A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:37:55 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crosswalk timers  (Read 27668 times)
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 01:51:47 am »

I just don't understand the need for crosswalk signals downtown, except between 5 and 6.  With the ultra wide roads meant to drain the area as quickly as possible, I spend more time waiting, watching an empty street, than is given for a time to cross. 
Agreed. It's usually just as easy or easier just to wait for the two cars to go once the light turns green and cross against the signal. Of course, the fact that seemingly 50% of people driving downtown are lost makes it more difficult. There's always some moron stopping in the middle of the road for no reason, stopping on green, going the wrong way on a one-way, turning from a lane three lanes from the turn lane, etc.

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 07:47:03 am »

My pet peeve:
Driver's that don't know you can turn left on red.

From the Oklahoma Driver's Manual
Page 5-11
Red Light:  After coming to a complete stop, you may turn right on red and you
may turn left from a one-way street into a one-way
street unless there
are signs forbidding the turn. When you turn, you must yield to all
pedestrians and vehicles using the intersection, including bicycles.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 08:48:49 am »

I've wondered about the left onto a one-way from a one-way.  I've asked cops, but never got an answer.  Good to know I wasn't risking a ticket all this time.  Guess the laws are logical sometimes.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 09:17:26 am »

My pet peeve:

Page 5-11
street unless there

Hey, thanks for that.  I never looked it up and never got an absolute answer from anyone.

I've been your pet peeve because I'd sit there looking for cops and asking everyone in my car if they knew.

You've brightened my day.

Thanks day brightener.  Smiley face placed in theis general area.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 04:28:16 pm »

Hey, thanks for that.  I never looked it up and never got an absolute answer from anyone.

I've been your pet peeve because I'd sit there looking for cops and asking everyone in my car if they knew.

You've brightened my day.

Thanks day brightener.  Smiley face placed in theis general area.
I tested it in front of a cop a time or two and never got stopped, so I stopped worrying about it, though I wasn't sure on the legality of it before. 
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 06:19:47 pm »

To everyone who did not know that:
Isn't that kind of like your responsibility to know the traffic laws before you take the test?  And if you took the test before the law was changed, isn't it still kind of like your responsibility to be aware of the laws to enjoy the privilege of driving?

Consider yourself chastised if you resemble that remark!

Now, what about U-turns??

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 06:25:06 pm »

Isn't that kind of like your responsibility to know the traffic laws before you take the test?  And if you took the test before the law was changed, isn't it still kind of like your responsibility to be aware of the laws to enjoy the privilege of driving?

Never covered that one in drivers ed.  Never read the code from one end to the other either. 

U-turns are legal unless otherwise posted.  Changed some years ago.  Still waiting for that U-Turn signal to be installed in cars
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 06:30:09 pm »

Isn't that kind of like your responsibility to know the traffic laws before you take the test?  And if you took the test before the law was changed, isn't it still kind of like your responsibility to be aware of the laws to enjoy the privilege of driving?

17 foot medians are required to make them legal..least last I checked that was the requirement.  I think only one road in town that qualifies, and that's 11th between Sheridan and Mingo.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2011, 08:19:09 pm »

Google "Oklahoma Driver Manual" and you get the pdf file as the first item.

Good reading if you are having trouble going to sleep.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
dbacks fan
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 07:01:38 am »

17 foot medians are required to make them legal..least last I checked that was the requirement.  I think only one road in town that qualifies, and that's 11th between Sheridan and Mingo.

I think you are correct becaues on that stretch of 11th street you are pretty much making two left turns. I know that when I lived there the biggest problem for u-turns, aside from being illegal then, was alot of the streets weren't wide enough to complete the u-turn properly.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 09:09:41 am »

I think you are correct becaues on that stretch of 11th street you are pretty much making two left turns. I know that when I lived there the biggest problem for u-turns, aside from being illegal then, was alot of the streets weren't wide enough to complete the u-turn properly.

I was 'perusing' through the traffic code yesterday, and while it doesn't come right out and say it, it makes it murky as to what is legal or not legal as it pertains to u-turns.

SECTION 628.         U-TURNS
A.        No driver of a vehicle shall execute a U-turn unless such movement can be
made in safety and without interfering with other traffic. The driver of a vehicle intending
to make a U-turn shall approach the U-turn in the extreme left-hand traffic lane lawfully
available to traffic moving in the direction of travel of such vehicle.
B.         No driver of a vehicle shall execute a U-turn unless such movement can be
made continuously without stopping and backing.
C.        No driver of a vehicle shall execute a U-turn upon any curve, or upon the
approach to or near the crest of a grade, where such vehicle cannot be seen by the driver
of any other vehicle approaching from either direction within five hundred (500) feet.
D.        No driver of a vehicle shall execute a U-turn within an intersection controlled
by an official traffic-control signal light device.

So it appears to be subject to interpretation.  As for the 17 foot median rule, which does not appear to be in the code, I thought I read a quote from a TPD officer about the time I moved back to town when there was some talk of reforming the code.  My memory serves me as him stating the only section of road qualifying for safe uturns was that section I mentioned.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
dbacks fan
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 09:26:23 am »

I was 'perusing' through the traffic code yesterday, and while it doesn't come right out and say it, it makes it murky as to what is legal or not legal as it pertains to u-turns.

So it appears to be subject to interpretation.  As for the 17 foot median rule, which does not appear to be in the code, I thought I read a quote from a TPD officer about the time I moved back to town when there was some talk of reforming the code.  My memory serves me as him stating the only section of road qualifying for safe uturns was that section I mentioned.

I would probably get a ticket for one if I moved back. In AZ, and I will have to double check to make sure I'm correct, unless it's marked "No U-Turn" you can make one just about anywhere.
dbacks fan
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 09:28:42 am »

Found it:

"A person shall not turn a vehicle to proceed in the opposite direction on a curve or on the approach to or near the crest of a grade if the vehicle cannot be seen by the driver of any other vehicle approaching from either direction within five hundred feet. "

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/00752.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 11:18:40 am »

My pet peeve:

Page 5-11
street unless there

I can't stand the arrogant bastards who block at an intersection without turn lanes like 21st & Peoria with their left turn signal on right under the "no left turn sign".

Why is it some people think traffic laws only apply to everyone else or that signs are merely suggestions?  Grrrrr!

I've really had it with the lane crowders in the IDL where traffic is merging for the current BA bridge projects heading eastbound.  Everyone crams as far up the line as they can to get in to the single lane and it creates a huge mess.  If everyone would simply merge further back, traffic would flow a lot better.  Last Friday, I watched a woman in a BMW SUV stay glued to the bumper on the car in front of her intent on not letting anyone else in.  Finally one of the lane chargers tried to cut in on her, succeeded in doing it, then the BMW driver went to the left shoulder and tried to cut in again on the person who had just cut in.  The other driver escaped to the IDL northbound, I honked and saluted the biznitch in the Bimmer.

Sorry for the hi-jack

/rant

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011, 11:43:39 am »

I got pulled over for a U-turn at the intersection at the stop sign at OSU-Tulsa. I can't really see where that's illegal under those laws the "official traffic-control signal light device" referenced in the law seems to be an extremely wordy way of saying stoplight. There was no other traffic at the intersection. I have a small car, so I was able to complete the u-turn in one movement.

I just got a warning anyway.

As for those 'no left turn' signs, as someone who does most of his driving at off hours, it irritates the piss out of me that I can't turn left at those intersections at off-peak hours. There's no valid reason to ban left turns at 11pm, other than giving cops more reasons to pull people over.

They have lots of 'no left turn' signs around town that are only in effect during certain hours. There shouldn't be any 24/7 no left turn signs.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org