A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:00:23 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rand Paul's former deity? "Aqua Buddha"  (Read 39028 times)
Smokinokie
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 03:32:33 pm »

OK. As long as you realize that the "tea baggers" came up with the name themselves. Unfortunate for them, that.
Perhaps, perhaps not. I haven't seen any evidence either way.
 On another note, while I found the video extreamly disturbing, I also understand how it can happen.

"Lauren Valle, a volunteer for the liberal MoveOn.org advocacy group, was allegedly assaulted by a Paul supporter as she attempted to give the Republican candidate a mock award highlighting GOP links to big business."
She admits she approached the person with false intent. I guess it's good she didn't have a gun but then how would anyone know?
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 05:05:34 pm »

On another note, while I found the video extreamly disturbing, I also understand how it can happen.

"Lauren Valle, a volunteer for the liberal MoveOn.org advocacy group, was allegedly assaulted by a Paul supporter as she attempted to give the Republican candidate a mock award highlighting GOP links to big business."
She admits she approached the person with false intent. I guess it's good she didn't have a gun but then how would anyone know?

Here's your evidence...jerk.

http://nrd.nationalreview.com/article/?q=Mjk1YmRjNzIxNmUwMTI0ZWYxZWU4OWU2MzFiOWJmNDE=

The first big day for this movement was Tax Day, April 15. And organizers had a gimmick. They asked people to send a tea bag to the Oval Office. One of the exhortations was “Tea Bag the Fools in D.C.” A protester was spotted with a sign saying, “Tea Bag the Liberal Dems Before They Tea Bag You.” So, conservatives started it: started with this terminology. But others ran with it and ran with it.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 05:09:07 pm »

Heads? Nope, but he likes name calling, I thought since he enjoys names so much I would give him one as well.

Point out where I call a name to someone on this forum who hasn't called me one in kind?  Doubt you can do it.  You're a tea party member, right?  How many times have you called Obama a communist?  Be truthful now.

You didn't like the reference and slew out the ad-hom.  You and Gweed should compare notes.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 07:48:23 pm »

I guess it's good she didn't have a gun but then how would anyone know?
Wow, you set a really low bar for use of force.

And I'm telling you, they called themselves tea baggers first, back when the tax day mini-protests were getting organized, around the time of the first set of rallies. You can believe me or not, I don't really care, but that's what happened, at least according to the quotes in the newspaper articles I read around that time.

(to be fair, they called themselves "tea bag protesters," although the first two articles I could find on google news with the term "tea bagger" were both from right wingers. So maybe the establishment Republicans started it, I can't be sure. I do know that I saw quotes from rally attendees at the 4/15/2009 rallies also using the term, but by May, there were tea partiers complaining of the label, so their use of it was short lived.

The overriding irony of those protests is that government consumption spending hadn't increased at more than its usual pace, thanks to massive cuts in state budgets offsetting the increased federal spending on entitlements, and as of 4/15/2009, it was actually running below its usual rate of increase, although it resumed its normal trend later in the year when the stimulus money started getting spent.

I'm sure you know how it works; you get a couple of billionaires and a bunch of Republican power brokers behind you and you can spin a story any way you want regardless of the facts.  Tongue

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 05:21:10 am »

Yeah, to second nathan, that's a pretty deplorable little perversion of the social contract right there.  You don't get to curb stomp someone because they haven't proven they're not carrying heat.  That's straight up assault, and it's bad if a generic Tea Partier tries it but much worse if a member of Rand Paul's election staff is the curb stomper.  Which he was.  Guess it's just another sterling example of Tea Party thug life, no? 

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 07:10:24 am »

Guess it's just another sterling example of Tea Party thug life, no? 

If one can assume your statement is true, Lauren Valle is just another sterling example of the left not thinking of the consequences of their actions or being just plain stupid.  Either that or she wanted to be a martyr. 

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 07:42:28 am »

Yeah, to second nathan, that's a pretty deplorable little perversion of the social contract right there.  You don't get to curb stomp someone because they haven't proven they're not carrying heat.  That's straight up assault, and it's bad if a generic Tea Partier tries it but much worse if a member of Rand Paul's election staff is the curb stomper.  Which he was.  Guess it's just another sterling example of Tea Party thug life, no?  

Has anyone seen a video of the entire incident from the time she accosted Dr. Paul?  You don't think it's just slightly biased to show only the curb stomp do you?  If your job was to help protect a candidate, or you were a candidate, or you were a simple volunteer, you might react different if suddenly someone comes out of a crowd and tries to shove something at a candidate.  You have less than a second to react if it were a weapon.

The curb stomp is unacceptible behavior, but think of the stupid things you've done under the influence of adrenaline before you make comments like "Tea Party thug life".

Show me the entire incident and I'll gladly say this goon was searching for an excuse to beat someone up if that's really the case.  Given the evidence thus far, I don't think you can draw such a conclusion other than everyone's heart rate went up for a minute or so in a mass of confusion.

Oh, and one more thing, she was definitely trying to pull an O'Keefe.  Surprised none of you lefties mentioned that.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Smokinokie
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 08:59:29 am »

Point out where I call a name to someone on this forum who hasn't called me one in kind?  Doubt you can do it.  You're a tea party member, right?  How many times have you called Obama a communist?  Be truthful now.

You didn't like the reference and slew out the ad-hom.  You and Gweed should compare notes.
No, I'm not a Tea Party member and I'm not a republican. I'm a registered independent. While my political views are conservitave, both the Democrat and Republican parties are ruled to much by special interest money. That is't likely to change any time soon.

You claim you don't name call unless you are called a name first. Like it or not, you can't stand behind that statement. "teabaggers"? A name is a name is a name.
 Deny you used it in an inflammatory manner.

That being said, I would like to offer you an apology. I jumped on you for a few reasons. I hate the way political discussions and even campaign adds are more and more negative. It's childish and down right nasty and there's no reason for it. I know, it goes back a long way. Thomas Jefferson once paid a writer to affirm his opponent was a hermaphrodite. Davie Crockett proclaimed his opponent wore a girdle and dressed as a woman all trussed up.

Additionally, my mother had a family acquaintance take her for 9K and disappear. I have been dealing with that since Saturday and have been simmering since. My anger got the better of me and I made a remark that was below me.
 So, I offer my apologies whether you will accept them or not.
Smokinokie
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2010, 09:02:50 am »

Yeah, to second nathan, that's a pretty deplorable little perversion of the social contract right there.  You don't get to curb stomp someone because they haven't proven they're not carrying heat.  That's straight up assault, and it's bad if a generic Tea Partier tries it but much worse if a member of Rand Paul's election staff is the curb stomper.  Which he was.  Guess it's just another sterling example of Tea Party thug life, no?  

Yes, it was a pretty lame excuse. I have been in "Attack mode" since Saturday. Rage will make a person do and say things they normally wouldn't. Please see my previous response.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 09:09:45 am by Smokinokie » Logged
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2010, 09:09:38 am »

No, I'm not a Tea Party member and I'm not a republican. I'm a registered independent. While my political views are conservitave, both the Democrat and Republican parties are ruled to much by special interest money. That is't likely to change any time soon.

You claim you don't name call unless you are called a name first. Like it or not, you can't stand behind that statement. "teabaggers"? A name is a name is a name.
 Deny you used it in an inflammatory manner.

That being said, I would like to offer you an apology. I jumped on you for a few reasons. I hate the way political discussions and even campaign adds are more and more negative. It's childish and down right nasty and there's no reason for it. I know, it goes back a long way. Thomas Jefferson once paid a writer to affirm his opponent was a hermaphrodite. Davie Crockett proclaimed his opponent wore a girdle and dressed as a woman all trussed up.

Additionally, my mother had a family acquaintance take her for 9K and disappear. I have been dealing with that since Saturday and have been simmering since. My anger got the better of me and I made a remark that was below me.
 So, I offer my apologies whether you will accept them or not.

Understand how that can happen, and yes, apology is accepted.

However...

I used the term only because it's been used in the past as I noted earlier, and to make a point about classiness.  And then come to find out that this guy was a Rand Paul campaign higher-up makes it even worse.

With that out of the way, I can agree with you on my nausea over the current slate of political ads, from at least Labor Day.  I've been telling most everyone I converse with I'll be glad when this cycle is over, regardless of the outcome.  If the Republicans take control of the house (doubtful they'll do so in the Senate; the Tea Party has almost made sure of that), then it will be political gridlock for the next two years, at least.

And some of the ads, like those for certain positions which have nothing to do with national policy (state district judge and his stance on abortion/'Obamacare' etc. ad nauseum) have no place.  It's like the discussion we had earlier in the year about a certain political candidate's stand on abortion when it was not even relevant in the discourse of the position he was seeking.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 09:11:23 am by Hoss » Logged

Smokinokie
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2010, 09:11:07 am »

Understand how that can happen, and yes, apology is accepted.

However...

I used the term only because it's been used in the past, and to make a point about classiness.  And then come to find out that this guy was a Rand Paul campaign higher-up makes it even worse.

With that out of the way, I can agree with you on my nausea over the current slate of political ads, from at least Labor Day.  I've been telling most everyone I converse with I'll be glad when this cycle is over, regardless of the outcome.  If the Republicans take control of the house (doubtful they'll do so in the Senate; the Tea Party has almost made sure of that), then it will be political gridlock for the next two years, at least.

And some of the ads, like those for certain positions which have nothing to do with national policy (state district judge and his stance on abortion/'Obamacare' etc. ad nauseum) have no place.  It's like the discussion we had earlier in the year about a certain political candidate's stand on abortion when it was not even relevant in the discourse of the position he was seeking.

Thanks man.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2010, 09:19:53 am »

If one can assume your statement is true, Lauren Valle is just another sterling example of the left not thinking of the consequences of their actions or being just plain stupid.  Either that or she wanted to be a martyr. 

Look. She can be stupid or smart, leftie or rightie . . . she could be a normal person standidng quietly, have Tourette's and be spewing cursewords or any other range of behaviors and it doesn't make it ok for those guys to assault her. 

This is a variation on the "I wouldn't have raped her if she didn't ask for it" argument and it's as bankrupt here as it ever was.   
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2010, 09:47:46 am »

I believe that tea bagger is the simplest way to mention a tea party person.  Tea Party Protester or Tea Party Person is just a pain to write and doesn't sound right.  Regardless of the double meaning. 
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2010, 09:51:28 am »

Look. She can be stupid or smart, leftie or rightie . . . she could be a normal person standidng quietly, have Tourette's and be spewing cursewords or any other range of behaviors and it doesn't make it ok for those guys to assault her. 

This is a variation on the "I wouldn't have raped her if she didn't ask for it" argument and it's as bankrupt here as it ever was.   

Over-react much?

Tell me where this isn't selective editing.  They open the piece with the "stomp", the most inflammitory scene they could show, and it's not even accurate to say he stomped on her head, his foot was on her shoulder.  Again, we don't see the provocation, only her being hauled up and wig removed, then the shoulder stomp. 

Why did she need to be wrestled in the first place?  We don't appear to have that on film.  Maybe I should be more biased in my thinking processes instead of wanting to know the full story before trying to pin this as a systemic problem with an entire political movement.  From her actions let's say all moveon libtards are violence baiters.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2010, 09:52:32 am »

I believe that tea bagger is the simplest way to mention a tea party person.  Tea Party Protester or Tea Party Person is just a pain to write and doesn't sound right.  Regardless of the double meaning. 

I think they like "Tea Partier" now.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org