A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 09:14:26 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: should city unions control city elections  (Read 6521 times)
shadows
City Father

« on: February 19, 2011, 03:51:33 pm »

Should the city unions control city elections?

The mayor is taking another shot at the control over the election of by the union’s.

This is an act of a city manager/mayor (like we have) and it limit the powers of those who are seeking more influence over city elections. 

Being not too fond of the mayor decisions in the past I believe that the struggle over who is to control the city must be addressed.

Should it be left up to the citizens through the electoral process with a mayor, acting as a business executive or the city employees acting through their unions?   

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 05:26:22 pm »

I think elections should be done with scratch-off lottery tickets.

It might raise enough money to help the working poor.

Power is nothing till you use it.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 07:33:42 pm »

After witnessing the behavior of the public sector employees the last couple of days in Madison, WI, I don't want unions anywhere near the democratic process.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
cynical
Civic Leader

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 12:33:51 am »

Fortunately, the 1st Amendment disagrees. Even public employees have the right of free speech on their own time.

After witnessing the behavior of the public sector employees the last couple of days in Madison, WI, I don't want unions anywhere near the democratic process.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 11:16:16 am »

Should the city unions control city elections?

The Union as an organization, NO!

Individual citizens that happen to be Union members, the same as non-Union citizens.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 12:38:24 pm »

Fortunately, the 1st Amendment disagrees. Even public employees have the right of free speech on their own time.

Even with or without BS doctor's notes? Oh, and how damned thankful am I for the First Amendment when I see these signs carried by those that educate our children:

Patiently awaiting lecture on free speech...

cynical
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 01:55:17 pm »

Yes. The same 1st Amendment that protects Fox News protects public employees

Even with or without BS doctor's notes? Oh, and how damned thankful am I for the First Amendment when I see these signs carried by those that educate our children:

Patiently awaiting lecture on free speech...

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 03:00:03 pm »

Yes. The same 1st Amendment that protects Fox News protects public employees

Fox News?  What's the matter, couldn't work Palin's name into the discussion? You apparently are not as clever as this protester in Wisconsin:

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 03:01:56 pm »

Fox News?  What's the matter, couldn't work Palin's name into the discussion? You apparently are not as clever as this protester in Wisconsin:

No, but you sure did.  Go wipe the drool.  I mean, I'm pretty sure you have a Palin Altar facing northwest in your house somewhere.  Sheesh.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 03:10:16 pm »

But public employees apparently don't want anyone else to have the free speech right.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvTjDUW0IIM&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

cynical
Civic Leader

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 03:54:33 pm »

So?  That doesn't mean that either they or their adversaries lack free speech rights. 

But public employees apparently don't want anyone else to have the free speech right.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvTjDUW0IIM&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 03:56:31 pm »

So?  That doesn't mean that either they or their adversaries lack free speech rights. 

Got it. Suppression of free speech acceptable to cynical.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 05:41:17 pm »

Maybe you should try keeping your spittle confined to one thread. Thanks.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 05:51:01 pm »

I've lost track of the score.

Is a Madison "Union operative" unplugging a speaker a demonstration of free speech by the "union"?

cynical
Civic Leader

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 06:25:43 pm »

Straw man.  You lose.

Got it. Suppression of free speech acceptable to cynical.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org