A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:25:51 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trader Joe's  (Read 89793 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2014, 09:51:51 pm »

From LostTulsa:
I've heard that this group of buildings, including Brookside Pottery, will be demolished for the new Trader Joe's that's coming to Brookside. Anyone have any more info?

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2014, 11:12:04 pm »

I I think that whole strip center on Brookside is going by bye.....

hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2014, 08:16:59 am »

How about lets not demolish buildings and instead put that Trader Joe's Downtown where it is really needed?

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2014, 09:49:26 am »

How about lets not demolish buildings and instead put that Trader Joe's Downtown where it is really needed?

Downtown? Smh

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2014, 10:08:48 am »

Will definitely knock out any chance of that part of Brookside from ever linking to the north side or itself becoming more pedestrian friendly.  I doubt that they will make this a pedestrian friendly Trader Joe's.  Would love to be proved wrong though.  The "feeling" of Brookside could be drastically changed if this is a store with a parking lot in front.  There are already large gaps in this  area and adding another quite large one could make more of an impact than you might think at first.  

It's interesting to watch the northern end of Brookside improve, but I wonder how this whole area will fare if it becomes the only pedestrian friendly segment and the rest becomes suburban parking lots?  They may "kill the goose that laid the golden egg" so to speak.  On the one hand I hope to see Brookside continue to do better, but on the other, if it does "crap out" on itself. Fine with me it will be their choice, only makes Downtown, where my business is, all the more attractive.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 10:35:38 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2014, 10:17:03 am »

Will definitely knock out any chance of that part of Brookside from ever linking to the north side or itself becoming more pedestrian friendly.  I doubt that they will make this a pedestrian friendly Trader Joe's.  Would love to be proved wrong though.

I've only ever seen suburban Trader Joe's stores. Are there more urban examples?
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2014, 10:36:13 am »

I've only ever seen suburban Trader Joe's stores. Are there more urban examples?

There are some. Denver has a few. However, the majority of them are more suburban in format.

How legitimate is it that this is going to be a Trader Joe's? Looking at the County Assessor site I just don't see them owning enough land to build a Trader Joe's and have enough parking to satisfy the city unless they are planning underground parking or going to apply for a variance.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2014, 10:44:32 am »

About 6-7 years ago, I was asked to do a high-resolution rendering of what this development could look like.  Worked with a smart young architect who generated some really nice ideas. This was the result. I have no clue if this is what will materialize, but I think it's quite nice.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2014, 10:59:44 am »

About 6-7 years ago, I was asked to do a high-resolution rendering of what this development could look like.  Worked with a smart young architect who generated some really nice ideas. This was the result. I have no clue if this is what will materialize, but I think it's quite nice.

Is that actually multiple stores or is it a facade (like some of the WalMarts) for a single store?  It certainly looks nicer than Big Box.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2014, 11:10:40 am »

Is that actually multiple stores or is it a facade (like some of the WalMarts) for a single store?  It certainly looks nicer than Big Box.

Don't remember.  I think it was one central entity with the option of a restaurant on one or both ends.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2014, 11:13:49 am »

We stopped at the Trader Joe’s in Santa Fe a few months ago.  MC and I really didn’t get what the big deal is other than the “Three Buck Chuck” wine  which was great party favor wine, but nothing you’d want to drink with a good meal.

JMO, Brookside would be a lousy location for them with Whole Paycheck, Reasor’s, and Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market all within that mile of road.  We wouldn’t bother shopping there, far too many options between our house and there with nothing that compelling.  They won’t be able to sell their wine in-store which is one of their niches.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2014, 11:18:23 am »

That would be fantastic if that was anything like what the project would be like.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2014, 11:19:54 am »

It appears that TJ can adapt to urban settings.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=trader+joe%27s+manhattan&gbv=2&oq=trader+joe%27s+manhattan&gs_l=heirloom-hp.3..0l3.1390.9976.0.12003.24.14.1.9.9.0.122.898.7j7.14.0....0...1ac.1.34.heirloom-hp..0.24.936.1bWCq0hlcTM

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2014, 11:23:31 am »

We stopped at the Trader Joe’s in Santa Fe a few months ago.  MC and I really didn’t get what the big deal is other than the “Three Buck Chuck” wine  which was great party favor wine, but nothing you’d want to drink with a good meal.

JMO, Brookside would be a lousy location for them with Whole Paycheck, Reasor’s, and Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market all within that mile of road.  We wouldn’t bother shopping there, far too many options between our house and there with nothing that compelling.  They won’t be able to sell their wine in-store which is one of their niches.

Actually 3 buck chuck (used to be 2 buck chuck) is some of the most surprising stuff you can buy.  Has won some serious awards.  I grab a case of the Cab and Shiraz every time I go.  Chardonnay is not bad either.

We used to be members of the Tulsa Wine club and when we had blind tastings, Mark would always throw in a 2 Buck to stir things up.  In many cases the 2 Buck won over $50-$100 dollar bottles of wine.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2014, 11:30:27 am »

Actually 3 buck chuck (used to be 2 buck chuck) is some of the most surprising stuff you can buy.  Has won some serious awards.  I grab a case of the Cab and Shiraz every time I go.  Chardonnay is not bad either.

We used to be members of the Tulsa Wine club and when we had blind tastings, Mark would always throw in a 2 Buck to stir things up.  In many cases the 2 Buck won over $50-$100 dollar bottles of wine.

Quite palatable, but just not something I’d grab to serve with some nice ribeyes.  It’s on par with the better box wines out there these days, which aren’t bad, but again not what I’d serve on special occasions or with a robust meal.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org