A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:22:13 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone know how long it should take to widen 1 mile of road?  (Read 3273 times)
Mike 01Hawk
Civic Leader

Peace be with you

« on: January 18, 2011, 04:32:06 pm »

101st , east side of BA has been under construction for what, 6+ months now?

It's not like BA doesn't have any funds, I see the po-po monitor the place a lot pulling people over.

And what cracks me up is they'll go days w/o doing any work to all of a sudden doing work on a Saturday.  
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 04:54:00 pm »

101st , east side of BA has been under construction for what, 6+ months now?

It's not like BA doesn't have any funds, I see the po-po monitor the place a lot pulling people over.

And what cracks me up is they'll go days w/o doing any work to all of a sudden doing work on a Saturday.  

There are a number of reasons they may be taking some time.

Some road companies tend to send their crews to a place where they will make the most money off of an early completion bonus.  Once the bonus is made, they may transfer those crews to another work site to complete the work you're waiting on.

If they are late completing that work and are fined for it they will file a grievance stating unmarked phone/water lines...a la south of 81st and Harvard a few years ago.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 05:23:02 pm »

Relocating Utilities.....

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 05:31:49 pm »

Think of the subterranean infrastructure like storm drains and the foundation holding the road up.  Add in the utilities, sidewalks, curbs, above ground utilities like light poles and power poles, as well as the control circuitry for signals, and it can take a long time to get it all coordinated.  Then there are right-of-way issues if the roadway encroaches on state, federal, or tribal land.  Getting permits from all the relevant agencies can take forever.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Mike 01Hawk
Civic Leader

Peace be with you

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 06:41:40 pm »

That's the thing, it seems like it's been stuck in this one phase for months now.

Guess I'm just peeved that it's rare for me to travel to my places around town without running into an orange barrel somewhere.  Grumble.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 06:46:09 pm »

That's the thing, it seems like it's been stuck in this one phase for months now.

Guess I'm just peeved that it's rare for me to travel to my places around town without running into an orange barrel somewhere.  Grumble.
Anyone remember the recently completed intersection widening at 91st & Sheridan? That nightmare lasted freakin forever. There would be days when no one was out there. When I saw workers standing around, or laughing, or generally slacking off, I would make sure they knew I wasn't happy (not that they would care).

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 06:47:13 pm »

Think of the subterranean infrastructure like storm drains and the foundation holding the road up.  Add in the utilities, sidewalks, curbs, above ground utilities like light poles and power poles, as well as the control circuitry for signals, and it can take a long time to get it all coordinated.  Then there are right-of-way issues if the roadway encroaches on state, federal, or tribal land.  Getting permits from all the relevant agencies can take forever.

That's what companies like Benham are paid a bunch of money for: to make sure that's all taken care of an coordinated prior to the dirt being busted.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 07:35:23 pm »

Kind of a shame it doesn't happen that way.

About 2 1/2 more years (in answer to the question).

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 10:49:39 am »

Several years back. I lived off of 145th E Av between 91st and 101st here in B.A.
Construction started and after 6 to 8 Months of tearing up the old road and re-directing the traffic in curved directions. Construction stopped.
About 6 Months went by with no word about why. It was finally released to the public that the Company doing the work had done the work improperly so the contract had been taken away from them. Several more Months passed by before the contract was awarded to a new Company.
The new Company took at least another year re-doing what the first Construction Company had screwed up.
And of course I moved from that area to the East of town about 3 Months after it was compleated so I have not gotten to enjoy to the fullest all the pain in the a** that stretch of mile played in my life.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 12:49:33 pm »

And it's a nice section of road now - I drive that way every once in a while.  Must not be enough Rhema people or First Baptist people living down that way to make it happen in a timely fashion.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org