A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:07:03 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another East Village Proposal  (Read 29820 times)
spartanokc
OKC Nag
Citizen

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2010, 11:43:13 pm »

I agree wholeheartedly with you, Artist.

On a side note (lol) does anyone know what happened at the TDA meeting yesterday?

I am sorry for getting us off on a tangent, I just had to defend OKC I guess.

Rico
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2010, 08:31:56 am »

"I am sorry for getting us off on a tangent, I just had to defend OKC I guess." <  <  You have every right to be proud of OKC.

It has been my experience that it has produced some sensational
long legged, blonde haired, female types.

But that is a "tangent" of a different sort.
Kenosha
Philanthropist

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2010, 11:21:22 am »

I agree wholeheartedly with you, Artist.

On a side note (lol) does anyone know what happened at the TDA meeting yesterday?

I am sorry for getting us off on a tangent, I just had to defend OKC I guess.

FWIW, I like the OKC Trolley, and I agree with your points about Architecture and modernism.  I would be pleased as punch with that streetcar.  The 'old timey' trolley does nothing for me.   It reeks of 'tourist-y', and makes it difficult to imagine it as a legitimate mode of transport.

I do know what happened in the TDA meeting yesterday.  I'll cut to the chase: the Formaation guys presentation was incredibly thin...mostly marketing fluff.  Chuck Tollefsen, who is clearly a marketing guy, managed to belittle TDA Board member Paula Bryant Ellis by calling her "that girl" at one point.  There was very little information on how they are going to pay for this, other than citing 'layers of government programs'.  His presentation was full of misinformation: that tax credits for the Ross Group were "in progress" (not true, as evidenced by Ross Groups own presentation moments later), and that the TDA was "in process" to approve his project (they are considering the sale of land..they are not approving his project).

IMO, other than his associations with Flintco, Matrix, and Gensler (I suppose. They weren't there.) it appears that this group's ability to start, much less complete, this project is a serious question.  I doubt the TDA will go for it.

The Ross Group had a very nice presentation, I thought.  Tear down the Hartford Building (that building is problematic, to say the least.  It leaks like a sieve.  The fake stucco is falling off, and the floor to ceiling heights are short.), and replace it with a 3 story, 60,000 sq foot LEED Silver building, replete with a green roof and geo-thermal heating and cooling.  The building would be pushed to the Greenwood frontage, with parking behind it.  And they are paying for the land with cash.  I expect TDA to work something out with them.   The only thing i questioned is why they need all three parcels.  the balance will be for parking, and with just 75-100 employees, I'd question the need.  Maybe they have trucks or equipment they keep on site.

Land Legacy's presentation was equally as impressive. Love the idea of a linear park in the east village, as a catalyst for development.  That is the kind of public/private investment that downtown needs.  KMO presented a project adjacent to the park that would include 50 for sale units, ranging from 165-300k.

Two proposals were put forth for the TDA parcel at Boston and Archer.  Metroplains, a development company out of Minneapolis, proposed a 40? unit project with underground parking using a variety of federal (HOME) funds and Low Income Housing Tax Credits, so I assume this will be a low income housing project.  The other proposal was from Kevin Stephens...a 30? unit project (Urban Green I think is what he called it.)  30 -788 sq ft 1 brm 1 bath units...green patio on the second floor...3 commercial spaces on the ground floor (approx 7000 sq ft.) and parking in the back and underneath part of the building, I believe.  It seemed to be market rate housing.  Very nice project.  I think the Metroplains proposal is a bit thin, because of timing.  They need site control in order to apply for some grant, and I am not sure the TDA schedule will allow it.  I like the Stephens project, and he says he has the investors to move forward, so if either one is selected, I would imagine it would be his, if I were a gambling man.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2010, 03:57:22 pm »

FWIW, I like the OKC Trolley, and I agree with your points about Architecture and modernism.  I would be pleased as punch with that streetcar.  The 'old timey' trolley does nothing for me.   It reeks of 'tourist-y', and makes it difficult to imagine it as a legitimate mode of transport.

I do know what happened in the TDA meeting yesterday.  I'll cut to the chase: the Formaation guys presentation was incredibly thin...mostly marketing fluff.  Chuck Tollefsen, who is clearly a marketing guy, managed to belittle TDA Board member Paula Bryant Ellis by calling her "that girl" at one point.  There was very little information on how they are going to pay for this, other than citing 'layers of government programs'.  His presentation was full of misinformation: that tax credits for the Ross Group were "in progress" (not true, as evidenced by Ross Groups own presentation moments later), and that the TDA was "in process" to approve his project (they are considering the sale of land..they are not approving his project).

IMO, other than his associations with Flintco, Matrix, and Gensler (I suppose. They weren't there.) it appears that this group's ability to start, much less complete, this project is a serious question.  I doubt the TDA will go for it.

The Ross Group had a very nice presentation, I thought.  Tear down the Hartford Building (that building is problematic, to say the least.  It leaks like a sieve.  The fake stucco is falling off, and the floor to ceiling heights are short.), and replace it with a 3 story, 60,000 sq foot LEED Silver building, replete with a green roof and geo-thermal heating and cooling.  The building would be pushed to the Greenwood frontage, with parking behind it.  And they are paying for the land with cash.  I expect TDA to work something out with them.   The only thing i questioned is why they need all three parcels.  the balance will be for parking, and with just 75-100 employees, I'd question the need.  Maybe they have trucks or equipment they keep on site.

Land Legacy's presentation was equally as impressive. Love the idea of a linear park in the east village, as a catalyst for development.  That is the kind of public/private investment that downtown needs.  KMO presented a project adjacent to the park that would include 50 for sale units, ranging from 165-300k.

Two proposals were put forth for the TDA parcel at Boston and Archer.  Metroplains, a development company out of Minneapolis, proposed a 40? unit project with underground parking using a variety of federal (HOME) funds and Low Income Housing Tax Credits, so I assume this will be a low income housing project.  The other proposal was from Kevin Stephens...a 30? unit project (Urban Green I think is what he called it.)  30 -788 sq ft 1 brm 1 bath units...green patio on the second floor...3 commercial spaces on the ground floor (approx 7000 sq ft.) and parking in the back and underneath part of the building, I believe.  It seemed to be market rate housing.  Very nice project.  I think the Metroplains proposal is a bit thin, because of timing.  They need site control in order to apply for some grant, and I am not sure the TDA schedule will allow it.  I like the Stephens project, and he says he has the investors to move forward, so if either one is selected, I would imagine it would be his, if I were a gambling man.

The Ross Group plan sounds great and would be a nice addition to the area.  Ross Group, for those that don't know, is a Tulsa-based construction company that does a lot of government/military work across the country.  The main office is currently near 244 and 129th E. Ave. and they also have an office in downtown OKC.  The Ross proposal would mean another 50 or so employees downtown and [what sounds like] a better urban design for Greenwood between 1st and 2nd.

Rico
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2010, 05:19:07 pm »

In your opinion then, the TDA is now going to begin to act rationally?
Try to do things a tad quicker than has been their recent lap..se  time?

I ask you this in all sincerity as your opinion I hold in very high regard.

Kenosha
Philanthropist

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2010, 08:41:00 pm »

In your opinion then, the TDA is now going to begin to act rationally?
Try to do things a tad quicker than has been their recent lap..se  time?

I ask you this in all sincerity as your opinion I hold in very high regard.

Oh..well.  I wish I had that kind of insight.  The meeting was well attended, and the chairman was pretty on top of the meeting, so from that standpoint it would be hard for any funny bidness to occur. As we know, anything can happen... I can't say how long this will take.  I would imagine that the Ross Group proposal, as it is a cash deal, can happen quickly.  The Boston and Archer projects will likely need more vetting, and financial details.  My impression is that Mr Pegues (Sp?) runs a tight ship, and is legitimately trying to manage things properly.  The rank and file staff will have to become more accustomed to working under more of a microscope.  People are definitely paying attention.

spartanokc
OKC Nag
Citizen

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2010, 12:28:57 am »

Could someone remind me which building the Hartford Building is? Are we sure it's in "disrepair" ..

The Ross proposal sounds pretty good, and like I said in my first post in the thread, you gotta go with the projects that actually would come to fruition. This is another large scale pipe dream, and the track record has been god-awful for those.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 12:35:00 am by spartanokc » Logged

Rico
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2010, 08:02:13 am »

Could someone remind me which building the Hartford Building is? Are we sure it's in "disrepair" ..

The Ross proposal sounds pretty good, and like I said in my first post in the thread, you gotta go with the projects that actually would come to fruition. This is another large scale pipe dream, and the track record has been god-awful for those.

Here you go amigo. This is from the high dollar firm that gas done squat in the way of moving these properties made available by the City Hall move.

Click on "close up def" to view Hartford. "The old City Permit Center" among other things.

http://tulsalandopportunities.com/property2.html
Kenosha
Philanthropist

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2010, 10:29:12 am »

Its an awful awful building.

Rico
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2010, 11:32:41 am »

The TDA meeting via The World translation:

Downtown housing proposals roll in
One is for rental property while the other is for owner-occupied condos.

By P.J. LASSEK World Staff Writer
Published: 5/9/2010  2:26 AM
Last Modified: 5/9/2010  5:06 AM

Proposals for downtown housing continue to roll into the Tulsa Development Authority.

Last week, the authority received two proposals for a 0.25 acre site in the Brady District on the northwest corner of Archer Street and Boston Avenue, where a parking lot is currently located.

The authority heard presentations from two out-of-state development firms interested in the site, which is appraised at $252,000.

One of the proposals is for affordable rental housing called the Brady District Flats.

Minneapolis-St. Paul-based MetroPlains LLC is proposing a project of about $6 million for construction of a four-story, 30-unit structure with rental rates ranging from $460 to $800 a month. There also will be 4,500 square feet of commercial space and subsurface parking.

The architect for the project, Mike Sikes of Sikes-Abernathie Architects, said MetroPlains is very familiar with the Brady District and has been working with the George Kaiser Family Foundation on projects in the area.

Randy Schold, principal of MetroPlains, told the authority that his company has been involved in rehabilitation of historic buildings in numerous states. Schold also cited some local work, including the Berryhill Building in Sapulpa, the Aldridge Apartments in McAlester and the Will Rogers Apartments in Claremore. He said the company is active in six states.

Schold said that none of MetroPlains' work gets done without partnerships.

He said MetroPlains is an expert in layering federal, state and local financing. He said the proposed Tulsa project is seeking $1.3 million in financing from federal HOME funds.

The second project proposed by Tre One of California is for an energy-efficient four-story structure, costing about $7 million, with 40 condominiums for sale ranging from $155,000 to $295,000.

Kevin Stephens of Tre One told the authority that ground-floor retail spaces would front Boston Avenue with covered parking behind the building.

The condominiums would fill the remaining floors with a common second-floor deck and garden.

Stephens said the project is targeting the needs identified in the downtown housing study. The group's background is in energy-efficient, "green" construction that allows Tre One to produce zero-net energy housing.

Stephens said the proposed project is not contingent of any financing or tax credits.

Stephens said the collective experience of Tre One team members is worldwide with urban redevelopment projects in China, Australia and costal areas in south Florida, Tampa and Miami.

For the past four years, Stephens said he has been purchasing and redeveloping property in and around midtown Tulsa, including historical residential and infill condominiums.

Tulsa Development Authority Executive Director O.C. Walker expects to ask for a vote on entering negotiations with one of the groups at a May 20 meeting.

"TDA seeks the highest and best use of development in the downtown area," he said.

You just have to Love that final quote.

Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2010, 11:48:43 am »

Disrepair or not, it's a chance to replace a mistake of a building with a proper use of the space. 
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2010, 08:14:21 am »

So Kenosha, are you saying Formaation's proposal is nothing but a pie-in-the-sky or are they just so early in the process, they have not had time to nail anything down?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
AVERAGE JOE
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2010, 10:39:44 am »

Disrepair or not, it's a chance to replace a mistake of a building with a proper use of the space. 
The building was the proper use of space when it was originally built. Railroad tracks used to cut through the site diagonally. The west (angled) side of the building was used for loading and unloading goods. You can see in the upper right of the photo the diagonal indentation of the tracks in the concrete. There's also the remnants of a building foundation in the grass vacant lot above the Hartford building - it was angled as well.
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2010, 11:34:01 am »

That's really interesting.  I always wondered why the building was shaped so.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2010, 07:22:36 am »

FWIW, I like the OKC Trolley, and I agree with your points about Architecture and modernism.  I would be pleased as punch with that streetcar.  The 'old timey' trolley does nothing for me.   It reeks of 'tourist-y', and makes it difficult to imagine it as a legitimate mode of transport.

I do know what happened in the TDA meeting yesterday.  I'll cut to the chase: the Formaation guys presentation was incredibly thin...mostly marketing fluff.  Chuck Tollefsen, who is clearly a marketing guy, managed to belittle TDA Board member Paula Bryant Ellis by calling her "that girl" at one point.  There was very little information on how they are going to pay for this, other than citing 'layers of government programs'.  His presentation was full of misinformation: that tax credits for the Ross Group were "in progress" (not true, as evidenced by Ross Groups own presentation moments later), and that the TDA was "in process" to approve his project (they are considering the sale of land..they are not approving his project).

IMO, other than his associations with Flintco, Matrix, and Gensler (I suppose. They weren't there.) it appears that this group's ability to start, much less complete, this project is a serious question.  I doubt the TDA will go for it.

The Ross Group had a very nice presentation, I thought.  Tear down the Hartford Building (that building is problematic, to say the least.  It leaks like a sieve.  The fake stucco is falling off, and the floor to ceiling heights are short.), and replace it with a 3 story, 60,000 sq foot LEED Silver building, replete with a green roof and geo-thermal heating and cooling.  The building would be pushed to the Greenwood frontage, with parking behind it.  And they are paying for the land with cash.  I expect TDA to work something out with them.   The only thing i questioned is why they need all three parcels.  the balance will be for parking, and with just 75-100 employees, I'd question the need.  Maybe they have trucks or equipment they keep on site.

Land Legacy's presentation was equally as impressive. Love the idea of a linear park in the east village, as a catalyst for development.  That is the kind of public/private investment that downtown needs.  KMO presented a project adjacent to the park that would include 50 for sale units, ranging from 165-300k.

Two proposals were put forth for the TDA parcel at Boston and Archer.  Metroplains, a development company out of Minneapolis, proposed a 40? unit project with underground parking using a variety of federal (HOME) funds and Low Income Housing Tax Credits, so I assume this will be a low income housing project.  The other proposal was from Kevin Stephens...a 30? unit project (Urban Green I think is what he called it.)  30 -788 sq ft 1 brm 1 bath units...green patio on the second floor...3 commercial spaces on the ground floor (approx 7000 sq ft.) and parking in the back and underneath part of the building, I believe.  It seemed to be market rate housing.  Very nice project.  I think the Metroplains proposal is a bit thin, because of timing.  They need site control in order to apply for some grant, and I am not sure the TDA schedule will allow it.  I like the Stephens project, and he says he has the investors to move forward, so if either one is selected, I would imagine it would be his, if I were a gambling man.

Looks like these are the projects TDA has selected.  I think Formaation has good ideas but I'm not sure they would be able to actually do it at such a large-scale.  Maybe it would be better for them to concentrate on a block at a time and grow the East Village in a more organic fashion.  

I'll be interested to see to renderings of these proposed projects.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=334&articleid=20100524_11_A1_TheTul620095

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org