A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:35:35 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Federal Government Shutdown Thread  (Read 51432 times)
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2011, 03:09:50 pm »

$33B, $66B, WTH $100B.  It's all small change when there are sacred cows on both sides.

Actually, we're still only arguing over $33B.  It's not theoretical, that's the actual amount at stake.  

This brinksmanship will not solve any fiscal problems anywhere.  For all intents and purposes, it will not affect this year's deficit, and won't address the structural deficit (that's what Ryan's budget was for).  What's more, none of the numbers EVER under discussion were going to really effect the year's deficit.  At no point was a number in the air that would've done what the Republicans are advertising their (new) numbers would do.

So what other reason could there be for them to be forcing a government shutdown?  
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2011, 03:10:06 pm »

Dems to throw temper tantrum tomorrow.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/04/08/democratic-activists-plan-protest-dump-trash-boehners-home-saturday/

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2011, 03:17:03 pm »

He lives on Capital Hill.  They'll either get in serious poo with the authorities or they'll need to go to Ohio.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2011, 03:18:11 pm »

Did you forget where you come from? He never had Teatown.... Kiss

Can you imagine holding the country hostage over Planned Parenthood? Do you realize how much good they do for this country? They may help 1% get abortions... This is the ultimate litmus test!

What's wrong with people not wanting their tax dollars to support the genocide of the poor and black?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2011, 03:18:18 pm »

Actually, we're still only arguing over $33B.  It's not theoretical, that's the actual amount at stake.  

This brinksmanship will not solve any fiscal problems anywhere.  For all intents and purposes, it will not affect this year's deficit, and won't address the structural deficit (that's what Ryan's budget was for).  What's more, none of the numbers EVER under discussion were going to really effect the year's deficit.  At no point was a number in the air that would've done what the Republicans are advertising their (new) numbers would do.

So what other reason could there be for them to be forcing a government shutdown?  
You may be right about the lack of impact, but isn't cutting spending that will reduce debt/deficit still a good thing? We have to start somewhere, right?

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2011, 03:19:27 pm »

You may be right about the lack of impact, but isn't cutting spending that will reduce debt/deficit still a good thing? We have to start somewhere, right?

Absolutely.

"It's not that much" is the kind of thinking that got us into this mess "It's only $1 million, $10 million, $100 million, $1 billion" at a time.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2011, 03:19:55 pm »

He lives on Capital Hill.  They'll either get in serious poo with the authorities or they'll need to go to Ohio.

To be fair, in the article some folks want to dump trash on the WH. This so damned dumb and childish.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2011, 03:21:16 pm »

To be fair, in the article some folks want to dump trash on the WH. This so damned dumb and childish.

Reminds me a little of what's going on here at the city level...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2011, 03:23:26 pm »

Did you miss the part about the sacred cows?  Both sides please.

Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2011, 03:37:35 pm »

What's wrong with people not wanting their tax dollars to support the genocide of the poor and black?

This is the problem.  People don't even understand the funding that is getting cut. 
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2011, 03:38:56 pm »

Shutting down the gov automagically throws 800k workers into furlough (which is, you know, unemployment) and, the longer it goes on, will have major echo effects throughout the economy.  Choosing a government shutdown as the preferred method of "starting somewhere" is flat ridiculous. Take the $33 billion (or whatever we're at now), finish up 2011 and move on to Ryan's structural proposal in 2012 and beyond.

For your edification, a list of what/who/how much is affected by the current shutdown.

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2011/04/politics/interactive.govt.shutdown.list/index.html?hpt=T2
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2011, 03:39:17 pm »

This is the problem.  People don't even understand the funding that is getting cut. 

Really?  Harry Reid must not understand, he says this hinges on the GOP wanting to stop taxpayer-funded abortion. 

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2011, 03:40:39 pm »

Shutting down the gov automagically throws 800k workers into furlough (which is, you know, unemployment) and, the longer it goes on, will have major echo effects throughout the economy.  Choosing a government shutdown as the preferred method of "starting somewhere" is flat ridiculous. Take the $33 billion (or whatever we're at now), finish up 2011 and move on to Ryan's structural proposal in 2012 and beyond.

For your edification, a list of what/who/how much is affected by the current shutdown.

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2011/04/politics/interactive.govt.shutdown.list/index.html?hpt=T2

I tend to agree, actually.  This is nothing but theatrics.  Voters were duped again.  Chalk up one more victory for the ruling class. 

we vs us
City Father

« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2011, 03:45:58 pm »

Did you miss the part about the sacred cows?  Both sides please.

What's the point of sacred cows here?  What possible good could kneecapping Planned Parenthood do in the short- medium- or long-term?  Aside from advancing a cherished Republican talking point, the money saved would be a drop in a drop in the bucket, and we would lose a hugely valuable service provider.  This is also my argument, incidentally against defunding NPR, but at least NPR has other major funding outlets.  

Also:  have we discussed -- anywhere, at all -- what the possible Republican sacred cows on the chopping block might be?  I have to say I've seen none whatsoever on offer.  If I give you Planned Parenthood, how bout I get to tax capital gains at 17.5%?
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2011, 03:51:53 pm »

Ok.  So based on the way the shutdown is set to work, all "non-essential" services will be closed, as well as many of the "non-essential" elements of other essential departments.

"non-essential". . .hmm.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org