A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:52:55 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa's Economic "Core"  (Read 15887 times)
rebound
City Father

« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2014, 11:10:56 am »

The Fallin administration has done alot to bring in many different kinds of business to our state  so that Oklahoma is not a one industry  state anymoe. Tulsa's  old economic core of oil could be getting a big shot in the arm with the new republican senate, they have plans to bring in the Keystone Pipeline, many democrats in the senate also favor the Keystone Pipeline because of the jobs it will make, plus study after study showed that the Keystone will not harm a thing. The republican Senate (without Harry Reid blocking it anymore) will now have the votes to over-ride an Obama veto. I wonder if this election has anything to do with the big fall in oil prices, Texas has gasoline selling for $2.41 a gallon. The economy is looking good for Tulsa and the state.

Must.  Not.  Reply.  ...  Aurgh!

I can handle an opinion that doesn't make sense, but I can't handle blatant faulty logic.  Your other post, about this election having been a referendum on Obama?  Fair enough, and probably to a great degree true. (whether that emotion was/is valid or not is debatable, but it definitely was there.)  The piece above about the Keystone pipeline and the Senate being able to override?  I doubt it, but OK for now.  But this makes no sense:

I wonder if this election has anything to do with the big fall in oil prices, Texas has gasoline selling for $2.41 a gallon. The economy is looking good for Tulsa and the state.

If people actually paid attention to the numbers, including oil prices, the election would not have gone the way it did.  Obama has been president for six years, and we get a big fall in oil prices.  The Pres (right or wrong) gets blame or credit for the economy and all things associated.  Obama should be reveling in this drop in oil prices and taking credit, and in most cases he'd be rockin' just on that issue alone.  Also, the fall in oil prices illustrated (at least in theory) a drop in demand for gas.  This drop in demand would argue against further pipeline development, as obviously it's not needed if prices are dropping.

This election was about emotion, not logic.  But to some degree, aren't they all?

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2014, 11:44:54 am »

The Fallin administration has done alot to bring in many different kinds of business to our state  so that Oklahoma is not a one industry  state anymoe. Tulsa's  old economic core of oil could be getting a big shot in the arm with the new republican senate, they have plans to bring in the Keystone Pipeline, many democrats in the senate also favor the Keystone Pipeline because of the jobs it will make, plus study after study showed that the Keystone will not harm a thing. The republican Senate (without Harry Reid blocking it anymore) will now have the votes to over-ride an Obama veto. I wonder if this election has anything to do with the big fall in oil prices, Texas has gasoline selling for $2.41 a gallon. The economy is looking good for Tulsa and the state.

The reason Oklahoma is doing well, and always has done well IS one industry - petroleum.  So yes, we are for the most part still a "one industry" state - with a large side dish of agriculture.  If oil were to go away, the state would be in major trauma - life support type trauma.

Reality moment for sauer;

The drop in price of oil is obviously due to Obama's policies and show just how truly excellent they have been for the nation!!  

Now for some real reality for the rest of the world;
I have a suspicion that there have been background efforts by the various powers that be with vested interest in the situation to make the price go down as part of the pressure on Russia to stand down from Ukraine.  I read that it takes an oil price of somewhere near $105 a barrel for them to support the kind of activities they have been indulging in the area.  At $80, notice how Russia ordered all their troops back to barracks that were on Ukraine border??  This happened a few weeks ago.

And I also read Saudi raised production about that time by about another million barrels a day.... they literally DO have the 'pumping power' to ensure this type of swing....

Pretty good strategic move - if it was a conscious effort....

Good thing we have Obama to understand the world political scene and work diligently to use all the tools available to help what was becoming a very ugly situation!!  Isn't it, sauer...??

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
davideinstein
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2014, 03:57:56 pm »

The only dangerous part of the hill on Yale between 81st and 91st is where you have three or four lanes merging into one. For $31M you could have 238 miles of protected bike lanes. You tell me which of these two options makes a city more attractive to live in...
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2014, 04:25:58 pm »

The only dangerous part of the hill on Yale between 81st and 91st is where you have three or four lanes merging into one. For $31M you could have 238 miles of protected bike lanes. You tell me which of these two options makes a city more attractive to live in...

238 miles of protected bike lanes doesn't provide a big construction job for some company that most likely has someone's ear.

It wouldn't provide easier access to the retail centers on either side of the hill.

It wouldn't open Yale up to what will most likely become a 4 to 6 lane access from 101st and Yale heading North to Tulsa.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2014, 05:36:11 pm »

It wouldn't provide easier access to the retail centers on either side of the hill.

If you can't find what you want at Fresh Market, you can (more easily) pop over the hill and go to Whole Paycheck.  Or vs.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2014, 10:07:25 am »

If you can't find what you want at Fresh Market, you can (more easily) pop over the hill and go to Whole Paycheck.  Or vs.

On the bike lane?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2014, 10:34:03 am »

On the bike lane?

Oops.  On the widened car lanes over the hill.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org