A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:08:30 pm
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Federal Government Shutdown Thread  (Read 51318 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #150 on: April 13, 2011, 12:03:29 am »

We can keep going back and forth if you like. My point is that with the present tax code, that's simply not possible, and there's no political will for a significant rewrite.

I get what you're saying, and if it had a snowball's chance in hell of actually playing out that way, I'd agree with you. I think I've mentioned many times before that I'd be perfectly happy going back to Clinton rates with some adjustments for inflation. That would mean everybody who pays tax would pay more than 1% extra.

What you keep missing is that if everyone gives a nominal amount, no one sacrifices more than anyone else.  That's true "economic justice".

You are trying to extrapolate too much out of the conversation.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #151 on: April 13, 2011, 12:37:29 pm »

What you keep missing is that if everyone gives a nominal amount, no one sacrifices more than anyone else.  That's true "economic justice".

You are trying to extrapolate too much out of the conversation.
Talk to me about justice when certain forms of income don't get preferential treatment. Until then, the word is meaningless when it comes to the tax code. We can keep discussing this plate of beans, but it's so far divorced from reality that it's pretty much pointless.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #152 on: April 13, 2011, 01:20:21 pm »

Defining income to be taxed has always been a problem.

I am expecting to be taxed any year now on the perquisite that I work in a heated/air conditioned office. (Yes, heated in the winter and air conditioned in the summer.)  Is the heat/ac that I receive worth more than the heat/ac that a co-worker who is paid less receives?  If not, am I getting a bargain.  What if my co-worker can't afford the tax?  What about the workers that are in the non-airconditioned portion of the building.

I know this is an exaggeration.  Where do you want to draw the line?

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #153 on: April 13, 2011, 01:22:11 pm »

I am expecting to be taxed any year now on the perquisite that I work in a heated/air conditioned office. (Yes, heated in the winter and air conditioned in the summer.)  Is the heat/ac that I receive worth more than the heat/ac that a co-worker who is paid less receives?  If not, am I getting a bargain.  What if my co-worker can't afford the tax?  What about the workers that are in the non-airconditioned portion of the building.

That's for giving some one a new idea Red.  Wink

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #154 on: April 13, 2011, 01:24:00 pm »

That's for giving some one a new idea Red.  Wink

With all the things the IRS considers "income", I find it highly unlikely they haven't already thought of it.

Grin

Edit: spelling corrections
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 07:09:09 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #155 on: April 13, 2011, 01:46:20 pm »

Talk to me about justice when certain forms of income don't get preferential treatment. Until then, the word is meaningless when it comes to the tax code. We can keep discussing this plate of beans, but it's so far divorced from reality that it's pretty much pointless.

Liberals and Conservatives cannot communicate using that lexicon.  The term "Justice" has s definition that is unique to each ideology.

Liberal Justice- is providing for the unfortunate using capital taken from the fortunate.  It is based on a belief that life is a lottery, and those with means have amassed those means by luck or by taking advantage of others.  Therefore, they owe a capital debt to society, and have a responsibility to right the injustice caused by their success.  Success and property are viewed as finite, and ownership is granted by government.  Justice is the voice of the majority.

Conservative Justice- recognizes that wealth is built through hard work, innovation, and skill.  Justice is simply a level playing ground where each able bodied person can achieve based on skills, work ethic, and creativity.   The poor can become rich, and the rich can become poor and all have the freedom to succeed or fail.  I have no right to your property and you have no right to mine.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #156 on: April 13, 2011, 01:52:25 pm »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Z2csf30PY&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

No child shall go without food while billionaires feast!
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #157 on: April 13, 2011, 03:03:28 pm »

Liberals and Conservatives cannot communicate using that lexicon.  The term "Justice" has s definition that is unique to each ideology.

Liberal Justice- is providing for the unfortunate using capital taken from the fortunate.  It is based on a belief that life is a lottery, and those with means have amassed those means by luck or by taking advantage of others.  Therefore, they owe a capital debt to society, and have a responsibility to right the injustice caused by their success.  Success and property are viewed as finite, and ownership is granted by government.  Justice is the voice of the majority.

Conservative Justice- recognizes that wealth is built through hard work, innovation, and skill.  Justice is simply a level playing ground where each able bodied person can achieve based on skills, work ethic, and creativity.   The poor can become rich, and the rich can become poor and all have the freedom to succeed or fail.  I have no right to your property and you have no right to mine.

I thinks you might be a little mistaken. Why do you feel compelled to label and then identify what the label means?

Liberal definition by Dictionary.com...

lib·er·al   /ˈlɪbərəl, ˈlɪbrəl/  Show Spelled
[lib-er-uhl, lib-ruhl]  Show IPA

–adjective
1. favorable to progress or reform, as in political or religious affairs.
2. ( often initial capital letter ) noting or pertaining to a political party advocating measures of progressive political reform.
3. of, pertaining to, based on, or advocating liberalism.
4. favorable to or in accord with concepts of maximum individual freedom possible, especially as guaranteed by law and secured by governmental protection of civil liberties.
5. favoring or permitting freedom of action, especially with respect to matters of personal belief or expression: a liberal policy toward dissident artists and writers.
6. of or pertaining to representational forms of government rather than aristocracies and monarchies.
7. free from prejudice or bigotry; tolerant: a liberal attitude toward foreigners.
8. open-minded or tolerant, especially free of or not bound by traditional or conventional ideas, values, etc.
9. characterized by generosity and willingness to give in large amounts: a liberal donor.
10. given freely or abundantly; generous: a liberal donation.
11. not strict or rigorous; free; not literal: a liberal interpretation of a rule.
12. of, pertaining to, or based on the liberal arts.
13. of, pertaining to, or befitting a freeman.

Read number 8 over and over...

Power is nothing till you use it.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #158 on: April 13, 2011, 03:19:17 pm »

I thinks you might be a little mistaken. Why do you feel compelled to label and then identify what the label means?

Liberal definition by Dictionary.com...

lib·er·al   /ˈlɪbərəl, ˈlɪbrəl/  Show Spelled
[lib-er-uhl, lib-ruhl]  Show IPA

–adjective
1. favorable to progress or reform, as in political or religious affairs.
2. ( often initial capital letter ) noting or pertaining to a political party advocating measures of progressive political reform.
3. of, pertaining to, based on, or advocating liberalism.
4. favorable to or in accord with concepts of maximum individual freedom possible, especially as guaranteed by law and secured by governmental protection of civil liberties.
5. favoring or permitting freedom of action, especially with respect to matters of personal belief or expression: a liberal policy toward dissident artists and writers.
6. of or pertaining to representational forms of government rather than aristocracies and monarchies.
7. free from prejudice or bigotry; tolerant: a liberal attitude toward foreigners.
8. open-minded or tolerant, especially free of or not bound by traditional or conventional ideas, values, etc.
9. characterized by generosity and willingness to give in large amounts: a liberal donor.
10. given freely or abundantly; generous: a liberal donation.
11. not strict or rigorous; free; not literal: a liberal interpretation of a rule.
12. of, pertaining to, or based on the liberal arts.
13. of, pertaining to, or befitting a freeman.

Read number 8 over and over...

How would you define social/economic justice?

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #159 on: April 13, 2011, 04:02:49 pm »

Oh Good Lord!  I just got done watching the president's speech.  Nothing serious about it.  I'm happy he seems willing to make some cuts but this speech was supposed to be specifics and ended up being more generalization.

The one thing that did come out of it was a new term: “spending reductions in the tax code" is the new term for tax increases.  What is it with generating new vocabulary for things that you don't want to address head on?

I guess the best part of the speech was all of the folks that fell asleep.  ABC was good enough to put a camera on one of them.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKx8szuzioI[/youtube]

Jumpin Joe, you never fail to deliver.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #160 on: April 13, 2011, 04:08:03 pm »

Oh Good Lord!  I just got done watching the president's speech.  Nothing serious about it.  I'm happy he seems willing to make some cuts but this speech was supposed to be specifics and ended up being more generalization.

The one thing that did come out of it was a new term: “spending reductions in the tax code" is the new term for tax increases.  What is it with generating new vocabulary for things that you don't want to address head on?

I guess the best part of the speech was all of the folks that fell asleep.  ABC was good enough to put a camera on one of them.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKx8szuzioI[/youtube]

Jumpin Joe, you never fail to deliver.

Posted this link just because of the article's title.

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/04/13/video-biden-taking-obamas-deficit-speech-about-as-seriously-as-the-rest-of-us/

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #161 on: April 13, 2011, 04:08:36 pm »

How would you define social/economic justice?

Why?

I didn't mention social/economic justice in my response.

How about you define mid century intellectualism?

Power is nothing till you use it.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #162 on: April 13, 2011, 04:36:46 pm »

Defining income to be taxed has always been a problem.
Why is it that income from investments is taxed at a lesser rate than income from labor?

Gaspar, it's really too bad that you invent your own meanings for words in some attempt to quell the cognitive dissonance going on in your head. Why should wealthy people's money be taxed less than poor people's money? Surely even you see a problem there..

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #163 on: April 13, 2011, 04:48:31 pm »

I thought the reason CGT were lower was to encourage investment. If the CGT rate was the same as the income tax, why would anyone want to invest?

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #164 on: April 13, 2011, 04:51:17 pm »

I thought the reason CGT were lower was to encourage investment. If the CGT rate was the same as the income tax, why would anyone want to invest?
Why wouldn't they? What else are they going to do with their money, sit on it? You make me laugh sometimes.  Cheesy

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org