A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:48:59 pm
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Tough Bicycle Festival This Weekend  (Read 29147 times)
rdj
City Father

« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2011, 10:27:55 am »

The Cry Baby Hill celebration is a blast, the spectators there are a little on the rambunctios side. Note to a dis-pleased dad that was there: If your kids are sensitive to boys wearing cheerleader skirts, dancing gorrilas, people in sombreros and viking hats, dudes with boobs and girls kissing girls...don't take them where they might encouter these things. There are plenty of more sedate places to watch the race.

I told my wife about this last night and her response was, "find the other 20+ blocks to view the races, geez."  As is our tradition we took our kids Sunday and enjoyed a picnic under the trees while watching the races.  We hung out for a bit and then walked the course with the kids, including Cry Baby Hill.  We know what goes on up there and we just move quickly if we see something over the top and if our kids ask questions we answer them honestly.  This year, my middle son wanted to know why a man was wearing shiny underwear and nothing else.  My wife told him, because it was hot and sometimes thats okay if you have permission.  We call that, breaking the bubble, more Tulsans should try it.  But, we live in a diverse neighborhood, our kids attend a diverse magnet school and we promote diversity in our home.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2011, 11:51:57 am »

The pre-op transexual in a wet t-shirt might be a little harder to explain away.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2011, 12:02:48 pm »

The pre-op transexual in a wet t-shirt might be a little harder to explain away.

But he was dressed like a cyclist in a race.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjzKYof8_hk[/youtube]

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2011, 02:15:45 pm »

But he was dressed like a cyclist in a race.

Look everyone.  He tried.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2011, 02:22:27 pm »

We moved thru pretty quickly.  We lingered on Lawton as the pelting passed then moved quickly thru crowd to Jackson, watched a pass there then kept moving on the sidewalk until we got back to Galveston.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2011, 11:39:40 am »

I told my wife about this last night and her response was, "find the other 20+ blocks to view the races, geez."  As is our tradition we took our kids Sunday and enjoyed a picnic under the trees while watching the races.  We hung out for a bit and then walked the course with the kids, including Cry Baby Hill.  We know what goes on up there and we just move quickly if we see something over the top and if our kids ask questions we answer them honestly.  This year, my middle son wanted to know why a man was wearing shiny underwear and nothing else.  My wife told him, because it was hot and sometimes thats okay if you have permission.  We call that, breaking the bubble, more Tulsans should try it.  But, we live in a diverse neighborhood, our kids attend a diverse magnet school and we promote diversity in our home.

Thank goodness for people like you and your wife. I know right? Too bad Cry baby hill is the only place you can see the race...and its already overrun with crazies (and me).
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2011, 11:41:16 am »

That's Havah from the hood. Her house is on the course at the east end of the hill. Obviously trying to make a statement that day, but to each their own.
tulsacyclist
Civic Leader

« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2011, 12:20:44 pm »

Thanks for the congrats/kudos/etc, Conan and Townsend. It was a fun race. I was a bit disappointed w/ 5th on Sunday, but I was more cautious than normal going down the hill on the wet street. I think I could've done a bit better if I would've operated as normal (no fear), but no big deal. There's always next year..

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2011, 01:59:22 pm »

Thanks for the congrats/kudos/etc, Conan and Townsend. It was a fun race. I was a bit disappointed w/ 5th on Sunday, but I was more cautious than normal going down the hill on the wet street. I think I could've done a bit better if I would've operated as normal (no fear), but no big deal. There's always next year..

What do you mean "fifth" place? You are an embarrassment to this forum.

(and for the Townsends out there, I'm kidding).

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2011, 02:00:52 pm »

(and for the Townsends out there, I'm kidding).

Good one G.  Nice job.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2011, 03:44:57 pm »

Thank goodness for people like you and your wife. I know right? Too bad Cry baby hill is the only place you can see the race...and its already overrun with crazies (and me).

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not.   There are tons of other places to watch the races!  Frankly, the Galveston run is just as fun to watch as Crybaby Hill.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2011, 05:54:46 pm »

Where is the picture of the SPAM can?

Hoss?

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2011, 06:19:08 pm »

Where is the picture of the SPAM can?

Hoss?

For those with sodium issues:

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2011, 07:34:53 am »

For those with sodium issues:

Thank you, including the sodium consideration.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org