A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 01:22:55 pm
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downtown development recap  (Read 163643 times)
rdj
City Father

« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2011, 06:07:43 pm »

Was it the building in between two existing surface lots?

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2011, 08:17:38 pm »

Yes. I saw on my way home on Friday, too.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2011, 07:46:08 am »

Yes, but now we have a whole series of parking lots there now rather than having them akwardly split up with pesky buildings.   

I don't know if this is TCC doing this, but if this is how they are going to expand downtown, perhaps we don't want them there.  They aren't thinking, "How can we be good urban citizens/partners/neighbors, fit in with an urban setting and improve downtown as an urban setting and encourage mass transit or walking",,, they are thinking, well I don't know what it is they are thinking really.

When you have a good urban landscape, people don't mind walking a bit, they actually enjoy it.  There is plenty of parking that could have been shared with say Boston Ave on the periphery of downtown for instance.  Students could park there on week days and have walked past interesting buildings with shops and things in them.  Can't now of course because TCC ripped everything out.  Could have helped spur more and better mass transit use in downtown, which the city apparently wants to do, but what TCC is doing actually hurts that, at least in that part of downtown.  The one, sort of positive, I can see is that the TCC/Church parking lots become first stage park-n-ride for areas like the Blue Dome and Brady Arts, but even then those areas will hopefully be served by the rail going to the west bank and even OSU Tulsa.

We have got to get people thinking... you park outside of downtown and ride in on bus or rail.  Otherwise we will end up with a "fake" downtown with fake, superficial density that wont make our transit cost effective and our urban environment real and truly desirable and enjoyable.  We are a small, slow growing city that can't rely on rapid growth, possibly, maybe, getting our downtown to work out right.  We will have to be smart about it and THINK it through a little bit.  If we do, that can be our ticket to evolving into a real, undiscovered, very desirable, urban gem that people will flock to.     

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
rdj
City Father

« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2011, 09:09:22 am »

I know TCC gets a bad rap (and typically its deserved) but the Center For Creativity is a great space.  It's very urban and well designed to take advantage the site.  We just need them to do more of that.  Tuls is lucky to have two colleges with such proximity to the core.  Shame on us for not capitalizing on it.

On the flip side, the churches that surround TCC are somewhat of a barrier to private investment.  The IDL and their reluctance to develop UCAT land keep private capital from making OSU better.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Artiem
Citizen

« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2011, 09:33:30 am »

Any word on who designed this?  I am also curious to know what they are thinking design/artistically wise.  I hate to pile on here and have us sound like a TW or News Channel "pick a number" comment section, but I personally am not really getting it.

Hi all new to forum...

The land belongs to the parking authority. They did have final say on okaying the project. Rotarians say they came up with the design and turned to local artists (O'Meilia and Nunnely) to capture their four main goals in bronze, plus design the globe. They're thrilled with the location because it's central -- and this is the first real "brick and mortar" project the Rotary's done... their fervent hope is it will prompt the city to clean up the Williams Green and get the fountain working, etc. http://www.krmg.com/news/news/local/new-1-million-project-wont-use-tax-money/nDKWc/

Artiem

<i>"We're upping our standards, so up yours!"</i>
--Pat Paulsen
Presidential candidate, 1968
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2011, 09:35:42 am »

Hi all new to forum...

The land belongs to the parking authority. They did have final say on okaying the project. Rotarians say they came up with the design and turned to local artists (O'Meilia and Nunnely) to capture their four main goals in bronze, plus design the globe. They're thrilled with the location because it's central -- and this is the first real "brick and mortar" project the Rotary's done... their fervent hope is it will prompt the city to clean up the Williams Green and get the fountain working, etc. http://www.krmg.com/news/news/local/new-1-million-project-wont-use-tax-money/nDKWc/

Welcome, Artiem, and thanks for the info!
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2011, 09:53:46 am »

Yes, but now we have a whole series of parking lots there now rather than having them akwardly split up with pesky buildings.   

Maybe (the infamous) "they" are trying to emulate nearby geography... the Great Plains.

Grin

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2011, 10:30:54 am »

I know TCC gets a bad rap (and typically its deserved) but the Center For Creativity is a great space.  It's very urban and well designed to take advantage the site.  We just need them to do more of that.  Tuls is lucky to have two colleges with such proximity to the core.  Shame on us for not capitalizing on it.

On the flip side, the churches that surround TCC are somewhat of a barrier to private investment.  The IDL and their reluctance to develop UCAT land keep private capital from making OSU better.

Which is why I think OSU should buy up the property north of TCC from Boulder to Detroit south of 8th and build up its campus there partnering with TCC and sharing facilities.  TCC then would be able to expand to the south and east.  All higher education downtown would be in one location and numerous surface lots would be developed.  Once the move is complete the Greenwood campus could then be converted into a research center for OSU.

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2011, 12:14:41 pm »

I like OSU Tulsa's location. It has alot of potential.  I only wish they had moved the medical school to that campus instead of expanding the campus on Southwest Boulevard.
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2011, 04:14:19 pm »

I like OSU Tulsa's location. It has alot of potential.

I agree, there are already buses between the campuses, making it a bit more walk-able between them would enrich the connection. We can also hope as TCC expands downtown that they work with OSU, and TU to expand classes and degree offering that mesh with those colleges.

It would be nice to see a parking garage directly across 10th with first story retail (Coffee shop, deli or something.) Then the lots on either side of the parking garage turned into green space and saved for long term development of the campus, more green space on the lot on Cincinnati across from the campus (if they own it, if not donated to the school.) Finally  the lot around the arts center turned into more classroom space.

The majority of the other lots should be sold off to fund the parking garage and other improvements. Maybe the lot behind the Parking Garage could become apartments with discounts to students in TCC or OSU Tulsa. Maybe keep the lots to the north of the campus for future development.

Thank you,
Robert Town
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2011, 09:13:29 pm »

I don't know if this is TCC doing this, but if this is how they are going to expand downtown, perhaps we don't want them there.  They aren't thinking, "How can we be good urban citizens/partners/neighbors, fit in with an urban setting and improve downtown as an urban setting and encourage mass transit or walking",,, they are thinking, well I don't know what it is they are thinking really.

They are thinking they need parking and parking garages cost about 12x what a surface lot does.

TCC wants a parking garage, but no-one is donating the dough to pay for it.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2011, 09:16:35 pm »

They are thinking they need parking and parking garages cost about 12x what a surface lot does.

Raise the tax rate on surface parking to make parking garages more competitive.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2011, 06:21:49 am »

But aren't they a university?  You know, a place where your supposed to learn and or know things?  Like the difference between urban and suburban?  Aka, urban, lots of density and buildings, you use transit and walk,,, suburban, very little density, lots of parking.  I know they teach remedial courses there but zeesh, surely the "descision makers" at least know where they are? lol 

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2011, 10:55:14 am »

But aren't they a university?  You know, a place where your supposed to learn and or know things?  Like the difference between urban and suburban?  Aka, urban, lots of density and buildings, you use transit and walk,,, suburban, very little density, lots of parking.  I know they teach remedial courses there but zeesh, surely the "descision makers" at least know where they are? lol 

again, they know. It's purely financial.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2011, 11:19:47 am »

again, they know. It's purely financial.

So its confirmed that this will be a surface parking lot? Arrrgh.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org