A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:49:35 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QuikTrip vs. Brookside's Urban Fabric  (Read 30080 times)
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2010, 01:33:38 pm »

Why would Blockbuster move?  Their business model is stuck in 1990.   The question is how long until the whole chain goes belly up.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2010, 01:53:20 pm »

Why would Blockbuster move?  Their business model is stuck in 1990.   The question is how long until the whole chain goes belly up.

That Blockbuster seems to stay pretty busy, and as someone who doesn't do Netflix or watch movies online I go there occasionally.  You're right though that if that property is bought and redeveloped it's probably the end to Blockbuster in Brookside. 

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2010, 02:45:54 pm »

That Blockbuster seems to stay pretty busy, and as someone who doesn't do Netflix or watch movies online I go there occasionally.  You're right though that if that property is bought and redeveloped it's probably the end to Blockbuster in Brookside. 

There is a redbox at the kum-n-go and two at the neighborhood market. Save yourself $4.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2010, 02:47:34 pm »

There is a redbox at the kum-n-go and two at the neighborhood market. Save yourself $4.

You mean K & G actually still exists around here?  How many of their original stores that were old Git N Gos are left?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2010, 05:26:44 pm »

You mean K & G actually still exists around here?  How many of their original stores that were old Git N Gos are left?

Out south they've built all new stores all over the place. They have something like 30 stores in the Tulsa area.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2010, 05:51:33 pm »

Out south they've built all new stores all over the place. They have something like 30 stores in the Tulsa area.

Ah...you Southies can keep 'em.  I'll stick to QT.

Grin

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2010, 06:26:48 pm »

Ah...you Southies can keep 'em.  I'll stick to QT.

Grin

No no, don't get me wrong, even the new Kum and Go stores suck, they just still exist. QT is building two new stores within two miles of my house, I hope at least one of them is the new format.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2010, 07:28:37 pm »

No no, don't get me wrong, even the new Kum and Go stores suck, they just still exist. QT is building two new stores within two miles of my house, I hope at least one of them is the new format.

Nope, they're building all that they're going to build right now:

51st/129th
Hwy 412 and Gilcrease Musuem Rd.
15th and Denver

And for the life of me, can't figure out why they're building one in Independence, MO...

Just four to start with.

YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2010, 11:59:37 pm »

Nope, they're building all that they're going to build right now:

51st/129th
Hwy 412 and Gilcrease Musuem Rd.
15th and Denver

And for the life of me, can't figure out why they're building one in Independence, MO...

Just four to start with.

If anything, the best place for them to try the new format would be in a completely new market.   My main issue with the new format is that stuff is in different places now.   As a Tulsan, you walk into any QuikTrip and without even looking around you, proceed straight to the item you wish to grab and purchase.  You walk into the new format and it's like "hey, I have to search this place to find what I want" - Definitely a different experience for a Tulsan QT Zombie.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2010, 07:02:24 am »

I wasn't aware any had closed.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2010, 07:45:00 am »

I wasn't aware any had closed.

You don't live out south, do you Scott?  There are several that I can think of.

61st/Memorial
16th/Memorial (I know this one because I used to live in the apartments behind that strip center, when it didn't feel like a war zone -- this was in the mid to late nineties).
Pine between Memorial and Sheridan.
Admiral just west of Memorial (maybe indy before K&G took over G&G)
11th & Mingo.
36th & Yale?  (not sure if it was a K&G before it was indy)
Sheridan at Indepedence

Maybe more?

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2010, 09:28:48 am »

You don't live out south, do you Scott?  There are several that I can think of.

61st/Memorial
16th/Memorial (I know this one because I used to live in the apartments behind that strip center, when it didn't feel like a war zone -- this was in the mid to late nineties).
Pine between Memorial and Sheridan.
Admiral just west of Memorial (maybe indy before K&G took over G&G)
11th & Mingo.
36th & Yale?  (not sure if it was a K&G before it was indy)
Sheridan at Indepedence

Maybe more?

I don’t think any of those were Kum and Go stores. Not all Git N Go stores became Kum and Go. A bunch of stores just closed or became random slum-marts, some were bought by Quick Trip and demolished, some became Fiesta Marts and some became Kum and Go. I don’t think any that became Fiesta Marts or Kum and Go have closed, I think they only took the most viable stores (except for the ones that QT bought and killed to protect their own stores).
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2010, 09:42:58 am »

I don’t think any of those were Kum and Go stores. Not all Git N Go stores became Kum and Go. A bunch of stores just closed or became random slum-marts, some were bought by Quick Trip and demolished, some became Fiesta Marts and some became Kum and Go. I don’t think any that became Fiesta Marts or Kum and Go have closed, I think they only took the most viable stores (except for the ones that QT bought and killed to protect their own stores).

Know for a fact the one at 16th/Memorial was.  I went there every day and still have a Kum & Go refillable cup I bought from there.  What doomed them at that location was one gas pump.  I'm surprised Git N Go lasted as long as they did right there.  Pretty sure the one at 11th and Mingo was too.  The others I have a vague recollection of.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org