A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:31:35 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wolfgang Puck's  (Read 12812 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« on: June 24, 2011, 10:33:59 am »

Location(s) Being Reviewed: 3330 S. Peoria
Date/Time of Visit: 6/23/11, 7pm
Quality of Food (1-5): 5
Menu/Food Options (1-5): 4
Quality of Service (1-5): 5+
Atmosphere (1-5): 4
Overall Rating (1-5): 5
Price ($-$$$$$): $$$$1/2
What makes this restaurant unique: Celebrity chef-influenced franchise restaurant in Tulsa

Tell us about your experience:

I generally avoid national chains when it comes to dining and 90% or better of my dining out is locally-owned or small regional operations.  I'd not tried Puck's yet and it was my mother's birthday so it was really her call on where we ate.  I cast a critical eye on operations like this or Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill as it's one thing for a celebrity chef to own a restaurant, but if they are not cooking, how good a job does the in-house chef do to emulate their taste, presentation, and recipes?

I had the special which was a tenderized chicken breast in a garlic caper sauce with veggies over fingerling potatoes, Mom had the pizza margherita.  The flavor was great, but we both picked meals which are not overly visually challenging to make a nice presentation.  Mom has had the bacon-wrapped meatloaf on a previous visit and loved it.  I saw a few of those being served and the presentation was very good on them.

I wasn't aware that Puck's relies heavily on the wood baked pizzas on the menu, there appears to be a wide variety, and the margherita was outstanding.  It's obvious they use high quality ingredients.  My chicken was very tender and the sauce was excellent without being overwhelmed by the capers.  FYI, the pizzas are about 12" diameter.  With appetizers or a salad you could split it with a dining companion, otherwise, it's just about meal size for one person if that's all you are having.

We also had a crab cake appetizer which was very tasty, though again, the presentation is nothing special, at least not what I expected for a place like Puck's.

We split a double chocolate bread pudding for dessert which was on the house.  That was some awesome goodness!

The biggest surprise of all is the food prices aren't what I'd expected at all, they are quite reasonable and in-line with a place like Charleston's.  There's only one food item on the menu over $20 and that's a filet of beef.  Most items are in the mid to low teens, the pizzas range from $9 to $16.

A few notes: the menu is somewhat limited, but it's better to have fewer items you do really well than to have too many items and not be able to do any of them very well.  I like the interior design in the place, but it has little consideration for acoustics which is a pet peeve of mine.  I don't like sound splashing at me from every direction.  The booth seating is very comfortable and almost over-stuffed.  It's definitely not designed for hurried table turns.  It was not overly crowded for a Thursday, but my understanding is you might want to make reservations on a weekend night.

Our tab with appetizer, meals, a glass of wine each, and tax was $58 & change which seemed stupid cheap to me.

I would definitely return.

http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/restaurants/casual-dining/wolfgang-puck-bistros/59005

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 11:23:09 am »

The Mac N Cheese is outstanding.....

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 11:28:21 am »

We love it.  In fact, your post makes me want to take the wife tonight. 

The service we've had has been outstanding.  They must have an awesome training program!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 02:18:50 pm »

I think this is hands down one of the best new restaurants to open in Tulsa in the past few years.

I recall reading somewhere shortly after it opened that they sent all the service staff through the Wolfgang training program.  It really shows and provides some of the best service in Tulsa.

Last fall my wife and I were in LA and ate at Cut, Wolfgang's steakhouse.  He happened to come in that night and we got a chance to talk to him.  When we told him we were from Tulsa and enjoyed his restuarant here, he totally lit up and began to rave about the restaurant here and Tusla in general.   He had been here the week before and his only complaint about Tulsa was how hot it was.  I know he's a great marketer and has the success to prove it, but he really seemed genuinely pleased (and probably surprised) at how well this restaurant was performing, particularly since it is the only location outside the state of California (or at least was when it opened).

Good word of mouth from someone of Wolfgang's stature in this industry can only help Tulsa gain the attention of other potential restaurateurs.
HellenT
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 10:13:29 am »

I've never been to Wolfgang's Bistro but have been to the Express which was good. I found free coupons for the Express and decided to try it. It is pretty cool that he built a Bistro in Tulsa. The other two are in Orlando and California. When I was in LA about 8 years ago, I ate at his first restaurant, Spago, and it was really good. It seems most of his fine dining restaurants are in the LA area or Las Vegas.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 10:34:50 am by HellenT » Logged
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 12:12:55 pm »

And it's CLOSED. Dunzo.

Signs in the window say "Wolfgang Puck Bistro will close Nov. 1. Thank you for being a part of our family."
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 12:18:02 pm »

And it's CLOSED. Dunzo.

Signs in the window say "Wolfgang Puck Bistro will close Nov. 1. Thank you for being a part of our family."

North brookside is the new 71st & memorial
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 12:26:10 pm »

Looking at the positive reviews, I’m curious why enough people didn’t return to support it?  I don’t think I’d been there in over a year, if then.  For us, it’s just not something which ever popped into our heads to go to Wolfgangs.  It probably doesn’t help that MC and I are quite enamored with The Alley since it’s close and comfortable and has a menu we really enjoy.

Anyone else?

I’m sure all the other local competition in the area doesn’t help.  Anyone think a franchise or chain like this would be more successful in an area populated strongly with other national chains like Tulsa Hills or 71st & Retail Hell to the east?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 12:30:29 pm »

I only went there once for lunch and I wasn't super impressed. It never made it into the regular rotation for me and my friends who lunch.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 12:34:52 pm »

I wonder if the problem is Micheal Fusco isn't good at running a restaurant. I don't know that he is or isn't, but he's not done well recently.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 12:39:33 pm »

I wonder if the problem is Micheal Fusco isn't good at running a restaurant. I don't know that he is or isn't, but he's not done well recently.

Did a little digging and found a Tulsa World article dated 8/30/12 which said he was joining Puck’s, then a Facebook post from May 3 references a TW article which says he’d left.

https://www.facebook.com/tulsaworldfood/posts/370890513021596

No idea where he is now. 

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 12:40:27 pm »

Meatloaf at Puck's

Outstanding!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 01:26:22 pm »

Meatloaf at Puck's

Outstanding!

Worth a trip to LA?
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 03:09:39 pm »

Looking at the positive reviews, I’m curious why enough people didn’t return to support it?  I don’t think I’d been there in over a year, if then.  For us, it’s just not something which ever popped into our heads to go to Wolfgangs.  It probably doesn’t help that MC and I are quite enamored with The Alley since it’s close and comfortable and has a menu we really enjoy.

Anyone else?

I’m sure all the other local competition in the area doesn’t help.  Anyone think a franchise or chain like this would be more successful in an area populated strongly with other national chains like Tulsa Hills or 71st & Retail Hell to the east?

Tough to justify going to a chain when there's so many good local places.  The food was okay but nothing we craved.  The bar set up should've opened up to the restaurant for better people watching.  It chopped the place in half and imprisoned the people in the dining area.

I'm not sure of a location in Tulsa it would've worked better.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 03:15:12 pm »

Tulsa World grabbed the story.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org