A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:08:36 am
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oklahoma Poll Results 8/1/10  (Read 22474 times)
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2010, 08:12:54 am »

Well its time for vacation again......

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2010, 12:58:58 pm »

Well its time for vacation again......
Don't let them pesky facts get in the way.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
okcpulse
Civic Leader

« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2010, 09:16:00 pm »

Nathan, I think that's probably in line with national thinking as well and not surprising.  I think it also blows the lid off the stupid racist meme that gets thrown at those of us who see the need for better immigration law enforcement.  The problem people have is the connotation of "amnesty".  It would be a physical impossibility to deport 12mm to 25mm illegal aliens to their home countries, but citizenship should not be automatic and without stipulations either.

"More than three-quarters of the 755 Oklahomans surveyed by SoonerPoll.com July 16-21 said they favor allowing illegal immigrants to remain if they admit they broke the law, pay fines and back taxes, learn English and begin the process of obtaining legal residency.

"I think they should be given that opportunity and not just up and deport them unless they're part of some criminal element," said poll respondent Lee Oliver of Bixby. "I think they should at least be given a chance."

Ninety-three percent of those surveyed said they support stronger border security and immigration law enforcement throughout the country.

Eighty percent favor requiring Social Security cards with fingerprints or other biometric information to make it harder for illegal immigrants to get jobs.

"There are several reasons for controlling people who come into our country," said Michael Kendrick of Collinsville. "Everybody seems to think about Mexico, but there are a lot of (other) people coming in illegally."

Kendrick said he thinks most people coming to the U.S. illegally are just looking for work, but public health and security concerns make tighter controls necessary."

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=16&articleid=20100808_16_A1_Inmate724589

I totally agree.  And some of you say that Oklahoma is a bigoted, hateful state.  Feel free to send me your address so I can ship you a jump-to-conclusions mat.  Sheesh.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 09:17:31 pm by okcpulse » Logged

okcpulse
Civic Leader

« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2010, 09:20:37 pm »

Yes, and doing nothing is even more?  That's the best you can do?

In case you forgot.. here are a few things of note that he has done.

1. SCHIP Expansion
2. Hate Crime Bill
3. Fair Pay Act (which allows women to receive equal pay for the same job).
4. Stem Cell Research (sorry bible thumpers)
5. The Economic Recovery Act (Stimulus)
6. The Financial Reform Bill
7. The Health Care Bill
8. The Education Bill
9. The Energy Bill (will probably get passed in some form this year)

Not to mention appointing 2 People to the Supreme Court.

But is it good legislation?  And even though I don't agree with Bible thumpers, many are for stem cell research, just not embryonic stem cell research. 

Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2010, 06:56:12 am »

Wow, Oklahoma supports amnesty?!?!?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org