A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 08:20:48 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: “I’d rather die in midtown than live in south Tulsa”  (Read 43947 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 08:21:00 pm »

Only if the mid-towners deaths turned them into zombies.  Otherwise, they'd just be dead.

If that is their choice, OK.

I actually live in north Bixby, not south Tulsa.  I think Guido lives across the line in Bixby too.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 09:02:47 pm »

I actually live in north Bixby, not south Tulsa.  I think Guido lives across the line in Bixby too.

Damn immigrants...

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 09:25:31 am »

Damn immigrants...

Hey, we're friendly down here.  We are glad to have you come spend your money.
 Cheesy

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 01:22:32 pm »

If that is their choice, OK.

Yes.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 04:09:28 pm »

*Yawn*

Thank you,
Robert Town
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 07:53:02 pm »

Could always be worse, whichever area you are in...you could be stuck out there in Union district!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2011, 08:32:41 pm »

Could always be worse, whichever area you are in...you could be stuck out there in Union district!

Oh no! Not the briar patch.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 07:35:29 am »

I've lived in both.  When I was young, single and early in my marriage I lived in midtown and loved it.  Wonderful place for young people to be close to everything, and feel like they are part of a light urban fabric.

Once we decided to have kids we moved to South Tulsa.

These were the reasons:
We wanted more property for us and the kids to play on and explore.
We liked the reputation, performance, and classroom assets of the Jenks school programs.
We wanted a neighborhood filled with kids where riding bikes and walking to each others homes was perceived as less dangerous.
We wanted less traffic.

What we got:
All of the above.
A modern home.
A greenbelt with tons of trees, a stream and wildlife behind the house.
Very quiet nights with no traffic noise.
Darker sky.
Neighbors who all have kids around the same age as ours that ride the bus together.
Plenty of parking.
Very aware neighborhood where everyone knows everyone and their kids.
. . .and it cost us about 75% of what we would have paid in midtown for comparable space.

What we miss:
The quality of people-watching.
Proximity to eclectic shops and eating, but this is getting better.

We weren't sure we were going to be happy in South Tulsa, so we held on to our midtown property and rented it out.  After about two years we liquidated the condo's with no regrets.

The quality of life we sought simply changed and South Tulsa offered what we needed.  If I was single again or married without children, I would probably move back to midtown or even some areas downtown. 

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Ronnie Lowe
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2011, 08:34:44 am »

My family made the move to far south east Tulsa in the early 60s.  When we told our old neighbors in Tracy Park that we were moving to Lortondale you would have thought we had said we had won the lottery.  And I did love Lortondale and it came to form much of my world view but I also discovered empty lawns and no front porches, or if there was a front porch no one ever sat on it.  We saw our neighbors through car windows stopped at intersections.  We discovered that new construction and shiny clean surfaces do nothing to help the human dilemma.   Indeed, the shininess of all that new and improved stuff heightens the contrast between the promise and the reality of life.  It solves no problems but exacerbates them because you were promised that new home down south would save your soul.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 08:38:52 am by Ronnie Lowe » Logged
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2011, 09:06:52 am »

You're David Bowie aren't you? Grin

onward...through the fog
Ronnie Lowe
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2011, 09:11:23 am »

No, but we are both Capricorns.  So is Tulsa by the way.  Tulsa has a Capricorn Sun and a Cancer Moon.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2011, 09:15:19 am »

Tulsa has a Capricorn Sun and a Cancer Moon.

Tulsa has cancer?

Ronnie Lowe
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 09:22:15 am »

No, though I've heard of Cancer clusters near the refineries but haven't confirmed it.  Maybe that's a good reason to move to South Tulsa.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 09:55:39 am »

No, though I've heard of Cancer clusters near the refineries but haven't confirmed it.  Maybe that's a good reason to move to South Tulsa.

Never found a reason good enough to do that...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 10:50:43 am »

Never found a reason good enough to do that...
what about all of the recent shootings in midtown?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org