A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:37:25 am
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 200 room Aloft Hotel coming to downtown Tulsa  (Read 60433 times)
Markk
Civic Leader

« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2013, 10:10:19 am »

http://newsok.com/plaza-will-get-a-facelift-as-improvements-made/article/3792239

Plaza will get a facelift as improvements made

TULSA -- There's a transformation under way in downtown Tulsa and there's much more to come.

The Greater Tulsa Reporter's account talks about the transformation of old City Hall into an Aloft hotel nearing completion, but other projects just beginning.

Among the work scheduled are improvements to Tulsa’s historic downtown plaza.

That will include extending 5th Street from Denver Avenue to Frisco Avenue in front of the convention center.

Officials say the hotel is expected to be finished in mid-May. It will have 190 rooms. There will be expansive views of the BOK Center to the north.

The 5th Street project will cut through the middle of the plaza and will have drop-off areas for the library and Tulsa County building, as well as an access area to the hotel.

"Historic downtown plaza"?  The plaza deserves to be gutted and tossed in history's dustbin, just like the old Soviet Union (which undoubtedly was the inspiration for the plaza)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2013, 10:15:11 am »

"Historic downtown plaza"?  The plaza deserves to be gutted and tossed in history's dustbin, just like the old Soviet Union (which undoubtedly was the inspiration for the plaza)

...in your opinion.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2013, 10:31:46 am »

"Historic downtown plaza"?  The plaza deserves to be gutted and tossed in history's dustbin, just like the old Soviet Union (which undoubtedly was the inspiration for the plaza)

This "facelift" is really more of gut and replace. There will be a frickin street where the plaza is now, if that helps your mental image.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2013, 11:31:25 am »

I've never seen an explanation for why no fire department access was apparently acceptable when it was city hall, but now that it's a hotel, an access road is needed.

Also, I can't be the only one disappointed in another road. Walk across downtown and it's all extra-wide roads and parking lots.

When they were showing videos of locked-down Boston the other day, the streets looked like downtown Tulsa's do most of the time.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2013, 11:57:54 am »

I've never seen an explanation for why no fire department access was apparently acceptable when it was city hall, but now that it's a hotel, an access road is needed.

Change of use?

The space I am in would not have needed 2water fountains, an in ground mop sink, ADA compliant restrooms, etc. had its use stayed "restaurant" vrs being changed to "retail/gift shop". 

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2013, 02:23:19 pm »

City Hall workers are expendable.  Paying guests are not.

Grin

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2013, 03:19:12 pm »

A nice, scenic, pretty plaza, flanked by maybe the ugliest muncipal building in America.  Seriously, it looks like someone glued some pebbles to a wall, then let it stain for 50 years.  I guess that's probably exactly what happened.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2013, 08:16:43 pm »

We have a banquet in the new place this Friday night. I am excited to see the changes.

Power is nothing till you use it.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2013, 05:16:26 am »

Also, I can't be the only one disappointed in another road. Walk across downtown and it's all extra-wide roads and parking lots.

When they were showing videos of locked-down Boston the other day, the streets looked like downtown Tulsa's do most of the time.

This is more of an access road than a road-road. And it's far from wide. It's basically just a way to pull up to Aloft and into the forthcoming library parking garage.
Stone
Activist

« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2014, 08:17:40 pm »

Are they ever going to put any signage on this? How are people driving through suppose to know its a hotel?

davideinstein
« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2014, 09:08:09 pm »

Because it's the city of Tulsa.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2014, 06:18:51 am »

Are they ever going to put any signage on this? How are people driving through suppose to know its a hotel?

There is signage all around it, at or above car level.
dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2014, 03:00:55 pm »

They used historic tax credits for some of the restoration, so they can't significantly alter the exterior until a certain timeframe (a couple of years? 5 years?) ends. At least, that's what I heard from someone who used to work there. Same with the salvageable single-paned windows at the Mayo.

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
Stone
Activist

« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2015, 04:18:44 pm »

They added signage at the top of the east and north sides of the building. Visitors driving through Tulsa can now tell what the building is if coming in from those directions. Coming in from the west, not so much. Big improvement non the less.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #119 on: January 27, 2015, 05:42:00 pm »

Watched them install that form my office. Nice sign, back lit at night. Tall buildings need signs identifying them.  Smiley

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org