A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:18:36 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "NO Relief for Missouri"  (Read 11578 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 03:08:47 pm »

Yeah, that's why we never get any FEMA dollars, Gaspar. Your disconnect from reality is rather shocking.

Getting FEMA $ is the goal.  The goal is not to get folks back on their feet again. It is better to sit in Squalor (a town just up-river from NOLA) waiting for FEMA $ than to try to get back to normal by any other means.  Some people just don't think straight.  Must have gone to public schools.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 03:11:02 pm »

I'm willing to bet there will not be a single murder, rape or stabbing in the Red Cross shelters up in Joplin. I also have yet to hear of any looting.  

Must be censorship.
 Grin

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 03:21:06 pm »

Must be censorship.
 Grin

If they find someone in the rubble 4 days from now, I doubt they will attempt to sue the government for not finding them earlier.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 03:22:21 pm »

That Kolsch (and four of the other beers I tried) was freakin' awesome. Unfortunately, the Steam Engine Ale was not so tasty. Sad

I wish the stop in Pagosa had been in the cards. Oh well, that's what next time is for, eh?

Gaspar: reality is dictated by facts. You can ignore them and create your own, but that's the definition of disconnected from reality.

Oh, and not that I was hating.  I always come back from northern NM and So Colo with a superiority complex. There's a lot to be said for going away for a week and not being plugged in.  It's hard not to want to check TNF or FB.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 09:30:40 pm »

Oklahoma is always at the front of the line for disaster relief.  For many more smaller events, compared to Katrina, but we are always there to get our fair share. 

We don't get in line for Federal aid == just another one of those "rugged individualist" myths that just ain't so.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 10:17:44 am »

Joplin was just upgraded to an EF5.
Reports from Tuesday evening 5/24 indicate an estimated 122 fatalities and several hundred injured in the Joplin MO area.
The Joplin tornado is the deadliest since modern record keeping began in 1950 and is ranked 8th among the deadliest tornadoes in U.S. history.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2011, 10:49:30 am »

Joplin was just upgraded to an EF5.
Reports from Tuesday evening 5/24 indicate an estimated 122 fatalities and several hundred injured in the Joplin MO area.
The Joplin tornado is the deadliest since modern record keeping began in 1950 and is ranked 8th among the deadliest tornadoes in U.S. history.

Saw that coming, there was no way that was anything less than an EF-5

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2011, 10:54:15 am »

I know a lot of people that weren't so sure, but after I saw an aerial photo yesterday I was.  Horrible.  My brother's boss said unless you see it in person, the pictures and video don't do it justice...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 04:39:26 pm »

I really resent what they did to Eric Cantor in this article!

http://omnipotentpoobah.com/2011/05/26/eric-cantor-whatever-happened-to-compassionate-conservatives/

"I’m appalled at House Majority Leader Eric Cantor’s (R-Obstructistan) demand that aid for families lashed by two of the worst tornado outbreaks on record must wait while Congress goes argues over whether oil company aid or health care should be cut to balance the budget."

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 06:40:14 pm »

Until I saw the Home Depot and a few other pictures, I was convinced it was EF-4 damage. I was more than a little surprised to hear from a friend who used to work at Pizza Hut that a couple of employees up there died even after sheltering in the walk-in freezer, which in that particular store was not on the outside of the building as it is in many.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2011, 07:55:57 pm »

Why was President Obama swilling beer in Ireland yesterday instead of being en-route to Joplin?

Seemed a relevant issue when NOLA was wrecked by Katrina in '05.
Ireland? I thought he was doing this while my former neighbors of four years lived through the worst kind of horror or were grieving from the loss of loved ones:

]

I received several calls asking if I was in the middle of that disaster. Of course I thanked them for their concern but that I had moved about four years ago. I do know my neighborhood was spared. I will be heading up there next week to offer whatever assistance I can give.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 07:58:25 pm by guido911 » Logged

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2011, 10:25:41 pm »

FEMA Declares Eric Cantor a Disaster Area
Congressman Denies Funds to Self

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report) – One day after Rep. Eric Cantor (R-VA) stirred controversy by withholding funds for tornado relief, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) took the extraordinary step of declaring Rep. Cantor a disaster area.

Within hours of the declaration, FEMA officials were dispatched to assess the damage to Mr. Cantor’s status as a human being capable of empathy.

“I’ve seen a lot of hurricanes and tornados, but this is something new,” said FEMA spokesman Tracy Klugian.  “Rep. Cantor appears to have been caught up in a moral vacuum.”

While concerned FEMA officials looked on, the morally ravaged House Majority Leader took to the floor of the House to make the case for denying funds to repair himself.

The FEMA spokesman said that the agency was currently trying to estimate the cost of rebuilding Mr. Cantor’s soul.

“Quite frankly, I’ve never seen devastation like this,” Mr. Klugian said.  “It’s like there’s nothing there."

http://www.borowitzreport.com/2011/05/25/fema-declares-eric-cantor-a-disaster-area/
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2011, 09:56:55 pm »

Here is a video showing the before/after the tornado. I lived in Joplin for four years and had the videographer not told us where he was, I would never have guessed.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWLvve8KN20[/youtube]

I wasn't thrilled when I lived there, mainly because it wasn't really a choice. But I have old friends up there and can only hope they made it.

Anyone know good people that can install a safe room for me?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 09:58:39 pm by guido911 » Logged

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2011, 10:07:58 pm »

Here is a video showing the before/after the tornado. I lived in Joplin for four years and had the videographer not told us where he was, I would never have guessed.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWLvve8KN20[/youtube]

I wasn't thrilled when I lived there, mainly because it wasn't really a choice. But I have old friends up there and can only hope they made it.

Anyone know good people that can install a safe room for me?

Not on pain meds here, just me being nice.

Have you thought about Jim Giles' business?  Even though he's passed, his wife still runs it.

http://www.jimsafe.com/

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2011, 10:17:37 pm »

I'm going to drop the dimes for this. Got bad news about specific people I knew in Joplin.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org