A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:46:10 am
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Federal Government Shutdown Thread  (Read 51335 times)
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2011, 09:28:21 pm »

Nope. Just don't feel it is as bad as the naysayers believe (and I don't really care).
I suppose if it was you who couldn't get a driver's license or renew your car tags, you might think differently.

And Gaspar, not really. No future tax increases on the table means no support from me. Our problem is not so much that we spend too much in the discretionary budget, it's that the Republicans cut taxes while simultaneously increasing spending. Then we had the bottom drop out of the economy.

We probably shouldn't increase taxes right now, except perhaps as a token move to placate the invisible bond vigilantes and the deficit hawks, because that's just as dumb as cutting spending in a recession. I mean if you want 1933 all over again, those are both fantastic ideas, but I'd rather count on an improving economy increasing receipts. Raising taxes during the recovery phase has the nice side effect of keeping inflation down without increased interest rates to match. That helps pretty much everyone out, aside from the too big to fail crowd.

Edited to add: Assuming Boehner doesn't renege again, leaving us to revisit this whole thing next week, crisis is averted. At least until negotiations over the asinine 2012 budget break down. And they will given the present howling of the Tea Partyists.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 09:37:48 pm by nathanm » Logged

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2011, 09:22:08 am »

I suppose if it was you who couldn't get a driver's license or renew your car tags, you might think differently.

I was not aware that a Federal shutdown would also shut down the State of Oklahoma.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2011, 09:36:19 am »

What's the point of sacred cows here?  What possible good could kneecapping Planned Parenthood do in the short- medium- or long-term?  Aside from advancing a cherished Republican talking point, the money saved would be a drop in a drop in the bucket, and we would lose a hugely valuable service provider.  This is also my argument, incidentally against defunding NPR, but at least NPR has other major funding outlets.  

Also:  have we discussed -- anywhere, at all -- what the possible Republican sacred cows on the chopping block might be?  I have to say I've seen none whatsoever on offer.  If I give you Planned Parenthood, how bout I get to tax capital gains at 17.5%?

Planned Parenthood is/was a sacred cow for both sides.  Dems wanted to keep it funded, Republicans wanted it defunded.  When both sides have the same cow, it's difficult to trade for something like increased taxes.  I personally think Planned Parenthood is a worthwhile expense.

NPR can probably survive without Federal Funding.  I watch OETA frequently and often listen to the TU Classical radio station.  I believe their local fund raising is largely successful.  I believe the content of the other TU station to be somewhat but not extremely left of center and rarely listen to it.  I expect you to find it somewhat right leaning from your vantage point.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2011, 11:07:52 am »

Here's a fantastic sign:

Of course, those folks have no problems ramming U.S. tax dollars up there, right?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2011, 11:09:03 am »

Here's a fantastic sign:

Of course, those folks have no problems ramming U.S. tax dollars up there, right?

Looks shopped to me...but I'm sure you fact checked the picture first, eh?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2011, 11:24:15 am »

Funny? You decide.

http://dailycaller.com/2011/04/08/coming-to-bars-across-dc-top-10-government-shutdown-pick-up-lines/

edited to add.  Notice how every person with their own political agenda is out there declaring victory?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 12:00:26 pm by guido911 » Logged

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2011, 01:08:50 pm »

I was not aware that a Federal shutdown would also shut down the State of Oklahoma.
Apparently you're not aware that people actually reside in the District of Columbia. Wink

Yeah, it's stupid, but in a shutdown, they get shut down, too. Even though most of the DC government is paid for by local taxes, just as it is in every state. DC really should be a state. It would make the flag look funny, though.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2011, 01:20:21 pm »

http://www.rawstory.com/rawreplay/2011/04/bill-maher-this-is-bullshit-and-i-want-my-money-back/
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2011, 01:37:42 pm »

Yeah, let's listen to this guy:

BTW, who wants their money back? Those 47% of people that pay no federal income tax?

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2011, 02:34:37 pm »

Here's a fantastic sign:

Your family wouldn't be a large recipient of federal tax dollars, or wait, would it?
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2011, 03:08:23 pm »

Your family wouldn't be a large recipient of federal tax dollars, or wait, would it?

I was mocking the Boehner sign. It's like, get out of my business, but please, keep the money up in my business.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2011, 04:58:43 pm »

My gosh, has it really come to this on PP?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHUfPQ17WU&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2011, 06:23:46 pm »

Apparently you're not aware that people actually reside in the District of Columbia. Wink

Yeah, it's stupid, but in a shutdown, they get shut down, too. Even though most of the DC government is paid for by local taxes, just as it is in every state. DC really should be a state. It would make the flag look funny, though.

I thought you were addressing Guido directly.

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2011, 12:02:56 pm »

http://www.theonion.com/articles/gop-completely-fixes-economy-by-canceling-funding,19897/
GOP Completely Fixes Economy By Canceling Funding For NPR!

You know, the Bush tax cuts for the rich were passed in 2001 and 2003.  It's been almost 10 years.  Let me know when the "job creators" are ready to go to work.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2011, 01:00:51 pm »

Wow..just..wow. It's as if the Republicans really do want to destroy the world's economy...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/04/10/ftn/main20052567.shtml

Even if the Tea Party's 2011 budget had been passed and Ryan's 2012 budget passes, the debt limit will have to be raised. Even the Tea Party has no plan to immediately balance the budget. I'm tired of social bull getting tacked on to important budgetary legislation.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org