A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:21:14 am
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 50   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any new midtown/Cherry Street developments?  (Read 356025 times)
rebound
City Father

« Reply #480 on: July 09, 2020, 09:48:53 am »

Sad they tore that building down.  It had tons of Character.  Also interesting, but it looks like 624 S Boston also owns the building to West of there, which currently houses Solera Sobo.  Solera recently announced they would be vacating that building because the owner would not renew their lease.  (Or was asking an exorbitant number, can't remember.)   It sounds like they may have something planned for that entire space on the South side.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #481 on: July 11, 2020, 11:31:07 pm »

The Louisiane was apparently torn down today.  https://www.facebook.com/tulsaarchitecture/posts/10157078439056644

At 18th and Boston, Tulsa's fanciest restaurant became a pile of rubble

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/michael-overall-at-18th-and-boston-tulsas-fanciest-restaurant-became-a-pile-of-rubble/article_56cf56b8-f99c-5bd2-9928-69e4ca417db1.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #482 on: July 12, 2020, 09:35:23 am »

I seem to remember reading here or somewhere else that the  Louisiane building was only being held up by the bricks and electrical wiring. It was hacked up and redesigned so many times, and rumor had it that several remodels were done without permits or to code so it was cheaper to tear down and build new than to rehab what was there.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #483 on: July 12, 2020, 04:46:15 pm »

Load of potential for a great mixed-use development at this location next to the Midland Valley trail.  With the Gathering Place I feel like people in Tulsa have "discovered" this gem of a trail that midtown people have known about for decades.  18th & Boston seems like the best place for "trail-side" development with outdoor cafes you can access right off the trail.  The Knoll at Maple Ridge is a planned project to the north that also fronts the trail.  Once the new pedestrian bridge is open you'll be able to ride directly across the river on the Midland Valley trail.

Would love to eventually see something similar around where the trail crosses the highway over in Tracy Park around 13th & Owasso.  That's another gem of a neighborhood I feel like not many know about; same for Gunboat Park. 

« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 04:48:40 pm by SXSW » Logged

rebound
City Father

« Reply #484 on: July 13, 2020, 09:34:47 am »

Load of potential for a great mixed-use development at this location next to the Midland Valley trail.  With the Gathering Place I feel like people in Tulsa have "discovered" this gem of a trail that midtown people have known about for decades.  18th & Boston seems like the best place for "trail-side" development with outdoor cafes you can access right off the trail.  The Knoll at Maple Ridge is a planned project to the north that also fronts the trail.  Once the new pedestrian bridge is open you'll be able to ride directly across the river on the Midland Valley trail.

Would love to eventually see something similar around where the trail crosses the highway over in Tracy Park around 13th & Owasso.  That's another gem of a neighborhood I feel like not many know about; same for Gunboat Park. 

Agree on 18th and Boston.   Love that area.  Rode the trail Friday just to see the building being torn down.  Sad to see it go, but that spot could really anchor the SE corner of the area, and abut the trail.  If  the Knoll actually happens, that area will really start to rock.   Sad about Solera Sobo leaving though.   They are perfect there.

Also rode past Tracy Park neighborhood.  Every time I ride past it, I think its a neat area that just needs to hit critical mass on on some restores and it will go hard.   I think, though, that Gunboat Park will never really come back hard.  It's just not big enough, and there is very restricted in terms of access.  A few neat houses though.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #485 on: July 13, 2020, 09:50:46 am »

I think, though, that Gunboat Park will never really come back hard.  It's just not big enough, and there is very restricted in terms of access.  A few neat houses though.

I agree Gunboat will be more difficult than Tracy Park.  There is a local developer currently working to improve this neighborhood though: https://www.tulsapeople.com/city-desk/catalysts-for-change/article_e812ad4c-b8ac-11ea-a20b-0726ef7ce55e.html

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #486 on: August 11, 2020, 08:12:27 am »

The 15th St streetscape is mostly complete.  It’s definitely an improvement but why didn’t they add street trees?

Urban Enthusiast
Activist

« Reply #487 on: August 11, 2020, 04:26:57 pm »

The 15th St streetscape is mostly complete.  It’s definitely an improvement but why didn’t they add street trees?

That was my question.  There are no power lines on the north side of the street and there are all of those bump-outs with stamped concrete that looks like brick.  Those bump-outs would make good spots for trees. 
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #488 on: August 11, 2020, 04:56:15 pm »

That was my question.  There are no power lines on the north side of the street and there are all of those bump-outs with stamped concrete that looks like brick.  Those bump-outs would make good spots for trees.  

Yeah I guess they could be placeholders and could have a raised planter added but seems like a missed opportunity.  Agree this would be where you would want trees with the southern exposure on that side of the street.  Something like this:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 05:00:48 pm by SXSW » Logged

shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #489 on: August 12, 2020, 07:23:32 am »

I would bet money that they will end up with movable planters in the near future. Easier to maintain and move out of the way for events. Trees would have been nice as well though.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #490 on: August 12, 2020, 03:21:19 pm »

I would bet money that they will end up with movable planters in the near future. Easier to maintain and move out of the way for events. Trees would have been nice as well though.

Speaking of events will the Farmer's Market move back to Cherry Street?

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #491 on: August 12, 2020, 09:33:01 pm »

Speaking of events will the Farmer's Market move back to Cherry Street?

I'd love to see the Farmer's Market build a permanent facility somewhere close by so that way there'd be some fresh produce and local other items that could be purchased any day of the week.

One of my dream locations for them to do that would be the NEC of 15th/Boston on the area next to the Cincinnati ramp. ODOT owns a lot of that area that they don't really need and just creates and odd dead space between the main part of Cherry Street and Uptown/South Downtown. Having a market in that area would really help bridge the gap and would be directly off the trail that goes down to Riverside. 

On another note - I really don't get the cities thinking behind doing this so cheaply given this is one of the best urban retail areas in the city. The asphalt usage drives me crazy, there will be pot holes all over the place in a matter of months. Why they didn't build it out with concrete is beyond me. At least in those bump outs that could come back and add landscaping. Even if they didn't add street trees, doing native grasses and flower beds would do a lot.

Lower Greenville in Dallas is a perfect example of what I wished they would have done and I drive up/down this area almost daily. One of the only areas of Dallas I really like which is why I moved to that neighborhood. It felt very much like Brookside/Cherry Street. https://goo.gl/maps/7B336MdiVtjstYPV6

The other area I like a lot is the Farmer's Market. I'd love to see something similar built in Tulsa somewhere. https://goo.gl/maps/N4MVGBBeDazHoaH49

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #492 on: August 12, 2020, 10:56:36 pm »

Agree that Lower Greenville streetscape looks great.  It is definitely an improvement but I feel like it could’ve been done a lot better to create a more unique identity along 15th.  Like the lamps by Kilkenny’s.

AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #493 on: August 19, 2020, 10:23:43 am »

Construction fence now up around entire 15th street Subway restaurant building.  The eastern part of the building burned several months ago.  Anyone know if it is getting demolished?
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #494 on: August 19, 2020, 10:47:42 am »

Construction fence now up around entire 15th street Subway restaurant building.  The eastern part of the building burned several months ago.  Anyone know if it is getting demolished?

Hopefully whatever replaces it builds up the sidewalk.  With the new mixed-use building to the east that would help complete that block of Cherry Street.  Anyone know when they plan to open Sidecar?

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 50   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org