A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:02:18 am
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 61   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Global Warming/Climate Change/Global Weirding?  (Read 444522 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #510 on: November 17, 2014, 02:31:04 pm »

I think the title of this thread needs to be changed to "Global Warming/Climate Change/Global Weirding/Global Warming Hiatus/Some Ocean Warming?"

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #511 on: November 17, 2014, 02:45:55 pm »

I think the title of this thread needs to be changed to "Global Warming/Climate Change/Global Weirding/Global Warming Hiatus/Some Ocean Warming?"

And yet, there’s another interesting aspect to the Timmerman article:  Many articles deny there was any sort of stagnation in ocean temps for the last 13 years, yet this one seems to agree.

For such a “consensus” amongst scientists, it’s anything but.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Ed W
City Father

Re:
« Reply #512 on: November 17, 2014, 04:17:56 pm »

The Ryan Storm Scope tracked lightning strikes from an aircraft. It was the poor mans weather radar. Using an ADF antenna and proprietary software, it calculated range and direction, displaying lightning on a screen much like radar.

Ed W

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
guido911
T-Town Elder

Re:
« Reply #513 on: November 17, 2014, 04:31:34 pm »

The Ryan Storm Scope tracked lightning strikes from an aircraft. It was the poor mans weather radar. Using an ADF antenna and proprietary software, it calculated range and direction, displaying lightning on a screen much like radar.

Ed W

Interesting. I think this accounts for the ocean's warming.... Tongue

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #514 on: November 17, 2014, 06:21:31 pm »

And yet, there’s another interesting aspect to the Timmerman article:  Many articles deny there was any sort of stagnation in ocean temps for the last 13 years, yet this one seems to agree.

For such a “consensus” amongst scientists, it’s anything but.

Be careful, there is a difference between "ocean temps" and "surface ocean temps".  Also, how can I say this... If for instance the sun was not putting out as much radiation during a certain amount of time (low sunspots) and the usual temperature drop would be 2 degrees, but the temperature drop was only 1 degree, you could still say that what you are measuring is warmer (than it would normally have been), even though the temperature dropped. What they are trying to measure in many instances is how much the CO2 is warming things over all and over the long term.  There will be fluctuations down caused by many things, but even then, they don't appear to be as "far down" as they would be without the CO2, thus it's still warming. Got it?  Cheesy

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Ed W
City Father

Re:
« Reply #515 on: November 17, 2014, 06:55:16 pm »

Interesting. I think this accounts for the ocean's warming.... Tongue

It's much like listening to AM radio on a stormy night, Guido. All those static crashes are lightning strikes. An Automatic Direction Finder radio (ADF) will point to a nearby lightning strike as it has far more energy than a radio station. The Storm Scope adapted this principle by using the direction finding capability coupled with software that determined range. Storms nearer the equator produce lightning with more energy that those further north or south, something that I never knew. But if global warming produces greater atmospheric instability, more storms and more lightning strikes should be expected. Computerized operations make it easier to do these counts, so good data should be expected. Simple versions are available for golf courses or any other place where lightning could be dangerous for unprotected people. We use one of these at AA, for instance, to detect lightning within 3 miles of the base. You do not want to be standing under an aircraft during a storm,

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
guido911
T-Town Elder

Re:
« Reply #516 on: November 17, 2014, 09:55:21 pm »

It's much like listening to AM radio on a stormy night, Guido. All those static crashes are lightning strikes. An Automatic Direction Finder radio (ADF) will point to a nearby lightning strike as it has far more energy than a radio station. The Storm Scope adapted this principle by using the direction finding capability coupled with software that determined range. Storms nearer the equator produce lightning with more energy that those further north or south, something that I never knew. But if global warming produces greater atmospheric instability, more storms and more lightning strikes should be expected. Computerized operations make it easier to do these counts, so good data should be expected. Simple versions are available for golf courses or any other place where lightning could be dangerous for unprotected people. We use one of these at AA, for instance, to detect lightning within 3 miles of the base. You do not want to be standing under an aircraft during a storm,

I remember listening to the AM radio late a night when I was a kid. That's all we had. Something about visualizing a story for myself...

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #517 on: November 17, 2014, 09:55:52 pm »

This is how some conservative leaning folks view the consensus.

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/11/17/what-the-mainstream-media-wont-tell-you-about-global-warming/

And a link found on that site about ice accumulating on Lake Superior.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/ice-visible-lake-superior-weeks-ahead-schedule/story?id=26939239&google_editors_picks=true
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 10:20:07 pm by guido911 » Logged

rebound
City Father

Re:
« Reply #518 on: November 17, 2014, 10:22:43 pm »

Simple versions are available for golf courses or any other place where lightning could be dangerous for unprotected people.

"Weatherbug" and "Hi-Def Radar" apps for the iphone (and I'm sure others) have lightning strike alerts and indicators.   We used to use them a lot during soccer games.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #519 on: November 17, 2014, 10:51:53 pm »

OMG, does anyone actually believe that stuff? lol

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #520 on: November 18, 2014, 12:30:09 am »

guido quoted;
This is how some conservative leaning folks view the consensus.

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/11/17/what-the-mainstream-media-wont-tell-you-about-global-warming/

Some do actually believe that stuff.  Including some here we all know and love....

What the Murdochian World won't tell you about climate change....

#1.  Slowing isn't the same as stopping OR reversing....   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming_hiatus

#2.  For 2 years...that's not a trend, no matter what Rupert wants you to believe.

#3.  Distortion, dissemination, lies, and outright deception.  Like so many of Rupert's Gish Gallop moments... CO2 is indispensable, but it is also a pollutant.  Just like eating a tomato can be tasty and good for you, but eating 100 can be the opposite.

#4.  Where did that statement come from?  References?  Again, lies, distortions, deception.  In fact, CO2 is at its highest levels in over 400,000 years and the earth has been warming for 200 years.  Approximately 12,750 years ago, before big cars and coal plants, CO2 levels were NOT higher than today, but in fact were much lower.  During the past 400,000 years, CO2 has ranged from about 200 ppm the larger amount of the time, with excursions to 280 ppm.  Today it is at 400 ppm - double the past.  Never in that 400,000 years has the level been 20x today's.

#5.  Irrelevant.  Just a little bit of cyanide can kill ya, so really no point at all to that comment except as "Gish Gallop" filler.

#6.  Dissemination with meaningless jibber-jabber...pretty much the definition of Gish Gallop.  Ocean levels are up.  Countries in the Pacific have flooded.  The trend continues today, and the 'pauses' have been explained by volcanic action.

#7.  Tooth fairy is what they want ya to believe in.... What Cook actually said was of papers stating a position, the 97% said climate change was human caused.  The big piece missing in this puzzle is what the 65% or so who expressed no position.  Anybody who can read or even listen to the video should be able to understand that....

#8.  Maybe.  Maybe not - in the past, temp has always led CO2.  The difference today is that they have been increasing together.  That is a huge difference.  Rupert would like for all of us to just sit down and shut up and don't even think about it.  That would be the biggest mistake of all.

#9.  We may yet go into an ice age - it is what the planet has done in these type circumstances before - for over 400,000 years.  The ocean conveyor has yet to see any big changes that I have heard of yet.  The movie may still have it right.

#10.  Droughts have increased.  Here and other places in the world.  California, Colorado, a lot of the west is in deep stuff now because of exactly that.  We are still in drought in spite of recent rains - our soil moisture levels in most of OK are good to deeper than 10", but at 24" - deep soil moisture - most of the state is very dry....in drought.  The Sahara continues to grow, for whatever reasons - even the non-meteorological ones are still man made.

#11.  Polar bear populations are about half what they were in the past.  Seals too - their main food source.  Which came first - dying out of seals or dying out of bears?

#12.  Or;

"According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), precipitation intensity and variability have increased over most land areas. This is a result of warmer temperatures intensifying and accelerating the hydrological cycle, leading to an increase in evaporation that causes an increase in total annual precipitation. However, evidence from climate change models suggests that precipitation events will occur less frequently, resulting in an increase in the number of extreme storm events. In fact, meteorological records have shown an increase in the number of days with precipitation greater than 2 inches during the 20th century (Karl et al. 1996)."

http://www.theclimatechangeclearinghouse.org/CLIMATECHANGEIMPACTS/CHANGESSTORMINTENSITYFREQUENCY/Pages/default.aspx

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #521 on: November 18, 2014, 11:15:42 am »

http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #522 on: November 18, 2014, 11:50:54 am »

Can't possibly be valid - there are no "Faux News" crony references!!

FUD for all !!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #523 on: November 18, 2014, 12:21:35 pm »

Lots of people can't identify the USA on a globe or don't know who won the American civil war.

Ask a few people who made up the Axis and Allied powers in WWII.

Ask someone to ID a prime number.

Just don't act too uppity about it or you'll be called an educated elitist.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #524 on: November 18, 2014, 12:41:02 pm »

http://www.cna.org/sites/default/files/MAB_2014.pdf
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 61   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org