A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:03:52 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Green Shoots  (Read 2013 times)
we vs us
City Father

« on: April 02, 2010, 12:44:46 pm »

The economy added 162,000 jobs in March, a major uptick from the month before, which was a loss of 14,000. Up to 48,000 of the March jobs came from census hiring, but even without that the gain would still be +114,000. 

Obviously it's slow going (unemployment still hovering just under 10%) but an undeniable improvement. 

The White House's graph looks like this:

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 01:15:41 pm »

Nice to see the Obama Admin isn't campaigning against the Bush Admin anymore.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 01:26:06 pm »

The one question I asked when I saw this was:  How can 162,000 jobs be added and the unemployment rate remain unchanged?  Here is an article that I think answered my question:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2010/04/02/john-lott-unemployment-numbers-mixed/

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 01:42:45 pm »

Nice to see the Obama Admin isn't campaigning against the Bush Admin anymore.

More properly, campaigning against the last 12 months of Bush Admin.  Which happens to coincide with some pretty awful job loss, as per the graph.

In general, it's going to be nearly impossible to not campaign against the Bush Admin for next couple of cycles.  They have been the font of so many juicy (and popularly objectionable) things, it's just easy to do. 

Personally, I hope the Bush Admin stays in the popular mind as something to campaign against.  I really don't want to repeat that era any time soon.

YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 01:30:02 am »

Can I hate both Bush and Obama?

we vs us
City Father

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 06:01:41 am »

Can I hate both Bush and Obama?

It's a free country.
waterboy
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 08:02:38 am »

Conan, how else would you show historical data like this? I guess you could leave off the name of the leader of the country during the 12 months preceding 2008 but it would look strange and I would guess you'd say unfair. Or you could leave off both leaders' names and make it look like they each had nothing to do with the results. If this were a presentation showing a company's growth, I would certainly expect that it would be put in some context rather than just date.

Is that what you mean by "reach around"? Smiley

Btw, my reading of those figures is that the job loss is viewed monthly whereas the % unemployment is probably cumulative. It is designed to show a trend.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 07:13:06 am »

Does any of this make sense to anyone.

New jobless claims rise:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/04/08/new-jobless-claims-rise/?test=latestnews

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org