A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:33:21 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) Boulder Bridge  (Read 82324 times)
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2012, 08:05:22 am »

Now lets turn Boulder Ave into a two way street like Boston Ave.
dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2012, 08:09:01 am »

Now lets turn Boulder Ave into a two way street like Boston Ave.

That's in the works... I posted this article to my Facebook the other day and pointed out that while Sager is on a self-promotion media tour calling himself the driving force behind the Blue Dome, Elliott Nelson is out doing real good, working with the city on changing one-way streets to two-way.

http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/local_news/downtown-streets-transforming-from-one-way-to-two-way

A handful of roads in Downtown Tulsa are set to transform from one-way to two-way streets. This action comes after thirty blocks are identified as in-need of conversion.

Main Street from 6th to 10th will soon be accessible two ways. This is funded by two separate groups, with one common goal, to make it less confusing for drivers.

"We built our streets to get people out. Two way streets help keep people in," says Elliot Nelson. To help keep people in downtown and at one of his seven businesses, Nelson is pushing for traffic to flow two ways on Main. Even if it's twelve blocks away from his closest pub.

Nelson says, "We all took a chance on our urban core. It's important not only for me as a business owner, but for those people as business owners, for the city as a whole. This is our economic driver, where most of the good high paying jobs are."
$115,000 will convert Main Street at 8th and 9th. The transformation is paid for by two different groups.
The funding comes from the Downtown Coordinating Council and non-allocated assessment money. Main at 6th and 7th Streets are funded by Vision 2025. "Two-waying the streets gives better access, bottom line. A retailer or developer isn't willing to put money into downtown if they do not have good access," says Mark Brown, director of traffic for the city.

Each intersection is estimated to cost $35,000 to $40,000. That cost is doubled if crews have to replace the electrical hardware at each intersection, which is common downtown.

"You'll have to convert the stripping over from 10th to 9th. As well as the signs for two-way traffic. I'm not including parking meters on this project," Brown says.

Both projects are set to be complete by fall of 2012.

The next streets and avenues officials want to transform are 4th, 5th, Cheyenne, and Boulder. However, these projects are not yet funded, just proposed.

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2012, 08:41:06 am »

^ This makes me happy  Grin
Seriously, Main is two way from 2nd to 7th, then one way North bound for three blocks to 10th and then two way again. What?
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2012, 09:16:07 am »

It never made sense to me why when Main St. was opened back up as a two-way from 3rd to 6th the city did not  continue to 10th.  The short stretch of one-way makes no sense and orphaned the stretch from 6th to 3rd.  I am glad to see this is finally going to change.

I noticed a large crane and other equipment at the Boulder bridge this morning.  Reopening this access to the Brady District will be very helpful to the Brady and the downtown core.
JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2012, 09:44:14 am »

It never made sense to me why when Main St. was opened back up as a two-way from 3rd to 6th the city did not  continue to 10th.  The short stretch of one-way makes no sense and orphaned the stretch from 6th to 3rd.  I am glad to see this is finally going to change.

I noticed a large crane and other equipment at the Boulder bridge this morning.  Reopening this access to the Brady District will be very helpful to the Brady and the downtown core.

This has been a week or so in the making.  They dropped the fence a few days ago and were putting the crane together yesterday.  Can't wait to see that finished. 

Are they narrowing 1st by one lane?  I really hope they do away with the parking along that side of the street if this is the case, or atleast make it a no parking area in the morning hours.  Also, possibly put in a "drop off" area, much like 2nd.  I have seen too many "close calls" because of the narrowing already (cars parked, delivery trucks double parked, buses cutting across two or three lanes of traffic). 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 09:49:34 am by JCnOwasso » Logged

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2012, 10:53:35 am »

Taken 1/11/12...they have a crane:

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2012, 11:15:23 am »

They may have a crane, but do they have a pony?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2012, 02:40:37 pm »

Picture I took last night before the hockey game.  I was northbound on Boulder at 2nd Street here.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
rdj
City Father

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2012, 09:05:20 am »

I don't see the pony.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2012, 07:25:26 am »

Giant Steel spans are delivered to the site and ready to be installed.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2012, 12:14:45 pm »

I assume there's going to be support columns between the tracks?
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2012, 07:06:23 am »

I assume there's going to be support columns between the tracks?

It looks like those are constructed already. Anyone want to walk across it with me when the steel spans are dropped in place?
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2012, 08:46:01 am »

It looks like those are constructed already. Anyone want to walk across it with me when the steel spans are dropped in place?

I'm down!

Also, I love your avatar pic.  I really wish that the residents would chip in to put new wrought iron up.

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2012, 10:15:34 am »

I'm down!

Also, I love your avatar pic.  I really wish that the residents would chip in to put new wrought iron up.

We tried, the city traffic engineer nixed it. There is no way to make it tall enough for the trucks that are taking Carson to get to the highway. He also was not interested in diverting those trucks to Denver.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2012, 11:03:49 am »

We tried, the city traffic engineer nixed it. There is no way to make it tall enough for the trucks that are taking Carson to get to the highway. He also was not interested in diverting those trucks to Denver.

Double dumbass on him then.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org