A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 11:53:01 pm
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What new establishment would you like downtown?  (Read 53155 times)
Sandite
Tourist

« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2012, 10:15:18 pm »

Quik Trip Stadium home of the Tulsa Roughnecks MLS/USL franchise . . . 20,000 seat open concept tied to Oneok Field. Pretty sure MLS/USL play opposite Drillers, so pull of folks downtown to spend $$$
Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2012, 09:11:19 am »

From what I have seen over the years. QT sets the price that all others follow.

I've often seen theory over the years, and I'm always curious how people think this works.

Wholesale gasoline prices are set by the global commodity market.  Then you add in things like local taxes, transportation costs for gasoline, refining costs, etc.

Just like all other retailers, QT will add a few cents per gallon of margin.  In any city of decent size, all retailers are going to have the same mark-up.  Otherwise, people would just go get their gas elsewhere.

How many big cities do you see a wild variation in the price of gasoline at the pump?  It doesn't happen because gasoline is a fungible commodity. 

And as much as retailers try to sell people on the idea that their gas is "better", people don't buy it.  They see all gas as the same and will thus just go where it's cheapest.  That's why, unless you're in a really small town or in a really isolated area, gasoline prices are basically the same across an entire market.

rdj
City Father

« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2012, 09:34:37 am »

That's not entirely true.  Is gasoline price set by the future commodities market?  Sure, but that is the wholesale price.  The marketer that is selling to the c-store gets their scrape.  The guy that sells to QT I'm sure takes less of a scrape due to their volume than he does from the guy who owns one store.

In addition, Tulsa historically was a nickel cheaper than OKC until Git & Go left the market.  Shortly after they left it flipped.  Don't you think a little less competition from an entity with similar buying power was the driver behind that?

The only way smaller c-stores survive today is on marketing 100% gasoline and pure convenience.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2012, 09:41:58 am »

My remark was just for this area. QT has the most gasoline stores and what they set their price at is what others in the general market follow. I'm sure in other cities it may well be set by Shell, Citgo etc, etc.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2012, 10:51:21 am »

I would like to see the 52nd floor of the BOK Tower become a restaurant.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2012, 12:17:58 pm »

And as much as retailers try to sell people on the idea that their gas is "better", people don't buy it.  They see all gas as the same and will thus just go where it's cheapest. 

Quality control is probably better than it used to be.  Specifications are probably stricter too.  When we first moved here from Phila PA area in 1971 I noticed a difference.  I bought Sunoco back east, mostly because dad worked for one of Sun's subsidiaries.   We moved here as part of the Sun/Sunray DX "merger".  When I got here, I used DX.  I got about 1 less mpg (11 to 12 vs. 12 to 13, not counting Interstate travel) using DX than I had using Sunoco.  I went back east to finish college and resumed buying Sunoco and the gas mileage went back up.  Another family car noticed a similar change, including gumming up the carburetor.  When I came back for the summer while waiting to get drafted, I changed to Texaco.  Gas mileage matched Sunoco and there were no carb problems. 

Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2012, 03:26:34 pm »

In addition, Tulsa historically was a nickel cheaper than OKC until Git & Go left the market.  Shortly after they left it flipped.  Don't you think a little less competition from an entity with similar buying power was the driver behind that?

I don't have any hard data to look at on that, but what I'll say is this -- both Tulsa and OKC always have among the cheapest gasoline in the nation.  That's because we're both right on top of refining capacity and the transportation costs to get gasoline to our markets are virtually nothing.

So if QT is somehow controlling gas prices in Tulsa, they aren't doing much of a markup over the wholesale prices (plus taxes, etc.).

Quality control is probably better than it used to be.  Specifications are probably stricter too.  When we first moved here from Phila PA area in 1971 I noticed a difference.  I bought Sunoco back east, mostly because dad worked for one of Sun's subsidiaries.   We moved here as part of the Sun/Sunray DX "merger".  When I got here, I used DX.  I got about 1 less mpg (11 to 12 vs. 12 to 13, not counting Interstate travel) using DX than I had using Sunoco.  I went back east to finish college and resumed buying Sunoco and the gas mileage went back up.  Another family car noticed a similar change, including gumming up the carburetor.  When I came back for the summer while waiting to get drafted, I changed to Texaco.  Gas mileage matched Sunoco and there were no carb problems.

I'm not saying there aren't differences.  I'm saying that most people don't believe there are.  They just buy gas wherever it's cheapest.  That's why gasoline prices are virtually the same across entire metro areas.

I would like to see the 52nd floor of the BOK Tower become a restaurant.

No chance there.

The Williams Board Room is the only thing on the 52nd floor.  The 51st floor was recently re-done and is full of conference rooms.  The 50th floor (where I sit) is full of offices and the 49th floor is the executive floor.

Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2012, 03:54:06 pm »

It looked like they were doing something to the old gym last time I was on 52. That is a ton of space that could be used for that. The executive conference room isn't that nice any more anyway. It needs to be redone... and moved ;o)
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2012, 06:44:28 pm »

The 50th floor (where I sit)
Swanky.  Hows the view?

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2012, 11:23:52 pm »

No chance there.

The Williams Board Room is the only thing on the 52nd floor.  The 51st floor was recently re-done and is full of conference rooms.  The 50th floor (where I sit) is full of offices and the 49th floor is the executive floor.

Seven or so years ago (I was little so I don't remember) my family and I were walking downtown during the march of the penguins when a man walked out of the Williams Center and asked if we wanted to go to the top. We went to either the 51st or 52nd floor and it was really cool. Very elaborate. He said they hold weddings there.
Bones013
Citizen

« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2012, 04:57:42 am »

Swanky.  Hows the view?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33569847@N07/6966540873/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33569847@N07/6966555801/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33569847@N07/6820433996/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33569847@N07/6966642765/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33569847@N07/6966644677/in/photostream
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 06:00:30 am by Bones013 » Logged
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2012, 11:27:37 am »

I'd say that's pretty damn swanky!

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2012, 02:40:19 pm »

It looked like they were doing something to the old gym last time I was on 52. That is a ton of space that could be used for that. The executive conference room isn't that nice any more anyway. It needs to be redone... and moved ;o)

The old gym is on 51. Smiley

And yes, it is being made into conference/training rooms.

The Board Room on 52, which is getting a bit dated, is also scheduled to be re-done.

Swanky.  Hows the view?

Ha! I wouldn't call our floor swanky.  It's just a cube farm with a nice view. Smiley 

Seven or so years ago (I was little so I don't remember) my family and I were walking downtown during the march of the penguins when a man walked out of the Williams Center and asked if we wanted to go to the top. We went to either the 51st or 52nd floor and it was really cool. Very elaborate. He said they hold weddings there.

They used to have weddings up here, back when 50/51 was a resturaunt/bar like the Summit Club.

But it's been office space for some time now... since about 2001/02, IIRC.
rjessia
Tourist

« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2012, 11:50:02 am »

A pharmacy.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2012, 10:15:50 am »

I've often seen theory over the years, and I'm always curious how people think this works.

Wholesale gasoline prices are set by the global commodity market.  Then you add in things like local taxes, transportation costs for gasoline, refining costs, etc.

Just like all other retailers, QT will add a few cents per gallon of margin.  In any city of decent size, all retailers are going to have the same mark-up.  Otherwise, people would just go get their gas elsewhere.

How many big cities do you see a wild variation in the price of gasoline at the pump?  It doesn't happen because gasoline is a fungible commodity. 

And as much as retailers try to sell people on the idea that their gas is "better", people don't buy it.  They see all gas as the same and will thus just go where it's cheapest.  That's why, unless you're in a really small town or in a really isolated area, gasoline prices are basically the same across an entire market.

Actually, OKC has some of the largest variations you will find in any market.  You will see swings of .40 over a two or three mile drive.  You will even see a .02 to .03 difference amongst the three On Cue's in MWC which are no further than two miles apart.

Tulsa seems to have good uniformity in pricing.  Count on QT being at one price and Shell or Sinclair (or whatever brand) is .10 higher for "real" gas.  Aside from QT, the field is pretty thin in Tulsa.  OKC seems to have far more gas retailers and many more independents in the market.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org