A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:20:40 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wilson Middle School for sale  (Read 25582 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 10:32:45 am »

TU low balled it.....

$2 million does seems awfully low for such a grand building in that good location.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 11:35:22 am »

$2 million does seems awfully low for such a grand building in that good location.

I think so...Not that I blame them for trying....It would cost 10 + times that to duplicate it......I would bet thats not their final or best offer....

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 11:37:45 am »

OU does have their OU-Tulsa medical school at 41st and Yale, but aren't they starting a school of community medicine in the coming years?  Not sure if this will also be housed at 41st and Yale or if they have another location picked out.  

OU will have a clinic at its Schusterman campus as well as a north Tulsa clinic under construction.  Through a partnership with Hillcrest (where OU Physicians is already located) they will likely expand their operations at 11th & Utica.  There are some major expansions planned there over the next several years that could be accelerated by OU.  The TU partnership involves students at TU's main campus doing science/pre-med and then going into med school at OU with an emphasis on community medicine.

Such an expansion at Hillcrest would be beneficial to the surrounding neighborhoods including revitalization efforts in the Pearl and Forrest Orchard.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 11:40:40 am by SXSW » Logged

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 11:49:57 am »

I think so...Not that I blame them for trying....It would cost 10 + times that to duplicate it......I would bet thats not their final or best offer....

You think they will re-pupose the building or scrape it?  What would FMV be on the dirt alone?  If they are planning on building something else there, the economics sound about right if they've got to demo the existing structures or extensively re-hab and remodel the existing structures.

The one I'm most interested in seeing what happens is Barnard.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 12:03:58 pm »

You think they will re-pupose the building or scrape it?  What would FMV be on the dirt alone?  If they are planning on building something else there, the economics sound about right if they've got to demo the existing structures or extensively re-hab and remodel the existing structures.

The one I'm most interested in seeing what happens is Barnard.

I think they would re-purpose it......I bet Barnard gets scraped...Unless of course someone wants to open a private school.....

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 12:34:15 pm »

I think they would re-purpose it......I bet Barnard gets scraped...Unless of course someone wants to open a private school.....

Bumgarner?  Tuscan prison?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2011, 12:54:31 pm »

Article on the news last night said that legally the school board couldn't accept the offer unless it was enough to cover bonds that went to upgrades/repair on the property.  They said sofar that's about $3 million, so there you have it.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 12:55:57 pm »

Nursing home?

Or they could find asbestos as soon as TPS washes their hands of it?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 01:14:50 pm »

Definately within his empire.....

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 03:24:30 pm »

I agree. Kendall was a successful investment in the neighborhood that would likely feed good students into a quality private middle school.

TU should do that. It would make sense to expand their education business into a possible feeder into their university. I know it sounds crazy, but....

No it doesn't sound crazy at all, and it would give lower income families the ability to give their kids a quality private education.  All they would have to do is apply for the new waver and they would have access to up to $6,900 to pay the tuition. 

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2011, 06:24:55 pm »

The problem with Wilson as a TPS middle school was that they over sold it as a magnet program. They were unable to do the things that made Booker T, Thoreau and Edison successful. Its the teachers, the commitment and the pride of being part of something really special.

The reality was that low performing, troubled kids from farther north were transferring in while higher performing strong value kids were transferring farther south to Edison and Thoreau. Many of the teachers were holdovers who didn't buy the program and were just holding on.

A sponsor like TU, some waiver money and strong leadership would work well.

onward...through the fog
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2011, 11:42:12 pm »

I'm hearing strong word that TU is in.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2011, 03:02:09 pm »

Nursing home?

Or they could find asbestos as soon as TPS washes their hands of it?

Pretty sure all the TPS buildings were cleaned by the early 1990's.

godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2011, 03:31:02 pm »

Pretty sure all the TPS buildings were cleaned by the early 1990's.

They where, pretty sure I remember the bond issues for it when I was young. Unless we have a massive case of fraud.

Thank you,
Robert Town
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2011, 05:21:15 pm »

They where, pretty sure I remember the bond issues for it when I was young. Unless we have a massive case of fraud.

It's not like that's never happened.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org