A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:01:01 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American Parking Doubling Fees?  (Read 5971 times)
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 03:35:21 pm »

Too bad we won't put a serious effort into a well developed mass transit system.  Our buses are ok as far as they go - there just isn't enough of it.

Have you been on our busses lately?  While some are okay, others are down right falling apart.  And as stated before, their routes are all kinds of messed up.  It should never take two hours to cross a city the size of Tulsa, never.  Yet it has taken me that long before because of the crappy scheduling of the busses.  I'm glad I have a vehicle again and don't have to worry about that anymore.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 08:13:06 pm »

Early last spring was the last time.  Last fall before that.  They do wear down fast, don't they.  Two hours is a symptom of the problem.  Would take a ton of extra money and huge expansion of the system.  And nobody wants the taxes to go up to pay for that.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 03:39:46 pm »

In my case, the bus system was an incentive to get another car, while it should be the other way around.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 03:47:53 pm »

The more I visit Dallas the more I wonder if it's even worthwhile to invest in transit a whole lot more than we already have. I want to use transit in that city, but every time I do, it involves a half mile or a mile of walking through parking lots, on narrow sidewalks next to high-speed roads, across giant intersections where turning motorists don't yield to pedestrians crossing legally, etc, etc.

I have no problem walking a mile or two in downtown/midtown Tulsa. There are quiet streets and ways to avoid feeling like a target for bad drivers. But when you get out in the sprawl of Tulsa or Dallas, walking a half mile becomes hellish. And that'd be the norm if you wanted to get anywhere via transit.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 04:16:07 pm »

I have read that studies for transit companies indicate that most people are willing to walk about 1/4 mile to a transit stop.  That also somewhat defines the density required for urban transit.  Other types like the New Mexico Railrunner have park and ride lots.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org