A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:40:06 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: “I’d rather die in midtown than live in south Tulsa”  (Read 44403 times)
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2011, 10:53:13 am »

You're David Bowie aren't you? Grin

I was thinking Camus.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2011, 11:05:01 am »

what about all of the recent shootings in midtown?

Don't live in Midtown.  What about the rash of robberies that happens out south?

And technically, that started in Prue..it just ended up in midtown because of where the victim lived.  It could very well have led to Bixby, Alsuma, Turley, Sperry, Skiatook..you get the meaning.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 11:11:26 am by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2011, 11:07:46 am »

Don't let the terrorists win.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2011, 11:32:56 am »

It used to be that crime followed money. When Jesse James was asked why he robbed banks he said, "Cause that's where the money is". Now according to the TPD crime follows guns! The guns lead to money.

onward...through the fog
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2011, 11:42:08 am »

When Jesse James was asked why he robbed banks he said, "Cause that's where the money is".

Actually, Willie Sutton but there are several references that say Willie didn't really say it either.

Google "where the money is"

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2011, 11:48:33 am »

From now on its attributed to "the (great) Steveoni".

onward...through the fog
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2011, 11:59:53 am »

Don't live in Midtown.  What about the rash of robberies that happens out south?

And technically, that started in Prue..it just ended up in midtown because of where the victim lived.  It could very well have led to Bixby, Alsuma, Turley, Sperry, Skiatook..you get the meaning.
There was also a double shooting in midtown today.  It's getting bad everywhere
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2011, 12:03:15 pm »

From now on its attributed to "the (great) Steveoni".

It's yours.

dbacks fan
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2011, 04:59:58 pm »

There was also a double shooting in midtown today.  It's getting bad everywhere

And I see there was a shooting at Tulsa Hills Shopping Center. The story from Channel 8 sounds like it was a lovers quarrel involving a restraining order.

http://www.ktul.com/story/14829449/shooting-reported-at-south-tulsa-fast-food-restaurant?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

And it sounds like a similar situation in Yuma.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/06/02/20110602yuma-shooting-killed.html

Doesn't matter where you go.
OwenParkPhil
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2011, 09:56:39 am »

I'd rather thrive in my Downtown Owen Park neighborhood, than live in South Tulsa or die in Midtown.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2011, 10:59:37 am »

I'd rather thrive in my Downtown Owen Park neighborhood, than live in South Tulsa or die in Midtown.

I would rather live in South Tulsa (North Bixby really) than die in Midtown, Downtown, Downtown Owen Park.....

Well, you get the idea.  I'm not ready to die yet.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2011, 03:34:11 pm »

Dude, Yuma is creepy. I'd rather not find myself working there again. It does have one thing going for it. It's not Quartzsite.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
tulsa_fan
Civic Leader

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2011, 09:15:39 am »

I've lived in both.  When I was young, single and early in my marriage I lived in midtown and loved it.  Wonderful place for young people to be close to everything, and feel like they are part of a light urban fabric.

Once we decided to have kids we moved to South Tulsa.

These were the reasons:
We wanted more property for us and the kids to play on and explore.
We liked the reputation, performance, and classroom assets of the Jenks school programs.
We wanted a neighborhood filled with kids where riding bikes and walking to each others homes was perceived as less dangerous.
We wanted less traffic.

What we got:
All of the above.
A modern home.
A greenbelt with tons of trees, a stream and wildlife behind the house.
Very quiet nights with no traffic noise.
Darker sky.
Neighbors who all have kids around the same age as ours that ride the bus together.
Plenty of parking.
Very aware neighborhood where everyone knows everyone and their kids.
. . .and it cost us about 75% of what we would have paid in midtown for comparable space.

What we miss:
The quality of people-watching.
Proximity to eclectic shops and eating, but this is getting better.

We weren't sure we were going to be happy in South Tulsa, so we held on to our midtown property and rented it out.  After about two years we liquidated the condo's with no regrets.

The quality of life we sought simply changed and South Tulsa offered what we needed.  If I was single again or married without children, I would probably move back to midtown or even some areas downtown. 

100% agreed and how we made the decision with two small kids to move south . . . we aren't deep south, just 85th & Harvard, but we love it, but still plan to go back to mid-town or even downtown if that's still feasible after the kids move out . .

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2011, 09:21:36 am »

100% agreed and how we made the decision with two small kids to move south . . . we aren't deep south, just 85th & Harvard, but we love it, but still plan to go back to mid-town or even downtown if that's still feasible after the kids move out . .

More or less what I did and I'm enjoying the lower property tax rate.

Jenks was a great education for both my girls.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2011, 09:32:19 am »

More or less what I did and I'm enjoying the lower property tax rate.

Jenks was a great education for both my girls.

Jenks SE.  That's where we moved.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org