A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:33:40 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Oil crashes 10 percent in record rout"  (Read 11260 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« on: May 05, 2011, 02:08:56 pm »

(Reuters) - Oil collapsed into free-fall on Thursday, diving more than 10 percent and sending U.S. crude back under $100 a barrel as investors staged an unprecedented stampede for the exits.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/05/us-markets-oil-idUSTRE7446BH20110505
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 02:13:44 pm »

The oilies like it down. $100 is an ideal price. Keeps them out of the limelight while they get their GOP gophers to lie about closing certain loopholes: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/05/05/973345/-Number-of-Republicans-who-voted-to-allow-vote-to-cut-oil-subsidy:-Zero
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 01:16:25 pm »

In 2008 oil hit $147.00 a barrel and the pump price was around $4.00 a gallon, Today oil hit & peaked at  $112.00 a barrel and the pump prices were $4.00 a gallon. Obama's falling dollar played a big part in the 2011 fuel price hike..

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 01:42:33 pm »

In 2008 oil hit $147.00 a barrel and the pump price was around $4.00 a gallon, Today oil hit & peaked at  $112.00 a barrel and the pump prices were $4.00 a gallon. Obama's falling dollar played a big part in the 2011 fuel price hike..

That makes absolutely no sense.   The $112 oil and the $4 gas are priced in the SAME DOLLARS.

Oil was also $50-60 a barrel during 2005 when gas spiked to $3.50 a gallon.

The price of a barrel of oil is like the "base" price for gasoline.  Gas can't really get cheaper than the price of a barrel of oil allows, but it can go higher due to supply/demand issues of refined fuels.  Right now it is the switching to all sorts of specific summer blends for different markets that really kills off any chance to have an abundance of supply.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 01:45:37 pm »

That makes absolutely no sense.   

Consider.The.Source

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 01:47:09 pm »

So Bush was to blame for the 2008 oil hit, right?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 01:54:51 pm »

Time for the "speculator's tax"...

Monday, May 9, 2011
Oil price plunge proves oil company collusion and price gouging.
http://tominpaine.blogspot.com/2011/05/oil-price-plunge-proves-oil-company.html

"If the best the oil industry can do to defend the spike in gasoline prices is run commercials trying to say, sure we are cleaning up but the little guy who owns stock is seeing benefits too, you don't need me to tell you they are price gouging and colluding."
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 01:55:36 pm »

He is postulating a theory that Obama's policies are to blame for it only taking $112 oil to translate to $4 gas when it took $147 oil to get $4 gas in 2008.   Forgetting that $60 oil translated to $3.50 gas in 2005.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 02:01:57 pm »

He is postulating a theory that Obama's policies are to blame for it only taking $112 oil to translate to $4 gas when it took $147 oil to get $4 gas in 2008.   Forgetting that $60 oil translated to $3.50 gas in 2005.

Keep in mind too this is the same person that would likely adopt Sarah Palin if he could...

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 10:15:02 am »

Not at the pumps, The gasoline price is still holding firm. I remember when Obama shut down Gulf oil drilling, the next day pump prices jumped 10 cents.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 10:21:52 am »

Not at the pumps, The gasoline price is still holding firm. I remember when Obama shut down Gulf oil drilling, the next day pump prices jumped 10 cents.

As of my trip to work this AM, prices are down a few cents/gal.  I expect they will jump back up a dime or so as soon as I need to fill the gas tank again.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 10:46:01 am »

You do realize that there is typically a 10 day delay before you see prices at the pump drop from an oil price reduction?  Inversely, speculators drive that price up a day or so after an increase.  Nature of the beast.  Spent a bit of my early adulthood in the business working for a company that provided gasoline to quite a few c-stores, so I'm pretty familiar with how it all works.

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 09:27:59 am »

As of my trip to work this AM, prices are down a few cents/gal.  I expect they will jump back up a dime or so as soon as I need to fill the gas tank again.
Yep, it's  down 5 cents but the price per barrel has gone up yesterday.. The one thing about Tulsa I learned is that QT sets the citys fuel prices, no station sells gasoline for less than QT prices, but some do  sell higher  than QT.  In other cities there is some compitition in the gasoline market, and no one  company sets the prices for the city, Columbus, Ohio and Indianapolis, have Speedway Stations, Thorton stations, BP Stations,and  Meijer stations, along with mom & pop stations and there is no one  King or gasoline price ruler there. There are no QT stations in Indianapolis or Ohio either.. Omaha, NE. has QT stations but they are not the cities gas-price rulers, there is more flexability in gasoline prices in Omaha- unlike in Tulsa. The HyVee stations in Omaha give you 3 cents  off per gallon if you shop in the HyVee stores and show the reciept when you buy fuel.

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 09:30:39 am »

You do realize that there is typically a 10 day delay before you see prices at the pump drop from an oil price reduction?  Inversely, speculators drive that price up a day or so after an increase.  Nature of the beast.  Spent a bit of my early adulthood in the business working for a company that provided gasoline to quite a few c-stores, so I'm pretty familiar with how it all works.
Yeah it should happen that way but it didn't. Obama shut down drilling in the Gulf and the next day gasoline was up 10 cents a gallon. Was that just by chance? I have my doubts.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 09:31:46 am »

Yep, it's  down 5 cents but the price per barrel has gone up yesterday.. The one thing about Tulsa I learned is that QT sets the citys fuel prices, no station sells gasoline for less than QT prices, but some do  sell higher  than QT.  In other cities there is some compitition in the gasoline market, and no one  company sets the prices for the city, Columbus, Ohio and Indianapolis, have Speedway Stations, Thorton stations, BP Stations,and  Meijer stations, along with mom & pop stations and there is no one  King or gasoline price ruler there. There are no QT stations in Indianapolis or Ohio either.. Omaha, NE. has QT stations but they are not the cities gas-price rulers, there is more flexability in gasoline prices in Omaha- unlike in Tulsa. The HyVee stations in Omaha give you 3 cents  off per gallon if you shop in the HyVee stores and show the reciept when you buy fuel.

OK, what's your opinion with what's going on with the Corp Commission and Canadian oil?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org