A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:27:10 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fallin cuts top tax rate, says state revenue growth is enough.  (Read 112482 times)
we vs us
City Father

« on: February 23, 2011, 08:04:54 am »

Fallin has decided to cut the top state income tax rate by a 1/4% because "revenue growth is enough" to warrant it.  This despite her 3% across the board budget cuts this year, and 2012's projected $500 million dollar budget gap. 

What the love, people. This makes ZERO sense.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=16&articleid=20110222_11_0_OKLAHO282044&rss_lnk=298,297
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 09:34:46 am »

Cool!  Attracting more businesses that are fleeing the blue states.

Should also help our housing market.  We still are holding a large inventory of homes in the 300K + range.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 12:28:47 pm »

Just imagine how much it could be cut if we wiped out government waste or how much better our services could be if we wiped out government waste. Either way you want to look at it eliminating the waste should be priority 1. Of course you, I and the oak trees know that is never going to happen in our lifetimes.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 12:47:40 pm »

Tax cuts for the wealthier taxpayers has always been a sound economic political strategy.
/s  Roll Eyes

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 12:51:16 pm »

Tax cuts for the wealthier taxpayers has always been a sound economic political strategy.
/s  Roll Eyes

I like it.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 01:34:38 pm »

Should also help our housing market.  We still are holding a large inventory of homes in the 300K + range.

I don't think .25% is going to be a major attraction for outside investment or .

It's not fiscal conservatism to reduce income when there's still a deficit resulting from too much outflow.  

I'm not impressed with this gesture so that Gov. Fallin can say she "cut taxes".  I seriously doubt this is a substantial amount, I'm sick and tired of symbolic politics.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 08:30:55 pm »

Sick and tired of symbolic politics...

And yet, this state keeps voting them in.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 09:51:15 pm »

Yeah, that's not actually happening. It shows what a crock of smile the supposed fiscal conservatism is. To do it correctly, you have a surplus and then cut taxes. Ever since Reagan acted the fool, it seems everyone else has done what they can to get in on the action.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 09:58:48 pm »

Yeah, that's not actually happening. It shows what a crock of smile the supposed fiscal conservatism is. To do it correctly, you have a surplus and then cut taxes. Ever since Reagan acted the fool, it seems everyone else has done what they can to get in on the action.

Yeah, but he was going to pay it back eventually.  At some point the Neo-Cons decided that wasn't really necessary nor a priority because deficits don't matter.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 10:01:16 pm »

Hmmmmm, We are facing a budget shortfall, (lightbulb), I got an idea! Let's cut taxes and then maybe we will become debt free. Hey wait a minute...

I do not understand why so many Oklahomans fall for this time after time. These people who want taxes cut are the same people who complain that the country is in debt. We must come up with a real solution, not one that will get somebody elected again in 2012, or 2014.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 12:19:45 am »

Yeah, but he was going to pay it back eventually.  At some point the Neo-Cons decided that wasn't really necessary nor a priority because deficits don't matter.
That's the problem. The states don't have the same financial "independence" the federal government has, since they don't control the money supply. Some people seem not to understand that, even though it only takes a quick look at the Euro zone to get a handle on how it works.

ZYX, they're also the ones who complain that we have some of the worst roads in the nation and that all our bridges are crumbling and wonder why nothing is done. (well that and the real fools who claim our roads aren't bad and our bridges aren't falling down, but those folks are obviously divorced from reality)

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 05:11:14 am »

Ah yes, roads. The only thing that could possibly make a community better.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 05:38:33 am »

Ever since Reagan acted the fool. . .

Yeah, we should go back to the pre-Regan tax structure.  That would make this country great! 

Bahahahahah!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 05:58:49 am »

Yeah, we should go back to the pre-Regan tax structure.  That would make this country great!  

Bahahahahah!

I'd even settle for Reagan's tax structure.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 06:01:05 am by we vs us » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 09:58:17 am »

Ah yes, roads. The only thing that could possibly make a community better.

And one of the primary functions we expect out of government.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org