A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:16:09 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Piatto Tulsa Hills  (Read 11806 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« on: February 14, 2011, 08:23:37 am »

Location(s) Being Reviewed: Piatto
Date/Time of Visit: 2/12/11
Quality of Food (1-5): 5
Menu/Food Options (1-5): 5
Quality of Service (1-5): 5
Atmosphere (1-5): 5
Overall Rating (1-5): 5
Price ($-$$$$$):$$$
What makes this restaurant unique: Authentic recipes.  Great atmosphere.

When my wife told me we were going to that little Italian place in the Tulsa Hills Shopping Center I was not excited.  From the outside, it's not very impressive.  My expectations were low.

We arrived and the owner was outside of the front door talking with a few of the customers in Italian.  This was encouraging.  Once inside we were greeted by a very nice modern bar with a water wall seporating the bar area from the restaurant proper.  The kitchen was open and at the back of the main dining room.  Off of the left side of the dining room were two private dining rooms with walls lined in diagonal wine racks filled with wine.

The walls were bench seating for two-tops with chairs on the isle side.  The tables and furnishings were high quality and the sound level was very comfortable.  The dining area was lit with warm light and natural light from the bar area shining through the water wall.  Very nice!

We started with an appetizer of meatballs and Cesar salad.  The meatballs were the size of baseballs but light as marshmallows.  They were well seasoned with a very tasty bright marinara that we sopped up with bread.  The Italian bread provided was not great.  It was served with a saucer of high-quality seasoned olive oil that made up for the low quality of the bread.  The Cesar was excellent with real anchovy and egg, and shaved Parmesan.

My wife ordered a fennel salad as her entrée, and I ordered a chicken marsala.  The portions were perfect, rather than overwhelming you with a huge plate of garbage, Piatto offered normal portions with very good presentation.  My chicken marsala was a single chicken breast seared in the pan with a very light marsala wine sauce featuring real porchini mushrooms (unlike most of Tulsa's Italian restaurants that use dried or the sacrilege baby portibellas).  It was unlike most marsala entree's I've had because of the lightness of the sauce.  It was excellent!  The plate also featured lightly seasoned diced skin-on potatoes and spinach wilted in garlic butter.

My wife's fennel salad was also very good (not my bag, but good).  She loved it.

The owner made the rounds introducing himself to each table and was very excited to explain how each dish was prepared.  Very nice guy.

The service was excellent and we left content and anxious to brag about our experience.

Dinner and two glasses of good wine $68.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 09:09:01 am »

Quite different than one of my family member's visits:

"Ate there last night – food was awful.  Nothing is fresh.  Complained when it was put on the table that it was not what was expected based on menu description and get a weak explanation.  Then when waitress asked how everything tasted, I told her it was bad and would never get it again and told her again that it was not how it was described – she says she will tell the chef and that was it.  Unless the chef’s name is Boy Ardee, they are getting ripped off.  And it was not cheap either for what you get.  Cannot believe they did not offer to get us something different.  So don’t eat there and pass it on to everyone else not to – terrible food and even worse service.  They belong on Kitchen Nightmares show.  I have never eaten anywhere that when you at least bother to tell them you are not pleased that they do not offer something at least to try to make you happier.  You get the food fast – but it does not take long to warm up frozen food.  Gross!!!!!!"
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 09:30:31 am »

Quite different than one of my family member's visits:

"Ate there last night – food was awful.  Nothing is fresh.  Complained when it was put on the table that it was not what was expected based on menu description and get a weak explanation.  Then when waitress asked how everything tasted, I told her it was bad and would never get it again and told her again that it was not how it was described – she says she will tell the chef and that was it.  Unless the chef’s name is Boy Ardee, they are getting ripped off.  And it was not cheap either for what you get.  Cannot believe they did not offer to get us something different.  So don’t eat there and pass it on to everyone else not to – terrible food and even worse service.  They belong on Kitchen Nightmares show.  I have never eaten anywhere that when you at least bother to tell them you are not pleased that they do not offer something at least to try to make you happier.  You get the food fast – but it does not take long to warm up frozen food.  Gross!!!!!!"

Wow!  The only thing we had issue with was the bread.  It was not to the same caliber as everything else.  The place was absolutely packed on Saturday, including the bartop.  We had a reservation, but they were telling walk-ins that it would be at least 30 mins for a table.  This was at 5:45.

Perhaps we just got lucky.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 09:54:30 am »

I think you are going to get a mixed bag of reviews on any new restaurant for a few months until things level out, though it is interesting the vast difference in Gaspar's impression and Grizzle's relative.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 10:10:41 am »

We had one friend warn us before we went that the food was not great, but she was of a limited pallet.  We will be back, and if the experience varies, I'll follow up on this thread.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 10:33:46 am »

I think you are going to get a mixed bag of reviews on any new restaurant for a few months until things level out, though it is interesting the vast difference in Gaspar's impression and Grizzle's relative.

Yeah, and in fairness my relative went several months ago.

Although I have little respect for businesses who do not stay on top of their opening jitters. Replacing plates and comp'ing food should be commonplace for the first few weeks and months of a new venture.

Me, personally, I like Chef Boyardee but I also like paying 79c for it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 10:52:10 am »

Speaking of restaurants at Tulsa Hill's, is the salt mill Suckburger Smashburger still open?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 10:54:51 am »

Speaking of restaurants at Tulsa Hill's, is the salt mill Suckburger Smashburger still open?

Yup, they even opened another one at 71st & 169
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 12:09:27 pm »

Worst burger I've ever had. 

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 01:16:36 pm »

Almost as bad as the pile known as Obamacare.  Wink

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 04:04:25 pm »

Problem with crapburger is that we are not the right demographic.
You have to be 12 to 25 and not have lived yet to know what a great buger is.
My kid's and their friends just rave about it. Overly priced crap. IMO

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 04:05:30 pm »

Problem with crapburger is that we are not the right demographic.
You have to be 12 to 25 and not have lived yet to know what a great buger is.
My kid's and their friends just rave about it. Overly priced crap. IMO

I'll stick with Ron's, Hank's, and my patio grill.  Thanks.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
bmuscotty
Civic Leader

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 11:38:10 am »

Whataburger just down the street is better.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 01:55:37 pm »

Good Groupon today!!

$15 for $30 Worth of Authentic Italian Cuisine at Piatto Cucina Italiana http://www.groupon.com/deals/piatto?utm_campaign=UserReferral&utm_medium=email&utm_source=uu7142749

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 05:40:46 pm »

Tulsa Hills claims its first victim.
Piatto has closed.

Yes, it must be the location.  Service, management, bookkeeping, etc never play a roll.

FWIW, my wife and I liked the joint.   Although our meal was served suspiciously fast last time we went.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org