A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:44:17 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TMAPC July worksession - Sign Board Advisory  (Read 5946 times)
Liz Wright
« on: June 19, 2010, 11:08:30 pm »

Greetings all -

So glad to read the comments regarding billboards -

The TMAPC July work session will be on the Sign Ordinance. The Sign Advisory Board will present. The Ordinance is more complicated and interwoven than you'd think. The Public is welcome to attend the work session which follows the regular meeting. We begin at 1:30 pm and depending upon the agenda the work session typically begins between 1:50 and 2:00 p.m.

The work session is to present material to the TMAPC and is not a public hearing forum. As I understand it, the sign ordinance is in the process of being reviewed and updated. Public comment is appreciated. Contact Shannon Benge at City Hall.

If you spot an offensive sign call the Mayors' Action Line - get a confirmation number - that will ensure that the incident will be tracked. Send an email to INCOG - attention TMAPC - to alert your commissioners.

Many cities have embraced the "no off site advertising" policy. The landscape is quite improved.

Hope some of you can attend the work session!

Liz Wright
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 07:16:28 am »

http://www.scenic.org/

Power is nothing till you use it.
inteller
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 07:57:03 pm »

hate to break it to you, but just like Planitulsa, the fix is in.  

They bury important stuff like this deep into the depths of summer when resistence will be minimal and all the lobbists like Whisler can get everything they want.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 10:21:33 pm »

hate to break it to you, but just like Planitulsa, the fix is in.

When LED billboards were codified by ordinance, the comparatively moderate recommendations of the sign advisory board were actually overridden by two newly-elected councilors to be much more lax than what the SAB was proposing.
That's why our LED billboards are brighter than what the sign industry itself recommends.

Now, it's not impossible that the SAB knew that would happen ahead of time, but that's conjecture on my part (based on my experience attending SAB meetings that the industry-related members of the board pretty much ran everything while the lay members were timid spectators).
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 10:23:54 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Liz Wright
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 10:59:23 pm »

For months and months and months every work session has been dedicated to PlaniTulsa, with the exception of one worksession. Today - we have finished the Comp Plan!!!! Yeah!

The July work session is the first time this could be presented. Just wanted to clear that up.

Liz Wright

We will have several things coming fast and furious - several plans have been waiting in the wings to get on our work session agenda.
Rico
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 08:47:15 am »

When LED billboards were codified by ordinance, the comparatively moderate recommendations of the sign advisory board were actually overridden by two newly-elected councilors to be much more lax than what the SAB was proposing.
That's why our LED billboards are brighter than what the sign industry itself recommends.

Now, it's not impossible that the SAB knew that would happen ahead of time, but that's conjecture on my part (based on my experience attending SAB meetings that the industry-related members of the board pretty much ran everything while the lay members were timid spectators).

Since seeing the LED board at the I-44 offramp and 41st St I am agreement with the LED boards either being toned down (in brightness) or, better yet, abolished.
I think if we had an Attorney, that had read Don Quixote, some form of lawsuit could be used to effect quick change.

They are a very true safety hazard. Between them, and the lights on the roads being turned off, night driving at 2:30 a.m., right after the pubs close Downtown, is more and more risky.

p.s. Ms. Wright, the "Comp Plan" is finished.
How will, and by whom will, the zoning code be changed by to comply with the New Comp Plan?

Talking maybe another year or so.....? or what is your best guess?

Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 09:29:09 am »

p.s. Ms. Wright, the "Comp Plan" is finished.
How will, and by whom will, the zoning code be changed by to comply with the New Comp Plan?

Talking maybe another year or so.....? or what is your best guess?

I'm curious about this as well.  Having seen the CVS at 41st and Harvard and the Quik-Trip at 36th and Brookside, I'm wondering how quickly can the zoning code change to prevent these unfortunate designs? 
Liz Wright
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 09:42:21 pm »

Rico -

I will ask tomorrow at the TMAPC meeting. I do not know the particulars...

Thanks for asking -
Liz
Liz Wright
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 09:49:25 pm »

I'm curious about this as well.  Having seen the CVS at 41st and Harvard and the Quik-Trip at 36th and Brookside, I'm wondering how quickly can the zoning code change to prevent these unfortunate designs? 

Call the Sign Board Advisory with any complaints and complain often. Let them know of signage that is too bright, too big, too close together etc.

Even though there is an approval process, it is not unusual for an applicant to go through the process get approved and then do something different.

For example -- a dentist on 21st still has two signs up not the one that he was approved for - Unless I complain no one will know. Which reminds me - to complain.

Remember when you want to make a department ineffective - understaff and underfund.

The Sign Board will be presenting to TMAPC at our worksession (third Wed).

Remember we can not legislate content.

Liz

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 11:03:17 pm »

Remember we can not legislate content.

That's absolutely true, and the billboard companies will cite the 1st Amendment as their justification.

...but the founding fathers never guaranteed anyone's right to speech be illuminated 24/7.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 06:48:20 am »

The candles would have blown out with the first good wind.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 06:49:36 am »

The candles would have blown out with the first good wind.

One if by land, two if by...son of a b...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 08:32:33 am »

One if by land, two if by...son of a b...

Where's that Zippo when you need it?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org