A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:14:11 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "In God We Trust" on all federal buildings?  (Read 15253 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 08:16:14 am »

Looked up the motto:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_We_Trust

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 08:35:34 am »

Because we are a nation of whiny little pu....., I mean cowards when it comes to expression of religious conviction which incidentally is at the heart of this country's founding. This "crap idea" offends you? Sheesh, steer clear of our Declaration of Independence" then because you may really crap yourself.

It’s not at all the statement that offends me, it’s the dictating that it always be included in the design of public buildings.

And religious conviction was not at the heart of this country's founding, at all. Religion was pretty clearly kept out of government, on purpose.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 08:37:00 am »

Actually the freedom of religion and the expression of those religions, or lack there of, are at the heart of this country's founding.  Which really means that you don't use the government and the law of the land to shove your personal beliefs down everyone elses throat.  It's bad enough that when someone steps outside the norm with their beliefs (and I'm not talking Charlie Sheen outside, just outside) all of the religious nuts try to shame them into admitting they are wrong, but it seems that you and those like you want to have the government do it as well.  Tell me, what is the purpose of having "In God We Trust" not only as our motto, but on every federal building as well?
Having "In God We Trust" on our buildings is tantamount to shoving personal belief's down a person's throat? Man, I guess we are a nation of weaklings.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 08:38:04 am »

It’s not at all the statement that offends me, it’s the dictating that it always be included in the design of public buildings.

And religious conviction was not at the heart of this country's founding, at all. Religion was pretty clearly kept out of government, on purpose.

Except for all that "endowed by our Allah, er...Creator" crap, I guess you are right.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 08:44:09 am »

Except for all that "endowed by our Allah, er...Creator" crap, I guess you are right.

What are you yapping about?  Where have you seen that?  Who is telling you they want to put that on the buildings/money?  Place monuments on the city/state/federal properties?  Are they telling you you are a coward for not supporting their religious ideas?
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 08:45:37 am »

What are you yapping about?  Where have you seen that?  Who is telling you they want to put that on the buildings/money?  Place monuments on the city/state/federal properties?  Are they telling you you are a coward for not supporting their religious ideas?

Seriously, where is this being done.  Who in the hell spent federal money to put that on a building?  I haven't heard about this yet.  I guess the main stream media isn't covering it.  Please let us know.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 08:51:16 am »

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 12:05:22 pm »

Having "In God We Trust" on our buildings is tantamount to shoving personal belief's down a person's throat? Man, I guess we are a nation of weaklings.
So you would be okay if the Motto was changed to "In a Myth we Trust" if it was to be mandated for it to be on all federal buildings?  And yes, having a proclimation to your beliefs being placed on everything federal, from buildings to currancy, is shoving your religion down my throat.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 12:21:49 pm »

So you would be okay if the Motto was changed to "In a Myth we Trust" if it was to be mandated for it to be on all federal buildings?  And yes, having a proclimation to your beliefs being placed on everything federal, from buildings to currancy, is shoving your religion down my throat.
Not my choice on what our national motto is. If you want it changed, have at it. Oh, and grow a damned pair. I cannot believe you feel so threatened and abused over "In God we Trust", particularly since you were super quick in dismissing the Tulsa police officer who felt his religious freedoms were being abused when the government through proclamation ordered him to order others to attend an Islamic event.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 12:52:24 pm »

Not my choice on what our national motto is. If you want it changed, have at it. Oh, and grow a damned pair. I cannot believe you feel so threatened and abused over "In God we Trust", particularly since you were super quick in dismissing the Tulsa police officer who felt his religious freedoms were being abused when the government through proclamation ordered him to order others to attend an Islamic event.

So wait, which is it, grow a pair and change the motto, or grow a pair and ignore the motto? How exactly could Cust man up here? 
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 12:56:57 pm »

You never answered either of my questions, the first would be what is the purpose of having that as our motto and placing it on every building.  The second would be are you saying that if the motto were different and endorsed a belief other than yours such as I proposed, would you have a problem with it being on everything federal?

And I love how you say I need to grow a pair because I speak out against something I disagree with.  I am willing to go against the status quo yet apparantly I'm a weakling.  

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 01:36:12 pm »

Oh, and grow a damned pair. I cannot believe you feel so threatened and abused over "In God we Trust", particularly since you were super quick in dismissing the Tulsa police officer who felt his religious freedoms were being abused when the government through proclamation ordered him to order others to attend an Islamic event.

So apparently all these people dipped in Jesus need to grow a pair about feeling threatened by any and all faiths/non-faiths different than theirs.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 02:05:01 pm »

Wait, so using federal money to put islamic sayings on buildings is telling a Police officer to go to a muslim event? (Islamic Center of Tulsa’s Law Enforcement Appreciation Day)  http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/02/23/oklahoma-police-captain-refuses-attend-islamic-event/ 

I think it is a made up story.  Obviously the captain is a Sean Hannity Clone.

Honestly, if the person hates Muslim people.  You shouldn't make them attend.  They person in charge should have shown up as the police precense.  What fox left out was "The reason for the event was to show appreciation to the police for catching an individual who had reportedly been making threats against the mosque."
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011, 04:44:29 pm »

So wait, which is it, grow a pair and change the motto, or grow a pair and ignore the motto? How exactly could Cust man up here?  

He could start by stopping the hyperbole and whining over this real non-issue. Seriously, any religiously-tinged piece of legislation that's out there gets the tiresome and standard "what if it was [fill in your favorite religion that most likely will piss off the Christians]" response.

Whether you or anyone else chooses to believe it, we are by a large margin a Christian nation. Sorry if that offends you, but it is fact. As a Christian/Roman Catholic, I base much of my belief structure on my faith--such as my stance on abortion and my opposition to the death penalty. I also have no real problem with very minor issues like "In God We Trust" on our money, or saying "under God" in the pledge or legislatures having an opening prayer. But when people start equating those activities in this country to Pakistan, or that they feel religion is being rammed down their throats, I twist off.  It's not only fallacious (no, not fellatio you B&B crowd) and stupid, the latter illustrates the weak-kneed cowardice of some people.

And just as a reminder, "under God" and "In God We Trust" are not unconstitutional. Indeed, consistent with my earlier post, there is this as well:

The phrase "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance and "In God We Trust" on U.S. money do not violate the Constitution's separation of church and state, a federal appeals court panel has ruled in San Francisco.

"The Pledge is constitutional," Judge Carlos Bea wrote for the majority in the 2-1 ruling by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel. "The Pledge of Allegiance serves to unite our vast nation through the proud recitation of some of the ideals upon which our Republic was founded."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2010/03/court-under-god-and-in-god-we-trust-are-constitutional-/1

If that's not enough, there's this from the Supremes:

Moreover, apart from that claim of coercion, we do not see how New York by this type of 'released time' program has made a law respecting an establishment of religion within the meaning of the First Amendment. There is much talk of the separation of Church and State in the history of the Bill of Rights and in the decisions clustering around the First Amendment. See Everson v. Board of Education, 330 U.S. 1, 67 S.Ct. 504, 91 L.Ed. 711; McCollum v. Board of Education, supra. There cannot be the slightest doubt that the First Amendment reflects the philosophy that Church and State should be separated. And so far as interference with the 'free exercise' of religion and an 'establishment' of religion are concerned, the separation must be complete and unequivocal. The First Amendment within the scope of its coverage permits no exception; the prohibition is absolute. The First Amendment, however, does not say that in every and all respects there shall be a separation of Church and State. Rather, it studiously defines the manner, the specific ways, in which there shall be no concert or union or dependency one on the other. That is the common sense of the matter. Otherwise the state and religion would be aliens to each other—hostile, suspicious, and even unfriendly. Churches could not be required to pay even property taxes. Municipalities would not be permitted to render police or fire protection to religious groups. Policemen who helped parishioners into their places of worship would violate the Constitution. Prayers in our legislative halls; the appeals to the Almighty in the messages of the Chief Executive; the proclamations making Thanksgiving Day a holiday; 'so help me God' in our courtroom oaths—these and all other references to the Almighty that run through our laws, our public rituals, our ceremonies would be flouting the First Amendment. A fastidious atheist or agnostic could even object to the supplication with which the Court opens each session: 'God save the United States and this Honorable Court.'
We are a religious people whose institutions presuppose a Supreme Being. We guarantee the freedom to worship as one chooses. We make room for as wide a variety of beliefs and creeds as the spiritual needs of man deem necessary....
[Emphasis added].
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zorach_v._Clauson#Text_of_Opinion

I guess even hearing from the top will not stop the bedwetting and hand wringing over "In God We Trust".
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 04:49:13 pm by guido911 » Logged

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2011, 04:53:20 pm »

So apparently all these people dipped in Jesus ...

whatever.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org