A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:05:30 pm
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) One Place Tower  (Read 248421 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #420 on: December 11, 2012, 09:03:15 am »

Particularly, until we have an ability to maintain them?  Only thing worse than seeing expensive trees planted downtown and then dying within a year due to lack of water is the tree being cut down and weeds filling the former tree bed.  The urban environment is very tough on trees and they must be maintained otherwise it looks worse than not having trees. 

Have the guy going around looking at all the inoperable parking machines drive around with a water truck.  At least he'd be productive.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #421 on: December 11, 2012, 12:50:33 pm »

Just don't carve out chunks of the sidewalk to plant trees. The sidewalks are already narrow enough, and closed/blocked with way too much regularity.

Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #422 on: December 11, 2012, 02:29:45 pm »

It's not so much that they are "offering" ground level retail, it's that they don't have any "street front" pedestrian friendly retail space.  

One can rightly say the building is ugly.  But imo, there is a factor in building design that is more important than what the building looks like above street level and that is, what the building looks like AT street level, and how it functions AT street level.  Both of these buildings not only ignore the pedestrian but act against the pedestrian and the Tulsa communities desires and efforts to make the city more pedestrian and transit friendly.  I still hope that the next phases of the development are better in this respect for those street fronts are more important.

You say it's the cities responsibility to put trees in an urban area like this,  who, do you believe, is responsible for ensuring that we have streets/sidewalks in an urban area that are pedestrian friendly, and thus transit that can work efficiently and affordably?

When nobody wants to walk down a sidewalk, any transit you wan't to have in the area will not work efficiently and affordably.
If your a developer or business, or city/community, that wants to have urban, street front retail and a different developer comes in and builds something that hurts or negates those other developers, businesses etc. efforts and plans... who is to blame?

+1   Sadly, the later phases are slated to bring more of the same, at least according to their current renderings.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #423 on: December 12, 2012, 01:58:35 pm »

Looks like this is happening.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #424 on: December 12, 2012, 02:05:37 pm »

These are the first five of the donated 190 to be planted this year. These particular trees were being grown in a tree farm around 96th and Garnett and were donated by the Warren Foundation. They are much taller than the trees Up with Trees usually plants.

Downtown trees can be sponsored and commermorative plaques will be put in nearby to thank the donor. If I had any extra money, I would sponsor a tree or two downtown.

Power is nothing till you use it.
dioscorides
Civic Leader

« Reply #425 on: December 12, 2012, 02:14:51 pm »

These are the first five of the donated 190 to be planted this year. These particular trees were being grown in a tree farm around 96th and Garnett and were donated by the Warren Foundation. They are much taller than the trees Up with Trees usually plants.

Downtown trees can be sponsored and commermorative plaques will be put in nearby to thank the donor. If I had any extra money, I would sponsor a tree or two downtown.

do you have, or could you direct me to more information about this? i looked at the up with trees website, but didn't find any detailed information.  thanks!

There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says 'Good people drink good beer.' Which is true, then as now. Just look around you in any public barroom and you will quickly see: bad people drink bad beer. Think about it. - Hunter S. Thompson
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #426 on: December 12, 2012, 02:21:12 pm »

I talked to the Up with Trees Executive Director (I know her) and she said she will make sure and put the downtown tree adoption info on the website front page right away.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #427 on: December 12, 2012, 02:26:27 pm »

I talked to the Up with Trees Executive Director (I know her) and she said she will make sure and put the downtown tree adoption info on the website front page right away.

I heard a rumor you might more than just "know" her.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #428 on: December 12, 2012, 02:33:46 pm »

My stars
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #429 on: December 13, 2012, 08:02:04 am »

Perhaps "know" in the Biblical sense?  Wink

Is there a list of tree types that are and are not allowed to be planted in those spots downtown?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 08:03:35 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #430 on: December 13, 2012, 08:31:04 am »

The list changes from year to year. Last year's drought took a bunch of trees off the list.

Is there a particular tree that you are interested in? I keep a tree book in my car if you know the look but not the name.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #431 on: December 13, 2012, 11:31:11 am »

The list changes from year to year. Last year's drought took a bunch of trees off the list.

Is there a particular tree that you are interested in? I keep a tree book in my car if you know the look but not the name.

There is a spot in front of my new shop where tree might have been and I would like to put something there, but not same ol same ol.  I was thinking of a mimosa.  I know a lot of old timers don't like them, but I think they have a nice shape and look to them.  Beats the heck out of a Bradford Pear and they seem to do quite well in our area.  I think they would create a nice, unique look in some of the street medians or sidewalks where a medium sized tree would work because of the way the branches would flow up and outwards over the street and sidewalks. 

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #432 on: December 13, 2012, 11:59:35 am »

There is a spot in front of my new shop where tree might have been and I would like to put something there, but not same ol same ol.  I was thinking of a mimosa.  I know a lot of old timers don't like them, but I think they have a nice shape and look to them.  Beats the heck out of a Bradford Pear and they seem to do quite well in our area.  I think they would create a nice, unique look in some of the street medians or sidewalks where a medium sized tree would work because of the way the branches would flow up and outwards over the street and sidewalks. 

If you can go that route, look into the viability of a chocolate mimosa if you like the looks of them.  It'd be the unique that you mentioned.

Mimosas tend to be the trees I cut down as a weed but I agree, it would definitely stand out downtown.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #433 on: December 13, 2012, 12:02:23 pm »

I have a Mimosa I need to dig out before it gets too much more mature.  Artist, are you interested?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #434 on: December 13, 2012, 12:03:02 pm »

I remember them as being a messy tree regarding their seed pods, almost as bad as a sweet gum but not hazardous to your feet.

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 34   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org