grand Cayman? I went on Carnival that took us to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel three years ago. I will be going again to those three stops on the brand new Carnival Magic next year. When I was on Grand Cayman, our family went to the giant turtle farm and, quite regrettably, I ate turtle stew. I'll spare all here the pics of that mess that I somehow had to try since turtle is an island staple. Then, I went to Margaritaville where I paid $10 for below average hot wings. Still, given the chance, I would like to live there for a while. Beautiful place, accept living near Hell would be unusual:

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 12:28:32 pm »

Carnival Liberty Aug of 2007.  As I recall, our itinerary was Freeport Grand Bahama, Grand Cayman, and Costa Maya.  Sadly Costa Maya was wrecked a few weeks later by a hurricane and I understand it took away cruise traffic for well over a year as it destroyed their relatively new cruise dock they'd built.

Grand Cayman didn't do much for me, but we only spent a day there.

By far, my favorite destination is the British Virgin Islands.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org