A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:17:35 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 50   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any new midtown/Cherry Street developments?  (Read 351674 times)
dbacks fan
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2011, 12:11:15 am »

Just curious: when was the last time you were in Tulsa?

I was last in Tulsa November '04 for my mothers funeral, and I didn't get to see alot of things I wanted to, and now I have time to come back and see things that have changed since. Most of what there is now was in it's infancy then, so quite a bit has changed. Most everything in the Blue Dome, Brady, and Cherry Street wasn't there or had not developed as much. Brookside was still mostly the same from when I left in '98, and downtown was still sleeping. I think there is a lot I will recognize, but it will be a lot different. I really want to see the BOk Center, I think that is the biggest change I'll see, but I think so much will just have a newness to it.
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2011, 12:26:41 am »

Boy, do we have something in store for you! Hope you like it...
dbacks fan
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2011, 12:39:01 am »

Boy, do we have something in store for you! Hope you like it...

Like I said before, watched so much of Tulsa die and disappear, and have read about the changes, I look forward to it. Especially the Mayo Hotel, I was always afraid that it would disappear like so many others. Watched the death of the Camelot and saw video of it being torn down, and whe I saw it, all I could compare it to was having to put down a family pet that just could not make it any more, it was sad to see it go, but it was in such bad shape, that there was no other choice. It's funny, I haven't been back in almost seven years, and so much has changed, and yes I know there's good and bad, but it's kind of like seeing a relative that you haven't seen in years, and you know they've changed and grown, but there will be that familiar feeling again when you see them.
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2011, 12:48:44 am »

I had completely forgot about the Camelot until you said that. Wow.
dbacks fan
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2011, 12:58:23 am »

I had completely forgot about the Camelot until you said that. Wow.

I graduated from Nathan Hale in 1981, and that is where we had our Prom and our senior breakfast, and my family drove past it countless times going to visit family in Edmond, or when my dad was involved in Pony/Colt Baseball at Reed Park, not to mention the years of cruising Brookside from the time I was 13 until cruising ws shut down in the early 80's. I still have people to this day ask me about Camelot since it had a brief scene in "Tex". I've also been asked about The Outsiders, Rumble Fish, and UHF. It's kind of wierd being asked about movies shot in Tulsa out here.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2011, 01:17:18 am »

That scene in Tex where he stops and uses the pay phone with the Camalot in the background?

That was a prop pay phone. I went there after I saw the movie and tried to get my picture taken at the exact spot before I realized there was no phone there.

Power is nothing till you use it.
dbacks fan
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2011, 01:35:00 am »

That scene in Tex where he stops and uses the pay phone with the Camalot in the background?

That was a prop pay phone. I went there after I saw the movie and tried to get my picture taken at the exact spot before I realized there was no phone there.

Yes, that's the spot. But I think I may have the tri-fecta on this. As I said about my class of 81 from Hale and Prom, my brother played hockey with Ming Char, whose parents owned the Pagoda restaraunt on that corner of the Bel-Aire Shopping Center, and I drove past the scene while they were shooting it to visit a friend who was managing the Jet Self Serve gas station just north of the scene, and we wondered what the smoke was from, when it turned out to be from the lighting equipment.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2011, 08:30:19 am »

Wait till you drive down Memorial south of the Creek Turnpike.   That change is unbelieveable.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2011, 09:05:40 am »

Yes, that's the spot. But I think I may have the tri-fecta on this. As I said about my class of 81 from Hale and Prom, my brother played hockey with Ming Char, whose parents owned the Pagoda restaraunt on that corner of the Bel-Aire Shopping Center, and I drove past the scene while they were shooting it to visit a friend who was managing the Jet Self Serve gas station just north of the scene, and we wondered what the smoke was from, when it turned out to be from the lighting equipment.

The Pagoda was owned by Virginia Torres and her husband. She was the music teacher at Eliot Elementary for years.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2011, 02:01:16 pm »

So it's looking like the gas station on the NE corner of 15th and Utica is closed again.

Anyone know it there are plans for the property?

I was also wondering about the old station on 15th West of the BA highway entance.  It looks like the underground tanks were removed.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2011, 02:13:01 pm »

So it's looking like the gas station on the NE corner of 15th and Utica is closed again.

Anyone know it there are plans for the property?

I was also wondering about the old station on 15th West of the BA highway entance.  It looks like the underground tanks were removed.

I don't know of any plans but it would make more sense to have the NE corner be a functional gas station and the NW corner part of the proposed medical office complex Bumgarner plans to build just to the north along Utica.  I asked someone who knows Bumgarner once what he had planned for that site and he said mixed-use/office, similar to how Utica Place and Plaza are a mix of offices and residences.  Something similar would be perfect for that NW corner of 15th & Utica with condos/apartments in a building there and a medical office building at the SW corner of 14th & Utica connected by an underground parking garage and courtyard, with townhomes facing Troost to the west.  Bumgarner already developed the SW corner (Stillwater Nat'l Bank) and SE corner (Arvest) of 15th & Utica..

dbacks fan
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2011, 06:45:43 pm »

For ZYX and SXSW here are some pics of new buildings in the Tempe, Downtown Phoenix and Biltmore areas that fit the description of what you are talking about for the old H&P lot.

Tempe

Tempe

Tempe
dbacks fan
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2011, 06:47:43 pm »

Downtown Phoenix

Near downtwon Phoenix

Downton Phoenix
dbacks fan
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2011, 06:48:52 pm »

And the Biltmore area

ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2011, 07:54:55 pm »

Yeah, I really like all of those, except for the first one. My favorite was the last one though.

Thanks for posting.

Red one...my bad.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 10:10:26 pm by ZYX » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 50   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org