A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 01:50:09 pm
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downtown development recap  (Read 163644 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #165 on: January 11, 2012, 12:03:59 pm »

Is this just rumor or are their actually plans to bulldoze Greenwood?

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-727386

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #166 on: January 11, 2012, 12:09:57 pm »

Anyone got a smartassed comment to do this justice?  I'm empty.

What?! I have a preference for real life. Doing research with real print vehicles, with fragile hard bindings, that exude the smell of decaying 100 year old paper and ink while listening to nearby recovering alcoholics snore peacefully? Can't beat it.

onward...through the fog
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #167 on: January 11, 2012, 12:34:07 pm »

Is this just rumor or are their actually plans to bulldoze Greenwood?

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-727386

I hope that article is part of an effort to revitalize the use of those facilities and mobilize lethargic support for them. I can't imagine losing the Greenwood Cultural Center. The parks though, are always at risk and so it is distressing that they would frame this as a North-South issue. McClure is not really a south park. It sits north of 11th near Memorial. I don't call that South. The Newblock pool on Charles Page just west of downtown is also dormant as well as many others around town. Its hard for public officials to justify public funding for unused facilities.

But most distressing, and indicative of racial ignorance at the state capitol, is the remark made by a Republican legislator about funding opening up if they would simply drop the word "Greenwood" from the name of the center.

onward...through the fog
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #168 on: January 11, 2012, 02:39:31 pm »

I hope that article is part of an effort to revitalize the use of those facilities and mobilize lethargic support for them. I can't imagine losing the Greenwood Cultural Center. The parks though, are always at risk and so it is distressing that they would frame this as a North-South issue. McClure is not really a south park. It sits north of 11th near Memorial. I don't call that South. The Newblock pool on Charles Page just west of downtown is also dormant as well as many others around town. Its hard for public officials to justify public funding for unused facilities.

But most distressing, and indicative of racial ignorance at the state capitol, is the remark made by a Republican legislator about funding opening up if they would simply drop the word "Greenwood" from the name of the center.

For the record, here is the quote from the story:  "one state senator declared that if the center would omit Greenwood from its name and replace it with Tulsa Art Center, possible funding could be obtained".   Note that no party affiliation is given.

Are there really any plans to buldoze the Greenwood Culltural Center?  Seems unlikely.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #169 on: January 11, 2012, 06:14:27 pm »

For the record, here is the quote from the story:  "one state senator declared that if the center would omit Greenwood from its name and replace it with Tulsa Art Center, possible funding could be obtained".   Note that no party affiliation is given.

Are there really any plans to buldoze the Greenwood Culltural Center?  Seems unlikely.

Good catch. They trashed the republicans and conservatives so well I simply filled in the blank.

Who exactly would be bulldozing the place and for what benefit? Seems the PR would be enough to turn it into something useful.

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #170 on: January 11, 2012, 07:20:16 pm »

Anyone got a smartassed comment to do this justice?  I'm empty.

Nothing at all.  Maybe 'cause I happen to agree with AquaMan...real is always better than virtual.

Have long wanted an electronic reader to make reading easier on business trips - few things as boring as sitting in an airport for 6 hours waiting for a flight (except if there is a good bar nearby!).  Even started a couple times to design/build my own.  But now I find that even at prices under $100, I still haven't bought one.  Go figure.  Would probably just fill it up with Gutenberg project works anyway...and then I would just have to read culturally significant works that might actually benefit my intellect in some way.  Can't have any of that - as I get older and more inflexible in my attitudes, I may want to be a Republican some day!!  Especially if I ever get to the 1%er status!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #171 on: January 11, 2012, 08:53:19 pm »

as I get older and more inflexible in my attitudes, I may want to be a Republican some day!! 

Older, yes.  More inflexible, yes.  Republican, you?.  I don't think so.

I expect you intend that being older and more inflexible makes you prime material for being a Republican but you are wrong.  Old, cantankerous Democrats just get older and more cantankerous.  They don't change parties.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #172 on: January 11, 2012, 08:58:05 pm »

Older, yes.  More inflexible, yes.  Republican, you?.  I don't think so.

I expect you intend that being older and more inflexible makes you prime material for being a Republican but you are wrong.  Old, cantankerous Democrats just get older and more cantankerous.  They don't change parties.

I've seen it happen time and time again!  Alzheimer's is insidious, merciless and the number one growth factor for the Republicontin party...

I am too much a Libertarian to be Republicontin, though.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #173 on: January 11, 2012, 09:26:29 pm »

I've seen it happen time and time again!  Alzheimer's is insidious, merciless and the number one growth factor for the Republicontin Democratic party...
I am too much a Libertarian messed up in the head to be Republicontian, though.

You had to know I would make the necessary corrections.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #174 on: January 11, 2012, 09:54:03 pm »

You had to know I would make the necessary corrections.

See what I mean - it's already starting to affect you....

Gotta through you a bone once in a while to let you at least make an attempt.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #175 on: January 11, 2012, 10:16:55 pm »

See what I mean - it's already starting to affect you....
Gotta through throw you a bone once in a while to let you at least make an attempt.

Nice try.  No cigar though.

Your oldtimers disease is already affecting your spelling too.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #176 on: January 11, 2012, 10:22:22 pm »

Nice try.  No cigar though.

Your oldtimers disease is already affecting your spelling too.

See...what did I tell you...

It affects us all.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #177 on: January 11, 2012, 10:35:34 pm »

See...what did I tell you...
It affects us all.

One trip through the line was enough for me.

You got in line for seconds though.

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #178 on: January 12, 2012, 12:05:09 am »

Whoever steps in to resurrect the Greenwood Cultural Center will get naming rights....it's just the way it works.
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #179 on: January 12, 2012, 01:42:32 am »

Would probably just fill it up with Gutenberg project works anyway...

My ibooks on my phone already is.

...and then I would just have to read culturally significant works that might actually benefit my intellect in some way.  Can't have any of that - as I get older and more inflexible in my attitudes, I may want to be a Republican some day!!  Especially if I ever get to the 1%er status!!

p.s.: you and I should be best friends based on this post alone.

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org