A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:22:18 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Morel Hunting?  (Read 4999 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« on: April 16, 2012, 11:48:57 am »

Anyone know of any especially good areas around Tulsa for morel mushroom hunting?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 12:14:07 pm »

Best be knowin what ewe are doo n.....!!! Grin

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 12:29:23 pm »

Best be knowin what ewe are doo n.....!!! Grin

BIXBY — Six people have been arrested in the last week for possessing hallucinogenic mushrooms, police said.
Psilocybin mushrooms, also known as "shrooms," are hallucinogens that create the same effect as LSD but on a lesser scale, Officer Erik Smoot said.

"This is a rare problem that we really haven't dealt with before," Smoot said. "I think word of mouth spreads quickly among drug traffickers and drug dealers, along with users, and that's probably why we've seen the arrests."

"Just like marijuana, this stuff can grow in the wild. It's hard to say if these people were trying to grow it or they simply came across it."
"We haven't heard about 'shrooms' in forever."

Psilocybin is a hallucinogenic substance obtained from certain types of mushrooms that are indigenous to tropical and subtropical regions of the United States, Mexico and South America.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 12:41:17 pm »

Nice info, but I’m not looking for psilocybin.  

If you’ve ever had the pleasure of eating morels, you’d know why I’d like to find a place to hunt them here.  We managed to buy 1/2 a pound of them at the River Market in KC a couple of weeks back.  Wishing I’d bought a couple of pounds now and had dried them.  I’ve done some Googling and looks like there are places in central Oklahoma, I figured they must grow around Tulsa as well.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 02:19:03 pm »

Of course, I have read you have to go a lot further south than Bixby to find that fungus...

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 02:51:53 pm »

If you’ve ever had the pleasure of eating morels, you’d know why I’d like to find a place to hunt them here.  We managed to buy 1/2 a pound of them at the River Market in KC a couple of weeks back.  Wishing I’d bought a couple of pounds now and had dried them.  I’ve done some Googling and looks like there are places in central Oklahoma, I figured they must grow around Tulsa as well.

I've seen them on the TCC Golf Course before.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 03:30:25 pm »

Dunno if I'd want to eat any gathered from a golf course.  Too many pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers.

I had shaggymanes once, but my friends wouldn't touch them.  As I recall, they were one mushroom that was readily identified and couldn't be confused with any other.

I'd try morels if I could find some.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 06:10:55 pm »

It was my understanding that they're only around for about two weeks...and your two weeks are up. Try next year! Smiley
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 07:54:05 pm »

The warm weather came early but the rains are just hear now... they want both to "flower".  I went out this weekend and saw sh rooms of all kinds but no morels. The season in tulsa can run to June.  My brother in law, super mushroom hunter, has not had a good year up north as of yet either.

I am but a novice, but would be happy to partner with you in this endeavor.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 08:03:00 pm »

I might have to start trying this as well.  Might be fun to try and do some shroom hunting.  From what I was reading online, most in the general area grow under cedar trees, so might narrow the hunt down.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 10:44:53 am »

There were reports from east of OKC within the last week of 17 to 20 pound hauls!

CF, let’s do an expedition!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org