A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:43:09 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bixby Bond Vote  (Read 9698 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« on: March 27, 2011, 02:38:38 pm »

I saw signs going up wanting Bixby folks to vote yes on some general bond issue. RM or any other Bixby residents have a take on this because I am leaning "no".

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 02:59:22 pm »

I don't remember exactly what the new bonds are for but I believe they will be replacing some retiring bonds so taxes will not increase.  It's been a while so I'm not sure.

Typical tactics though.  Let the issue slide under the rug for a while then hold a low key vote.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 03:46:23 pm »

I read that the bond money will go to parks and road improvement. While I want Bixby to be more attractive to potential newcomers, neither of those improvements will benefit me in any meaningful way. I think the last time I went to "downtown" Bixby it was to tag a truck I bought last Christmas.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 03:59:28 pm »

I read that the bond money will go to parks and road improvement. While I want Bixby to be more attractive to potential newcomers, neither of those improvements will benefit me in any meaningful way. I think the last time I went to "downtown" Bixby it was to tag a truck I bought last Christmas.

I'd rather have them snow plow the residential streets when there is enough snow that you can't go even after you shovel your driveway.  The only reason I didn't have to take more vacation than I did for the first storm in Feb is because the guys across the street have a Jeep and big pick-up and they felt like smashing down some snow.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 04:10:05 pm »

There might be a few things to interest you.

Improvements to 111th & Memorial.  Storm sirens.

http://www.allbusiness.com/sports-recreation/sports-recreation-facilities-venues/15445908-1.html

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 04:26:54 pm »

There might be a few things to interest you.

Improvements to 111th & Memorial.  Storm sirens.

http://www.allbusiness.com/sports-recreation/sports-recreation-facilities-venues/15445908-1.html

Thanks for the link (and yes, there are some things in there that is close home). As for snow removal, I too would like to see some improvement there. I am still a little hack off over the ruts the trucks left in our neighborhood's landscaped property.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 04:29:55 pm by guido911 » Logged

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 05:02:40 pm »

Thanks for the link (and yes, there are some things in there that is close home). As for snow removal, I too would like to see some improvement there. I am still a little hack off over the ruts the trucks left in our neighborhood's landscaped property.

As I understand it, the City of Bixby plans to NOT plow the neighborhoods.  If your streets were plowed, it is because someone (probably your neighborhood association) contracted to have it done.  Check with them.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 06:45:15 pm »

As I understand it, the City of Bixby plans to NOT plow the neighborhoods.  If your streets were plowed, it is because someone (probably your neighborhood association) contracted to have it done.  Check with them.

The snow removal I was discussing was on 111th street, between Sheridan and Memorial, which is the front of our subdivision (I think you probably know where I am at. We did pay a contractor to clean up our neighborhood's streets and there was no damage like what we had out front.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 08:17:09 pm »

I don't live in Bixby, but I have spoke to some city officials about this bond issue.

I like the park improvements. Bentley Park is becoming a regional attraction for kids sports and bringing lots of visitors to town. Restrooms, concessions and new lights will really help keep the momentum going. It also adds splash pads, fences, and some drainage improvements. That is half the bond issue.

The traffic stuff is less than sexy, but probably needed. With construction material prices still lower than a couple of years ago, now is probably a good time to go out to bid for work.

I tend to support reasonable sized bond issues when I have confidence in the current leadership. In this case I have both.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 08:26:16 pm »

I don't live in Bixby, but I have spoke to some city officials about this bond issue.

I like the park improvements. Bentley Park is becoming a regional attraction for kids sports and bringing lots of visitors to town. Restrooms, concessions and new lights will really help keep the momentum going. It also adds splash pads, fences, and some drainage improvements. That is half the bond issue.

The traffic stuff is less than sexy, but probably needed. With construction material prices still lower than a couple of years ago, now is probably a good time to go out to bid for work.

I tend to support reasonable sized bond issues when I have confidence in the current leadership. In this case I have both.

Thank you for the input.  No sarcasm intended.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 09:20:51 pm »

Thank you for the input.  No sarcasm intended.

Well RM's input might have just made me a "yes".

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 09:24:43 pm »

Well RM's input might have just made me a "yes".

Well...God-Damn..!!!!!!!  Grin Wink
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 10:12:36 pm by Breadburner » Logged

ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 06:55:14 pm »

Link to current results:

http://kjrh.m0bl.net/w/elections/story/24199225/
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 07:34:55 pm »

Thanks for the link. I was a yes on two and a no on the others.

ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 09:02:14 pm »

Looks like all of Bixby's propositions will pass. You know what I really hate? All those signs that say "Make Bixby Better." First step in making Bixby better, take out all trashy looking "Make Bixby Better" signs.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org