A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:45:18 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Concerts  (Read 9845 times)
bugo
Civic Leader

« on: September 05, 2010, 11:34:31 pm »

I've seen Metallica, Pearl Jam, Urge Overkill, Pop Will Eat Itself, Nine Inch Nails, Suicidal Tendencies, Candlebox, Sonic Youth, Hole, Cypress Hill, Pavement, Elastica, The Jesus Lizard, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, The Prodigy, Tool, Snoop Dogg, Tricky, James, the Marleys, Failure, Moby, Beck, The Roots, Blonde Redhead, Cowboy Mouth, K's Choice, Ben Folds Five, Blur, Fiona Apple, Seven Mary Three, Garrison Starr, Neilson Hubbard, Spoon, Smash Mouth, Lazlo Bane, Tori Amos, Iron Maiden, Evanescence, Chevelle, Finger Eleven, Dinosaur Jr, N.E.R.D., Talib Kweli/Reflection Eternal, Bassnectar, Ween, BT, Puya, Fugazi, Marcy Playground, Wesley Willis, Matchbox 20, and some others that I've forgotten about.  I'm going to see the Smashing Pumpkins later this month.  Disclaimer: I don't like all of the bands I've seen.  I went to a lot of festivals in the 90s and there were some pretty awful bands that I had to sit through to see the bands that I was there to see.

What artists have you seen live?  
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 10:00:52 am »

Lucky for the music industry there are more people like you than me.  I only even recognized the names of a few of the bands you have seen.  Most of the bands I would have seen were local bands at the Navy Enlisted Clubs (the enlisted sailors bar on base) and that was a long time ago.  Sometimes on a business trip there have been local bands at the motel where I was staying.  I obviously remember none of their names.

waterboy
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 10:12:03 am »

Steve Martin (plays a mean banjo), Elton John, Frank Zappa, Grand Funk Railroad (heard them a block away in my back bedroom), Blood Sweat & Tears with David Clayton Thomas, the Association, Paul Revere and the Raiders, the Beach Boys, Jerry Jeff Walker (Up Against the Wall Redneck Mothers), and finally....The Rhinestone Cowboy himself, Glen Campbell.

My wife remembers seeing Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen, Leo Kotke, The Young Rascals and The Beatles when they played the stadium in Minneapolis.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 10:54:42 am by waterboy » Logged
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 11:37:07 am »

WB,

At least I know the names of the bands you have seen.

waterboy
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 12:03:09 pm »

I thought I would at least add some balance. Up Against the Wall Redneck Mothers was THE party song at Place One apartments in the mid to late 70's. We all knew the lyrics and sang them way too often. Cheesy
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 12:10:20 pm »

I saw Stevie Ray Vaughn play at 18th and Boston at the old Boston Avenue Market.

Power is nothing till you use it.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 05:59:44 am »

Oak Ridge Boys, Nine Inch Nails, Tori Amos, Collective Soul, Caroline Spine, Linkin Park, POD, Cypress Hill, Evsanescence, Hoobastank, Sister Hazel, Old 97's, Cherry Poppin Daddies, K's Choice, Beck, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Cowboy Mouth, Adema, Story of the Year, Wayman Tisdale, Joe Diffie..

That's all I can remember right now.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 08:47:22 am »

Boston, Alice Cooper, Frank Zappa, Queensryche, Peter Frampton, Led Zeppelin, ZZ Top, Scorpions, Leon Russell, Foghat, Judas Priest, B.T.O., REO Speedwagon, Gary Wright, Santana, Kiss(Twice), Genesis, Cheap Trick, Kansas, Streets, Cinderella, Black Sabbath, L.A. Guns, Australian Pink Floyd, Heart, Ted Nugent(Twice), Eddie Money, Doobie Brothers, Joan Jett, Queen(With Freddie). And coming up Rush.
Thats about all that my burned out memories can conjure up. Great times.

I saw a show way back in the 70s. If you bought their album you got two tickets to their show at the expo square pavillion. It was Granmax and Laserama. The Album was milk white. And those guys rocked. As far as I know it was their one and only Album.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 04:06:05 pm by DolfanBob » Logged

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 02:31:45 pm »

I saw Stevie Ray Vaughn play at 18th and Boston at the old Boston Avenue Market.

And at the time you were probably thinking: Stevie Ray Who?  That along with U2 at the Brady, The Pretenders, and The Police at Cain's are four local shows I wish I'd not missed.

Let's see I've seen:

The Who, Kiss, Head East (w/Gary Wright), Billy Squier, Cheap Trick, Leon Russell, Junior Brown, Dick Dale, Dave Matthews, Willie Nelson, Hanson, Billy Bob Thornton, The Call, Riccochet (at Cowboys in Arlington back before they had a major contract), Moody Blues, Bruce Hornsby, Robert Palmer, Golden Earring, The Police, Jim Brickman, Al Hirt, Ray Charles, Chuck Berry, Allison Krauss, Jerry Seinfeld, Smash Mouth

Edit to add: Red Elvises, Southern Culture On The Skids, Legendary Shack Shakers, Asia (w/ Steve Howe at Yucatan Liquor Stand), Steel Breeze, Toto, Rod Stewart (a GF talked me into it), Charlie Daniels Band...

Geez many more I can't recall right now, I'm sure I'll edit my list.  I'm not a huge concert-goer anymore between ticket prices and over-amplified music, it's not that enjoyable to me.  Also more I've seen at outdoor festivals like Juneteenth, Mayfest, etc. I've long since forgotten
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 05:23:05 pm by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 02:50:33 pm »

I'm not a huge concert-goer anymore between ticket prices and over-amplified music, it's not that enjoyable to me.
I have found that 30dB earplugs are a perfect solution.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
bmuscotty
Civic Leader

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 03:19:59 pm »

ticket prices

First really big concert I ever went to was KISS and Cheap Trick at the Cow Palace in San Francisco on August 16th 1977. Tickets were $6.50. What was it when they were here in December? $129? I was looking at some of my old ticket stubs: Rolling Stones 1981 $15.50, Kansas 1980 $9.50, Prince 1985 $17.50. Bon Jovi 1989 $18.50, BB King 2002 $48.00, Def Leppard 2003 $39.50. What a difference a few decades can make. But what hasn't gone up in price.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 03:24:44 pm »

First really big concert I ever went to was KISS and Cheap Trick at the Cow Palace in San Francisco on August 16th 1977. Tickets were $6.50. What was it when they were here in December? $129? I was looking at some of my old ticket stubs: Rolling Stones 1981 $15.50, Kansas 1980 $9.50, Prince 1985 $17.50. Bon Jovi 1989 $18.50, BB King 2002 $48.00, Def Leppard 2003 $39.50. What a difference a few decades can make. But what hasn't gone up in price.

Kiss was the first concert I went to on the 1977 tour here in Tulsa.  Their first appearance in Tulsa since Peter Criss was hit with a beer bottle on their previous tour.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rwarn17588
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 06:57:44 pm »

Deep breath ...

Kenny Rogers, Jackson Browne, Sammy Hagar, ZZ Top, Van Halen, R.E.M., INXS, Peter Gabriel, Neil Young & Crazy Horse, B.B. King, Chris Whitley, Don Williams, Meat Puppets, Mojo Nixon & Skid Roper, KISS, Paul McCartney, Enuff Z'nuff, Living Colour, Rollins Band, Butthole Surfers, Siouxie and the Banshees, Psychedelic Furs, John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band, The Call, Black Crowes, Foghat, Cheap Trick, Big Sandy & The Fly-Rite Boys, Son Volt, Subdudes, Bottle Rockets, Big Twist and the Mellow Fellows, Joe Ely, Junior Brown, BR549, Don Walser, Henry Rollins, Dale Watson, Sonic Youth, Social Distortion, Buckwheat Zydeco, Tiny Tim (purely by chance), Neville Brothers, Steve Earle with the Del McCoury Band, Yes, Jane's Addiction, Aerosmith, Merle Haggard, Loretta Lynn, B-52s, Judy Collins, Buddy Miles, Mark Chesnutt, Willie Nelson, Ray Price, Asleep at the Wheel, R.L. Burnside, Honeyboy Edwards, Chuck Berry, Neil Diamond, Dwight Yoakam, The Derailers, Hank Williams Jr., Tom T. Hall, Garth Brooks, Tracy Lawrence, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Marty Stuart & The Fabulous Superlatives, Bo Diddley, Lucinda Williams, Sponge, Robert Plant, Don Henley, Soul Asylum, Robert Palmer, Billy Joe Shaver, and Slobberbone.

There's more than that. But those are the one I remember without looking it up.

Tom Petty's coming up next. I reckon I'll see Roy Clark, too, at the fair.
rwarn17588
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 07:00:56 pm »

I snagged some sub-$40 tickets for KISS a few months ago. But you're right. Prices have gotten out of hand.

I've heard it will get worse because recordings are making much less money, unless you're doing it yourself without a major label. I've read from artist after artist who insist that touring is the only way to make money.
dioscorides
Civic Leader

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 05:12:08 pm »

here are mine (i hope the link works):
http://www.last.fm/user/dioscorides/events

There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says 'Good people drink good beer.' Which is true, then as now. Just look around you in any public barroom and you will quickly see: bad people drink bad beer. Think about it. - Hunter S. Thompson
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org