A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:36:06 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Government For Sale  (Read 6091 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« on: March 31, 2011, 10:45:02 am »

Cool trick.  Let's say you are an attorney for your day job and you preside over the Oklahoma State Senate as your moonlighting job.  Companies want favors, so you tell them to hire you as their attorney and they will get favorable treatment on legislation.

No wonder state legislators do so well on $38,400 a year (plus $150/day per diem).

Former Senator Mike Morgan from Stillwater gets the crooked doosh of the week award.

"Grand jurors said Morgan was paid $4,166 a month by a company that wanted to build a solid waste landfill in northern Oklahoma. He was paid a total of $141,664 over three years, according to the indictment. Skeith was the company's lobbyist, and Stringer was the company's lead Oklahoma attorney.

Grand jurors said Morgan was paid $5,000 a month by a company that wanted to build a power plant in Oklahoma. “Between Dec. 31, 2004, and Dec. 31, 2008, these checks totaled $250,000,” according to the indictment. Skeith was a lobbyist for that company, too.

Grand jurors said Morgan was paid $1,000 a month by a company that wanted to limit the Health Department's regulation of assisted-living centers. Grand jurors said Morgan collected a total of $12,000 in bribes from that company from July 2006 through July 2007.

Grand jurors said Morgan told the company owner in a May 2006 meeting at the Capitol that if the company “wanted his assistance in dealing with the Oklahoma Department of Health, it would have to hire him as a lawyer and pay him a retainer of $1,000 per month.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/former-oklahoma-senate-leader-indicted-on-federal-bribery-extortion-mail-fraud-counts/article/3554103#ixzz1ICF5thoS

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 10:58:54 am »

Grand jurors said Morgan was paid $1,000 a month by a company that wanted to limit the Health Department's regulation of assisted-living centers. Grand jurors said Morgan collected a total of $12,000 in bribes from that company from July 2006 through July 2007.

Grand jurors said Morgan told the company owner in a May 2006 meeting at the Capitol that if the company “wanted his assistance in dealing with the Oklahoma Department of Health, it would have to hire him as a lawyer and pay him a retainer of $1,000 per month.”

This company got a bargain compared to the others.  Who/what else did they know?

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 11:07:51 am »

At least we haven't legalized it (yet):

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/stateroundup/lets-say-it-again-floridas-legislators-are-for-sale/1160221

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 11:13:01 am »

At least we haven't legalized it (yet):

We can't be #1 in anything.  We need to try harder.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 12:58:09 pm »

I know this guy. He went to school here in Tulsa and I was in classes with his younger brother.

I am giving him the benefit of the doubt until proven guilty. These indictments are from statements from a lobbyist about a lawyer and a politician. I am not sure any of those professions are bastions of truth.

Morgan was a very powerful democrat. Republicans did not like him and they are now in charge.

The grand jury process and trial will let us know which is true...either power corrupted or this is political payback.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 01:09:49 pm »

I agree RM...knew MM many years ago before I became apathetic about Oklahoma politics.  Undecided

Politicians are a sleazy bunch, though.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 06:11:39 pm »

It doesn't take much knowledge of Oklahoma Law to realize that industry and lobbying efforts run the state.  #1 Insurance Companies, #2 Doctors and #3 Churches.    Very few laws get past that doesn't directly benefit these groups - legal consequences, merit, detriment to Oklahomans, or if the law makes any sense at all (many have one "stated" purpose that do nothing at all to address that state purpose).

I have very low regard for politicians as a group in Oklahoma.  in this instance he has been indicted by a Federal Jury, which *should* be less prone to Oklahoma politics and a life-time appointed gate keeper (District Judge).  But I have no specifics int he case above the facts "found" by the Grand Jury, who could probably indict a grape jelly donut for staining my shirt green.

Innocent until proven guilty.  Once proven guilty on corruption charges I'm in favor of the most extreme punishments allowable.  Cheating the people you are supposed to and are paid to serve needs to be punished so severely any dirt ball in the future thinks twice.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 06:31:38 pm »

It doesn't take much knowledge of Oklahoma Law to realize that industry and lobbying efforts run the state.  #1 Insurance Companies, #2 Doctors and #3 Churches.    Very few laws get past that doesn't directly benefit these groups - legal consequences, merit, detriment to Oklahomans, or if the law makes any sense at all (many have one "stated" purpose that do nothing at all to address that state purpose).

What about our profession CF? Did you forget about trial lawyers and what they give to campaigns or otherwise affect the legislative process?  Here's a reminder:

The 2010 state election campaign was a $37 million affair that was financed by folks from all walks of life but led by lawyers and lobbyists, who accounted for one out of every six dollars given to candidates, a World analysis of campaign data indicates.

Lawyers and lobbyists gave a combined $6.2 million to campaigns ranging from those running for governor to district attorney to House of Representatives.

The two professions, whose job functions often overlap, were also the top givers among industry sectors during the 2008 state political campaigns.

Two Oklahoma City area attorneys were among the top givers to campaigns.

Reggie Whitten of Edmond ranked second among individuals, splitting $93,750 among Republican, Democrat and nonpartisan judicial 2010 campaigns

A Norman attorney, Richard Bell, contributed $72,183 to various Republican, Democrat and nonpartisan candidates, placing him fourth among contributors.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleid=20110313_11_A1_Thesta460118

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 06:17:29 am »

Who do you think makes up the lobby groups?  Lawyers of course.  And when a defense firm is trying to keep insurance business you bet they give money where "suggested".  Just by looking at the laws it is VERY clear which side has the edge - what was the last law passed that wasn't written by the insurance companies or doctors?  If I wanted the law changed and took billions from oklahoma every year id buy new laws and ask my contractors to help in the effort too.  The system sucks - business will operate for their own interest.

But I digress back on topic:

Rm - this guy has been under FBI investigation for YEARS.  That makes the claim that OKC politics is the motivator far fetched.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 06:32:36 am »

My gut feeling is that he will be found guilty. I respect the process and the investigators.

But, until proven guilty, he ain't guilty.

Power is nothing till you use it.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 08:11:29 am »

Who do you think makes up the lobby groups?  Lawyers of course.  And when a defense firm is trying to keep insurance business you bet they give money where "suggested".  Just by looking at the laws it is VERY clear which side has the edge - what was the last law passed that wasn't written by the insurance companies or doctors?  If I wanted the law changed and took billions from oklahoma every year id buy new laws and ask my contractors to help in the effort too.  The system sucks - business will operate for their own interest.

But I digress back on topic:

Rm - this guy has been under FBI investigation for YEARS.  That makes the claim that OKC politics is the motivator far fetched.

So it's lawyers lobbying for rights-stealing doctors and not their self-interests? Got it. Tell me, in reading the article I posted which I thought discussed "lawyers AND lobbyists"--not "lawyers ACTING AS lobbyists"--which doctor were those two lawyers identified working for when they individually gave all that cash?

Perhaps I'll rejoin the ABA because they are out there lobbying for people other than themselves.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 08:37:02 am by guido911 » Logged

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 05:20:02 pm »

To be sure, Lawyers lobby for themselves.  But looking at every law passed in Oklahoma since I have lived in this state there hasn't been one that the insurance lobby would object to.  It has led me to believe that the insurance lobby has a disproportional influence $omehow.   I would be happy to debate that point in another thread as I wish to keep this thread open for future developments in the public corruption  charges.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 05:33:10 pm »

I would be happy to debate that point in another thread as I wish to keep this thread open for future developments in the public corruption  charges.

Agreed.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org