A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:52:28 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sproutz on Harvard  (Read 73646 times)
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2010, 02:50:24 pm »

That seems like an unusual step for a bank to take to step in and re-open a restaurant.  Usually they simply liquidate everything.  I'm sorry to hear this apparently didn't work out for the Ellers.  Don had some success in the restaurant business previously.

No bank...Another partner stepped in a took a majority ownership......He's working his tail off to make this place work....

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2010, 03:11:08 pm »

No bank...Another partner stepped in a took a majority ownership......He's working his tail off to make this place work....

Is Madaline still there?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2010, 11:51:44 pm »

I dont think so...

DTowner
City Father

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2010, 08:37:41 am »

It seems like more is going on here than the typical struggling/failed restaurant.  First, they had not been open that long.  That was pretty quick to burn through their capital.  Second, the food and service were very good.  Places selling much more mediocre food stay in business for years.  Third, they appeared to be very busy the times I was there.  I know, the old adage of "we're losing money on every sandwhich, so let's sell more of them" could've been at play, but given the prior restaurant experience of the owners that seems unlikely.

Whatever happened, I hope it makes it because I do love that short rib sandwhich.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2010, 07:42:20 pm »

It seems like more is going on here than the typical struggling/failed restaurant.  First, they had not been open that long.  That was pretty quick to burn through their capital.  Second, the food and service were very good.  Places selling much more mediocre food stay in business for years.  Third, they appeared to be very busy the times I was there.  I know, the old adage of "we're losing money on every sandwhich, so let's sell more of them" could've been at play, but given the prior restaurant experience of the owners that seems unlikely.

Whatever happened, I hope it makes it because I do love that short rib sandwhich.

The former owners other rest. went under too...

rdj
City Father

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2010, 10:41:14 am »

I had lunch there last week.  The corn chowder with crab biscuits was excellent.  It was packed.  We had to wait for a table.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2010, 04:05:00 pm »

The former owners other rest. went under too...

So did his car dealership

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rothkogirl
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2010, 07:01:47 pm »

No majority partner...in ownership that I do KNOW:) and pretty sure its still the Ellers whom have always worked their tail off....still strong, still yummy!
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2010, 09:04:47 pm »

No majority partner...in ownership that I do KNOW:) and pretty sure its still the Ellers whom have always worked their tail off....still strong, still yummy!

Could not  be more wrong....Its about to sink again......

rothkogirl
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2010, 11:18:03 am »

Could not  be more wrong....Its about to sink again......

Are you the owner? if not why would you post this....I think most people are advocates for small businesses succeeding in Tulsa! that is one of the greatest things about our community, I think anyway.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2010, 11:32:18 am »

Are you the owner? if not why would you post this....I think most people are advocates for small businesses succeeding in Tulsa! that is one of the greatest things about our community, I think anyway.

Small businesses shouldn't succeed JUST because they're small businesses.  They should succeed because local residents WANT to be patrons.  If you are putting out a sub-par product, it doesn't matter if you're Wal-Mart or the local General Store, you'll fail if that's all you put out.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
rothkogirl
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2010, 11:56:11 am »

Small businesses shouldn't succeed JUST because they're small businesses.  They should succeed because local residents WANT to be patrons.  If you are putting out a sub-par product, it doesn't matter if you're Wal-Mart or the local General Store, you'll fail if that's all you put out.

Absolutley! however, they have had tremendous success and maybe not on your front but the patrons that I have seen in there are totally crazed about the food, enviornment and love having their presence in Tulsa. Ive not heard any remarks of a sub-par product....hmmmm, you sound a little offended~ didnt mean to offend just stating that Tulsa has always been home to supportive folks in all areas of local business...I think that is great as alot of communities are not.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2010, 12:40:13 pm »

Absolutley! however, they have had tremendous success and maybe not on your front but the patrons that I have seen in there are totally crazed about the food, enviornment and love having their presence in Tulsa. Ive not heard any remarks of a sub-par product....hmmmm, you sound a little offended~ didnt mean to offend just stating that Tulsa has always been home to supportive folks in all areas of local business...I think that is great as alot of communities are not.

I agree, the food is great and the place seems to have a following.  But something is wrong with the business model if they can't stay afloat.  One problem I see with the initial concept was such a crowded space.  I'm wondering if they thought they would have more catering business up front which would explain the mini-van/truck thingy they have.

I don't think anyone is arguing the product or dedication to the product.  Somehow their business model seems shakey.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2010, 01:09:58 pm »

I agree, the food is great and the place seems to have a following.  But something is wrong with the business model if they can't stay afloat.  One problem I see with the initial concept was such a crowded space.  I'm wondering if they thought they would have more catering business up front which would explain the mini-van/truck thingy they have.

I don't think anyone is arguing the product or dedication to the product.  Somehow their business model seems shakey.

And when I say 'sub par product', I'm talking about what C is alluding to.  Product doesn't always mean exclusively the consumable end of the product.  It includes those tangibles that make the end product appealing.  That INCLUDES bad or good word of mouth.  That can be a positive or detriment to a business to the extreme.

Good word of mouth = Eliot Nelson's businesses, Eric Marshall.
Bad word of mouth = pretty much anything opened by Steve Kitchell in the last 10 years.  Why do you think he has his fingers in so many pots right now.  He doesn't have the ability to find a good business model.  He had it with the Ocean Club in the 90s, but that was it.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2010, 01:48:16 pm »

And when I say 'sub par product', I'm talking about what C is alluding to.  Product doesn't always mean exclusively the consumable end of the product.  It includes those tangibles that make the end product appealing.  That INCLUDES bad or good word of mouth.  That can be a positive or detriment to a business to the extreme.

Good word of mouth = Eliot Nelson's businesses, Eric Marshall.
Bad word of mouth = pretty much anything opened by Steve Kitchell in the last 10 years.  Why do you think he has his fingers in so many pots right now.  He doesn't have the ability to find a good business model.  He had it with the Ocean Club in the 90s, but that was it.

Come on now, I always heard Steve had a very profitable business model, it just didn't have much to do with bars. At least that's what my cop friends used to tell me.

I knew Joe a bit and he never hurt for cash and never did anything.

Does Steve own the new Midnight Rodeo in Jenks?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org