A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 05:37:15 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Can Has New Bar on Riverwalk?  (Read 13882 times)
Hawkins
« on: April 15, 2010, 11:19:42 am »

Shameless rip off of a franchise here.

There is a Hooters-like franchise called the Tilted Kilt, where the well-endowed barmaids wear skimpy Scottish mini-skirts. Looks legid-

http://www.tiltedkilt.com/

Franchising fees for this operation can reach past $600,000. http://www.franchising.com/tiltedkilt/requirements/

Since no one in their right mind (whose last name isn't Blacketer) would invest that kind of cash on the Riverwalk (with its long list of failed restaurants/bars), it looks like we've got a ripped off version of the Tilted Kilt coming.

The sign for it went up this week. It is called--get this--the Twisted Tilt.

The Tilted Kilt and the Twisted Tilt. Say that 3 times out loud if you can!  Cheesy

Anyway, the Twisted Tilt logo has a golden hurricane, so they make it work, I guess. Rumor has it though it will be a sports bar with scantily clad ladies serving up the brew, but they probably won't be wearing kilts.

All in the backdrop of ORU in a strip center in conservative Jenks.

I tell you guys, this Riverwalk just cracks me up. Will this one make it? Place your bets now.

Tsunami and T-Kei's have both failed in that building. Dirty's Sports Bar lasted about a year out there, the outdoor "Boat Bar" has a new owner every year, and Louie's (on the corner in front of the Riverwalk) doesn't exactly look like its raking in the cash.  Roll Eyes

--
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 11:25:31 am by Hawkins » Logged
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 11:46:03 am »

Los Cabos, on the other hand, is doing very, very well. i was at the Riverwalk this past weekend and saw this was opening. I didn't pay much attention to it. Actually, I didn't even know that Dirty's closed.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 01:06:00 pm »

Riverwalk?
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 01:22:43 pm »

As a RW regular I can offer:

I don’t know about the new place (yet) but I can offer my opinion of the others mentioned.

TK's 2 = Deserved the fate, it seemed to lack any charter and the service was terrible from day one. I tried it many times, really wanted it to make it.

Tsunami = Was average at best I was there opening night and later too.  I do give them strong marks because they tried hard (I hope they come back), just seemed too big of a stretch.

Dirty's = The bar food was good but it felt like a barn...

Boat Bar = I still don't understand it, maybe I’m too old.  

Louie's = Not Cabos numbers by any stretch but I have to disagree they do a strong steady (heavy repeat) business, often a short wait weekend evenings but with the turn times they pull off it is not noticeable.  The menu is good as are the prices very reasonable (nothing over $10)... I'm a regular.

Don’t forget

Gina and Giuseppe’s = great hand tossed pizza and general Italian menu at reasonable prices, good steady business and a wait at heavy times.

Melting Pot = seems to be still dipping.

What I miss is the Ale House, it was quite good had excellent service but seemed to lack the curb appeal to get people in the door.  

« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 01:27:47 pm by Vision 2025 » Logged

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 01:33:55 pm »

You said the magic word "Gina and Giuseppe’s".

I went in one day for lunch with my sister and mother.  Ordered a pizza, add artichoke hearts.  Got about 2/3 through the pizza and realized that there were no artichoke hearts on the pizza, (as you all know, artichoke hearts have a pretty distinct flavor).  I asked the manager (probably owner) to remove the $1 charge for artichokes, she went back to talk to the cook.  She came back and informed me that the chef said they put artichoke hearts on the pizza.  I showed her the remaining 1/3 of the pizza, above and below the cheese and asked her to find the artichoke hearts.  The best she could find was a small piece of a pepper or onion.  She continued to argue with me.  I finally just said, fine I will pay the $1.  Then she said she would take the dollar off after I agreed to pay the $1.  I do not remember if I allowed her to remove the dollar or not. 

Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 01:36:04 pm »

LOL, I love these Riverwalk threads.  My favorite is the "its always so busy when I go there", who is going to be the first on this thread?  Because you go when it is warm and not raining!

Louie's appears to be doing well, I don't count it as "Riverwalk" though.
dbacks fan
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 02:01:54 pm »

I found this article in TW http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=32&articleid=20100217_32_E1_Constr275032 and it sounds like an interesting mix of businesses including "Midnight Rodeo" http://clubmidnightrodeo.com/ with mechanical bull included.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 02:10:42 pm »

The article calls it Twisted Tilt, not "Kilt".  Blind Lemon Blues Bar sounds like about a six month to year tennant.

Jerry Gordon didn't do well with his center with Easy Rider's and moving El Paso BBQ over to 71st east of 169.  And I'm curious about the group he secured additional $3mm in financing from taking over er assuming management of RWC.  I'd heard somewhere Alehaus was owned in whole or partially by Gordon.  Not that not having Marshall's when they opened would be a reason for failure, but I was supremely disappointed the manager of Alehaus told me he had never heard of Marshall's Brewing Company when they were first opening.  He really didn't seem to have much knowledge of any American "microbrews" other than Sam Adams or Boulevard.  With a name like "Alehaus" you'd think they would have been a bit more knowledgeable about good beer.

I don't want to cast dispersions, but I'm curious how well RWC is really doing.

"American National Bank of Texas is the main lender for the RiverWalk project, though Gordon turned to Dallas-based Orda Corp. for a supplemental loan of $3 million. Orda has assumed day-to-day management of RiverWalk Crossing.

Construction is also well under way on the RiverWalk Apartments, a separate development by TranAlliance Development Group. The company, headed by John and Stuart Price, purchased the northern 10 acres of the area from Gordon for $1.8 million in 2008.

John Price said the 234 units should be finished in the spring.

In the original part of RiverWalk Crossing, Calistoga Grill has opened in the former location of the Alehaus restaurant.

The former location of the TK's 2 Asian restaurant remains closed, though Jeff Kaste of Grubb & Ellis, leasing agent for RiverWalk Crossing, said he has leased it to Twisted Tilt, a 5,843-square-foot bar and grill with a dance floor.
Blind Lemons, a blues-oriented bar, is expected to open soon in the northern 5,080 square feet in the shopping center. "

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=32&articleid=20100217_32_E1_Constr275032
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 02:13:01 pm by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hawkins
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 03:22:45 pm »

You said the magic word "Gina and Giuseppe’s".

I went in one day for lunch with my sister and mother.  Ordered a pizza, add artichoke hearts.  Got about 2/3 through the pizza and realized that there were no artichoke hearts on the pizza, (as you all know, artichoke hearts have a pretty distinct flavor).  I asked the manager (probably owner) to remove the $1 charge for artichokes, she went back to talk to the cook.  She came back and informed me that the chef said they put artichoke hearts on the pizza.  I showed her the remaining 1/3 of the pizza, above and below the cheese and asked her to find the artichoke hearts.  The best she could find was a small piece of a pepper or onion.  She continued to argue with me.  I finally just said, fine I will pay the $1.  Then she said she would take the dollar off after I agreed to pay the $1.  I do not remember if I allowed her to remove the dollar or not.  

Yeah, they chased me off with that mentality too.

Why argue with a customer over something so insignificant? An apology and a dollar refunded and the situation would have been closed. Instead we're meeting up here on the internet and talking about how "classy" they are. For me it was 'well done' meatballs. Apparently, theirs have to be pink in the middle or they burn. I was like, okay, then I'm leaving. And I did.

And they don't care.

But to answer you, Conan, I think the place is doing terrible. You seem to know a lot about it. Yes, Ale Haus was an odd joke. So is this "Blind Lemon" thing. I think the addition of it and this upcoming rip off of the Tilted Kilt, the Twisted Tilt--LOL just shows how desperate the place is to find tenants.

The new place, Calistoga, seems very upper class. They have better management and service for sure. However, I'll close with a bold prediction. Before the end of this year, either Gina and Guiseppe's or Melting Pot will not longer be open.

--

« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 03:25:40 pm by Hawkins » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 03:30:35 pm »

Yeah, they chased me off with that mentality too.

Why argue with a customer over something so insignificant? For me it was 'well done' meatballs. Apparently, theirs have to be pink in the middle or they burn. I was like, okay, then I'm leaving. And I did.

And they don't care.

But to answer you, Conan, I think the place is doing terrible. You seem to know a lot about it. Yes, Ale Haus was an odd joke. So is this "Blind Lemon" thing. I think the addition of it and this upcoming rip off of the Tilted Kilt, the Twisted Tilt--LOL just shows how desperate the place is to find tenants.

The new place, Calistoga, seems very upper class. They have better management and service for sure. However, I'll close with a bold prediction. Before the end of this year, either Gina and Guiseppe's or Melting Pot will not longer be open.

--

Melting Pot, by all accounts, does well.  Not really my cup o' tea or pot of fat though.

I've still never been and I'm rarely out at RWC anymore as I just don't have time to go out that way.  It's usually a friend's birthday or Facebook reunion or some such thing.  The Cigar Box seems to be doing quite well, but again, a smoky place and I don't do smoky places well.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hawkins
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 10:30:11 am »

Okay now I feel really bad.

As you may have figured out, I frequent this area a lot. I wish Tulsa had more Riverfront development.

Anyhow, this Twisted Tilt place isn't all that bad. The food (particularly the flatbread pizza and chicken sandwich) are pretty good.

Just happened to stop by and peak in yesterday around 7:30ish. The All-Star game was on the dozen or so TVs in there (including a projector screen) and yet, the entire place was dead empty. Not even a single customer at the bar.

Now folks, this is really sad. The Twisted Tilt seems to be a true sports bar, not some poop-hole like Dirty's or Blind Lemon was. And yet--complete abandonment by the Jenks/South Tulsa community.

I wonder how long it will be before they board up the entire Riverwalk.  Embarrassed

/Island Nation has also left.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 10:48:59 am »

Okay now I feel really bad.

As you may have figured out, I frequent this area a lot. I wish Tulsa had more Riverfront development.

Anyhow, this Twisted Tilt place isn't all that bad. The food (particularly the flatbread pizza and chicken sandwich) are pretty good.

Just happened to stop by and peak in yesterday around 7:30ish. The All-Star game was on the dozen or so TVs in there (including a projector screen) and yet, the entire place was dead empty. Not even a single customer at the bar.

Now folks, this is really sad. The Twisted Tilt seems to be a true sports bar, not some poop-hole like Dirty's or Blind Lemon was. And yet--complete abandonment by the Jenks/South Tulsa community.

I wonder how long it will be before they board up the entire Riverwalk.  Embarrassed

/Island Nation has also left.

I haven't been to the Riverwalk in a long time, sounds like I'm not the only one..

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 10:50:52 am »

I haven't been to the Riverwalk in a long time

Same

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 11:47:13 am »

It's kind of like, "what's the point"? 

Can do better in downtown Oolagah.  Every day but Sunday and Monday.  (Black Jaxx - bar b que)

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 01:08:52 pm »

Riverwalk needs to be big enough that everyone who comes wants to do 203 things minimum. ie. dinner & movie, dinner & shopping, movie & drinks, etc. The retail is sparse and sparsely open so most people go to Los Cabos and then leave. You can't support a walkable district when everyone leaves after visiting one place. Not worth the trouble driving there and parking 2 blocks away.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org